“Lovely Refurbished Theater”

Tibbits Opera House
Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Coldwater
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1882, Tibbits Opera House features an exquisite, award-winning, French Second Empire exterior. It is among the oldest theatres in Michigan. Rich in history and ambiance, the theatre offers nearly perfect acoustics, an intimate 500-seat setting, and great entertainment year round. Shows vary from professional Summer Theatre, family shows, and an Entertainment Series of professional touring performers to community events, plays, musicals, concerts and variety shows. The building houses a permanent 19th century art collection and a unique community mural of "American Gothic." An art gallery exhibits shows by regional artists. Tours are available by appointment.
Reviewed October 7, 2017

I've been to Tibbetts several times for plays. It's a small, intimate theater. I've been fortunate to sit fairly close to the stage on all my visits so acoustics have been very good. I'm planning to see Jeff Daniels there in November so this will be a different type event. The only issue I have, which won't effect most people, is that the seats are very low. I've had bi-lateral knee replacement so low things aren't as easy for me to navigate. All in all, I highly recommend this theater.

Stephanie B, Director of Operations at Tibbits Opera House, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2017

Thank you for your review. We're happy you'll be joining us in November!

In case you didn't know, we do have some "booster seat" cushions available. They are put out during kids' events, but not for general events. Any usher would be delighted to get you a cushion. Sometimes I've used them as additional back support if I'm dealing with back pain on the night of a show...one or two of these might be the solution for you, too!

All reviews
"summer theater"
"small town"
"old building"
in 4 reviews
"beautiful building"
"great place"
in 5 reviews
"definitely worth a visit"
in 2 reviews
"play"
in 8 reviews
"interior"

Reviewed October 3, 2017

we have been to plays, concerts and weddings here. The old opera house is a nice venue. Comfy seating, wide isles and there is always someone there to answer any questions you may have.

Stephanie B, Director of Operations at Tibbits Opera House, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2017

Thank you for your review! We hope you'll join us for other events, like our auction, Jeff Daniels concert, or Classic Film Series this fall!

Reviewed September 6, 2017

Tin its is awesome! The shows they put on are amazing!!! I saw Footloose and the singing and dancing were fabulous.

Reviewed August 16, 2017

Best popcorn theater for kids. Summer theater program is top notch. The architecture and history is so beautiful. Definitely worth a visit.

Stephanie B, Director of Audience Services & Outreach at Tibbits Opera House, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2017

Thank you so much for the review & for visiting us! I like to invite you to come for our Entertainment Series (Love, Loss & What I Wore; Jeff Daniels; Best of the Eagles, the Eagles Tribute Band; Comedy Fest) and our new Classic Film Series this fall/winter, too!