1,855 results
All reviews food court volt bar people mover coach insignia ren cen cvs pharmacy the concierge lounge high rise general motors view of the river huge hotel world headquarters across the river high floor gm headquarters jazz festival valet parking
Reviewed October 7, 2015

In 25 years of staying in hotels around the world for business, and this was a first!! I booked a room for 1 night because I was a guest presenter for a conference being held at the Marriott. When I arrived I was informed that the hotel was "overbooked" and had no rooms left. I was shocked. The worst part was the complete indifference of the front desk staff. I spoke to 3 people including the manager and it was very clear that this is a normal practice for the hotel. The hotel staff could have cared less that I was out on the street in downtown Detroit. While I stood at the front desk trying to call hotels to find a last minute room, 15 people must have checked in to the "overbooked" Marriott. I asked if perhaps they did not have a record of my reservation, but the staff were please to report that I had booked the room 3 months in advance, but that they had given my room away, likely because they could charge another guest more than the rate I booked at through the conference. I asked how this happened and was told that "...its like overselling an airline flight - the airlines do it all the time....you will just have to find another hotel, Sir". I spend over 100 nights a year in hotels when travelling for business and I've had my share of issues with rooms and reservations. But I've never had hotel staff be so blatantly indifferent to my situation. Normally they at least pretend to care but I guess the front desk staff at the Marriott Ren Cen are so used to not honoring guaranteed reservations that they have forgotten to put on their "I care about your situation" face as they push you to the curb.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
10  Thank Tech_CEO
Reviewed October 7, 2015

Excellent hotel for downtown Detroit. The views over the city and across to Windsor are amazing. Expected Marriott standards. Helpful staff a second great stay. Recommend you stay on floors 60 plus for best views

Room Tip: Use the people mover for 75c per trip to get round the city
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane S
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2015

Hello Jane and thank you very much for taking the time to post. We appreciate the feedback and are happy to hear you enjoyed! Thank you also for the tip on Detroit's People Mover - we agree it's a great way to see downtown and experience several area attractions. Thank you and please visit again soon.

Reviewed October 5, 2015

I attended the MCWT Signature Gala at the Marriott Ren Cen. The food was good, but the service was horrible. The hotel was clearly NOT prepared for the number of people.
When we arrived at the hotel, the line to get to valet was wrapped the entire perimeter of the tower. It took us 45 minutes from the time we arrived until we got to valet. As we approached, we knew why, there were only a handful of valet workers.
When we left later in the evening, once again, we watched the chaos, and lack of staff as they ran around trying to get cars. It took us 20 minutes to get ours.
But the WORST part - this was a banquet for over 500 people, and of course, there will be vegetarians. The hotel did not make a vegetarian dish, and those who don't eat meat were not served a dinner. Imagine how uncomfortable we felt as we sat and ate our dinner, and our Indian co-worker had no dinner to eat because the only option was chicken and beef!!!! What was even worse, the staff got very defensive about it, and stated arguing with us when we asked where her dinner was. Very poor service.
I would NEVER recommend this hotel for an event. They clearly do not know how to handle a large crowd.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank jlosensky
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2015

Hello and thank you for taking the time to post about your experience. We are truly sorry for any and all disappointment during your conference experience. With over 100,000 sq. ft in event space and over 1300 guest rooms, there are unfortunately times when our valet and event front desk area can temporarily see a back-up of sorts due entirely to the massive number of guests we are hosting at one particular time. We apologize if this was the case however judging from the small number in your group, we assume there were other events factoring in to any unexpected wait. At any event, we are truly sorry. As for the menu at your function, these are plans made well in advance by the client and event organizers and of course our team. We apologize if there was no request in advance for special meals. Once again, we truly apologize for any disappointment and we do thank you for taking the time to post.

Reviewed October 4, 2015 via mobile

The room was great we actually got an upgrade due to it being my boyfriend's birthday! We ended up on the 70th floor with an awesome view. The room was very clean. I even pulled down the sheets because of other reviews I had seen but was glad to say that there were no problems. The bed was very comfy and so were the pillows. I slept great! No problems with the shower and we had a nice flat screen, fridge and coffee maker. The only problem was that the phone in our room did not work and they need to put more towels in the rooms. Over all we were very pleased with the hotel and would recommend this place to everyone.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2015

Hello Susan and thank you for visiting for such a special occasion. Thank you so much for the wonderful four stars and your many comments. We're happy to hear that everything was to your liking and we have passed your comments regarding the phone and towel situation to our executive team. Thank you once again and please visit soon in the future!

Reviewed October 3, 2015 via mobile

Hotel room was very comfortable. Room was clean, staff was friendly. Only minor complaint was that it was huge and a little difficult to navigate. For the huge size, they could have had more casual (rather than dressier) places to eat in the hotel. Starbucks should open before 8am ;) greektown was fun to visit.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Toni M
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2015

Greetings and thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to post. We appreciate the four stars as well as the feedback regarding Starbucks. We also are constantly reviewing our way-fining signage in an attempt to offer a more seamless navigation in and around GM Renaissance Center. We apologize if you had difficulties. The complex is indeed enormous! Thank you for your feedback and know that we are always working to improve. Thanks again and we hop to see you in the future.