“My Detroit Favorite”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Dearborn
East Lansing, Michigan
“My Detroit Favorite”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

As a frequent business traveler, The Henry has become my favorite Detroit area "home away from home". You know upon arrival that you are in for a treat. The staff is very welcoming and professional. The lobby, restaurant and art gallery have set a new standard for Detroit hotels.

As part of their transition from a Ritz Carlton property, the sleeping rooms and public area have been updated offering a classy, urban vibe. Their TRIA restaurant offers up a variety of interesting small plates and some twists on more standard fare.  I am a pretty loyal Marriott customer and welcome the inclusion of The Henry into their Autograph Collection of hotels.

Room Tip: While their updates are mostly completed, request one of their renovated rooms.  Also, as a Platinum...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Southport, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 April 2012 via mobile

I travel frequently and have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world. The Henry is a great property. The rooms are comfortable and lobby and common areas are great especially with all the original artworks. The best part of the hotel is the friendliness and professionalism of their staff. From the front desk to the wait staff the doormen and the housecleaning. They all were welcoming. One of the housecleaning staff even thanked me for staying at The Henry! The last time I stayed there was about 4 months ago. When I stayed there this past week at least 3 staff members said "welcome back". Pretty impressive!

Stayed April 2012
Reviewed 3 April 2012 via mobile

I'm a frequent international traveler and have stayed in amazing properties all over the world. I was very impressed with The Henry and the calibre of the staff. Their Doorman Marty is well known and welcomes you as if you you are royalty. The housekeeping staff was very accommodating and extremely nice when we asked for turndown service; however, I was shocked that I needed to call for this basic service at such a high end hotel. Additionally, I was surprised at the sauna in the men's locker room. It made the whole room smell and needs to be replaced. It's in bad repair and the wood is sweat soaked and smells. Other men were complaining, so i know it wasnt just me. The desk outlets for laptops and chargers did not function! Im glad i wasnt on business. Also, there is no outlet at the nightstand for a CPAP machine or charger. Again, this is unheard of in high end business hotels. I would nly expect this overseas in remote areas. The rest of the facilities are great. I was also surprised to find the Club Level closed on the weekends. Coffee and soft drinks were available, but not restocked or cleaned during our stay, Friday afternoon until 11am checkout Saturday. I wanted my wife and kids to get the full experience, but it wasn't open. In all, it was a nice getaway for the night, but I was surprised by these issues.

Stayed March 2012
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I have stayed at the Henry many times now on business, and have enjoyed it tremendously. The staff are excellent, particularly the bell staff, who make an effort to know you by name. The hotel is known for its art collection, which is beautiful - something for everyone's tastes. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the gym serviceable, and the restaurant very good, but with limited healthy options. But it is the service that sets it apart. Helpful tip: take a Metro Car (executive car service) from the airport for a flat fee of $35.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Winter Haven, Florida
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The Henry is a former Ritz Carlton. According to the history. the hotel was built 21 years ago and then Marriott bought it as a part of their recent "Autograph Collection". The hotel has the feel and interior architecture of an older, "classic" hotel but with most of the modern amenities. Check in was flawless and very well mannered. We were greeted at the front door by a person in top hat and tails. The room was very spacious. The internet was included in the room rate and had generally very good speed. A good choice of TV channels. 24-hour room service was available. The bedding was very comfortable. The concierge lounge had an impressive array of snacks and space with some nice views of the surrouding area. The only "flaws" and why I have it rated at 4 out of 5 is there was no services binder in the room which would have described all of the things the hotel had to offer, no in-room refrigerator, and a lack of towels at times. Still, we had a wonderful visit and the rate was quite reasonable for it. The location was only a couple of miles to the Henry Ford Museum (though the instructions given by the hotel were not perfect) and there were several restaurants nearby.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robert_B037
Stratford, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed there on Mar 3, 2012 and thought it was just wonderful. Check-in was very quick. Clean, spacious room, free wifi, nice indoor pool and hot tub. My kids got a kick out of the top-hatted doorman who was super-friendly and well versed in Hello Kitty. I'd go back in a heartbeat. The Sunday morning brunch was rather expensive for what it was - $20 per adult - so I think I would hesitate to eat there again. The quality was ok but a rather limited selection for that amount of money. And the service was painfully slow.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank stfdgirl
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 February 2012

The service at this hotel has declined since the name changed from the Ritz Carleton. I had my wedding guests stay at the Henry. When I secured the room block, I was told that in order to secure a large room block I had to put down my credit card. I had no trouble doing so, as I expected a large group. Then the woman in charge of reservations encouraged me not to put my card down, as they would contact me well in advance if the hotel was anywhere near full. The hotel was essentially full when they contacted me, and my guests were being denied the negotiated rate and told that they must pay full price. Many of my guests were disappointed because they could not afford the full price.

In addition, I held a brunch on the Sunday after my wedding. I searched for someone after the brunch in order to settle the bill and was told that it would be put on my room charge. When I tried checking out, they told me that my room had already been taken care of. In the months to come, it was discovered that the hotel had charged me once for the breakfast and had also charged my brother for the same breakfast. The hotel noticed this discrepancy and refunded my charge instead of my brothers. When they contacted me to right the problem, they refused to credit my brother's account, which is illegal, since he was not in any way financially responsible for the bill. I was totally outraged.

That being said, the breakfast was lovely and the honeymoon suite was very nice. They even had chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us in our room.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Gusto41
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dearborn
2.8 km away
0.9 km away
Edward Village Michigan
Edward Village Michigan
#12 of 18 in Dearborn

Been to The Henry, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!