Open today: 6:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Most Beautiful time

Experience the park at the Christmas holidays for a magical experience! MUST see during the... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
bjcmich
Newport, Michigan
Wonderful

So very nice to take a stroll in and around the park. Plenty to see and do. I would highly... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
Brian D
Asheville, North Carolina

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Detroit
from US$19.99
from US$21.60
from US$75.00
More Info
All reviews ice skating christmas tree beach sand heart of downtown ping pong water fountain free concerts all ages visited detroit few blocks a lot of fun across the street detroit river boating skates rink smores
Reviewed December 9, 2017

Campus Martius Park is located in the heart of Downtown Detroit. In the summer time they offer basketball, waterfalls and live music and in the winter its a wonderland. My family and I like to just park the car and walk around. There are several restaurants in walking distance of the park like Hard Rock Café, Texas De Brazil and Shake Shack. Starbucks is located across the street for a nice hot chocolate while looking at the giant Christmas Tree. The Ice skating ring is a great activity if your looking to get your moves on. If your in the mood to do some shopping the Nike Store and Under Armor are not to far. They have heated concession stands and food trucks right in the area so if you don't want to venture away you are close to the festivities. I'm happy Detroit is bringing more and more family oriented things to do to the Downtown area. Have Fun!

Reviewed December 6, 2017

I was surprised when a business associate took me downtown to walk the streets of Detroit. I felt at ease as I enjoyed the Christmas decorations all the way to the rivers edge.

Reviewed December 5, 2017

Hey I was by here , to see Christmas light"s and some ice skating WOW , every year it's get better here to see. I give it two thumbs up!

Reviewed December 3, 2017

I went to Campus Martius with 2 other families for a holiday gathering. Since the skating rink was open, we brought along our skates. It was a very busy night since there was another event, Noel Night, going on near by. The positives: the area was beautifully decorated and festive with a large lighted Christmas tree near the rink, our own Detroit version of Rockefeller Center in New York. There were also nice restaurants and shopping nearby, something that hadn't been available when I was a kid. There were tented areas set up with games and other fun activities for the kids. Security was everywhere and quickly handled issues.

We had 9 cranky teens with us and they all had fun skating and exploring the park. We set ourselves up at a small bar and fire pit area just across from the entrance to the rink. Despite the crowds, we managed to work our way into a table and chairs that fit our 3 families. The bar served beer, cocktails and a delicious spiked hot chocolate unlike anything I'd had before. A nearby concession stand sold regular hot chocolate and snacks as well as smore kits so that the kids could roast marshmallows in the fire pit and make smores. This little area was a great place to hang out and a great home base for the families.

All those who wanted to skate purchased wrist bands. There was a skate rental as well but the line was insanely long so we were very glad we had brought skates. I am not sure if this was due to the added crowds for the other downtown events or if this is the norm. The rental place offered the option of storing your shoes if you brought your own skates, for a fee, of course. We brought our skates in 2 large duffel bags and just put the shoes in there. We had enough people so that there was always someone to watch our stuff but the shoe storage is a nice option for a small family who all want to skate together. And FYI, you CANNOT go onto the rink without skates on.

The skating rink was pretty crowded and not very large but it was a lot of fun getting out there and sliding around looking at all the decorations and lights.

The negatives: There weren't too many negatives. The only major issue was that if security sees you drinking alcohol with skates on, they will remove your wrist band and you won't be allowed back on the rink. This is probably a good thing as I wouldn't want a bunch of super drunk people on the ice. In the words of the security guard, "you have razor blades on your feet." My beef is that there were no signs posted ANYWHERE warning about this policy. A sign posted in the bar area would have been nice. Another issue was the concession stand service was really slow. They were serving packaged snacks and pre-made hot chocolate so it was unclear to me why it took 35 minutes to buy a bottle of water.

My tips:
1. Consider taking Uber or another ride service. This eliminated the issue of finding parking. We are pretty far from Detroit so we drove to a location closer to the city and took an Uber car from there.
2. Do all your skating before you start drinking or remove your skates in the bar area and put on your shoes. Also, keep your wrist band out of sight while drinking.
3. Bring your own skates if possible. My friend scored skates for the whole family dirt cheap on Facebook marketplace.
4. Bring snacks and water. This will avoid the need to wait in the concession line.
5. End the evening with a trip to Lafayette or American Coney Island for chili dogs and fries. They are both near by. We caught our Uber from there.

1  Thank Kristen S
Reviewed November 30, 2017 via mobile

If you are in town after Thanksgiving through the end of December, I would recommend stopping for sure. They have a little shopping village in transparent tents and a much larger heated tented area with a bar that serves hot alcoholic drinks. There are also big Jenga pieces to play with friends and a giant magnetic Scrabble board.

They also have the ice rink and Christmas tree up around this time of year. The lighting was a week or two ago and I think there was over 60,000 there for the lighting or something crazy.