“Nicest in Detroit”

MGM Grand Detroit
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 October 2011

MGM is by far the nicest, most full service Casino in Detroit. It is the only casino built from the ground up; the others are upgrade of their "temporary" facilities. MGM has a nightclub. multiple bars and upscale dining. The rooms are fully appointed and have great views. Table limits run high in the casino, and there is no full pay video poker.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank spanky132
Write a ReviewReviews (1,126)

Reviewed 19 October 2011

stayed here for the Detroit Tigers opening day. The rooms were nice the hotel is great. lots of good places to eat. Nice TV in the room. If your coming to Detroit. You really need to stay at this hotel. Its worth the money. If you like poker they have a nice poker room.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Easy to get to being right off I-75 and superb valet service. Check-in was quick and easy. The staff is friendly and courteous. The room is gorgeous. We ate at the Palette(buffet) twice and really enjoyed everything we tried... and they had lots to choose from.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Very nice place and the staff is really great. The "living room" is really cool too. I would recommend this hotel and I say almost perfect because when I checked in there was no soap or shampoo, I called down and it was delivered immediately. The next night when I returned to my room housekeeping had done a great job of making the room, folding my clothes and really cleaning the room, but again no soap or shampoo. I called down again and this time the bellman brought me more that lasted for my stay. All in all the hotel has a great design and the rooms are well appointed, beds are nice and comfortable. The hotel is separated from the casino with an expansive lobby but you have to venture through a smoke ridden ocean of slot machines to get to any of the food options. I ate at the Breeze which is a food court type of thing (24 hour option) and the food was ok, the next night I ate at Pallete which is a buffet featuring different stations (asian, seafood, homestyle, italian, etc.) and again the food was ok. There was also a Wolfgang Puck and a Steakhouse on the property but I did not have the chance to try them.
The rooms are on the pricey side but the staff delivers great service and the valet parking is free which is a big plus, but they charge if you have any packages delivered and they charge for incidentals such as contact lens case, toothpaste, etc.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank moids
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Good food, great rooms, nice casino. The staff was unbelievably gracious and helpful. I am not even a gambler, and I enjoyed my trip and stay at this hotel. Very luxurious rooms and business friendly for a casino hotel. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Nice rooms all! I was very impressed with the accomodations.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Love the rooms, and decor of the hotel. Very High-End! Hotel is No Smoking which is nice. The casino is the most upscale option in Detroit. The price for room is very high, but check out the website, they offer packages that can include gambling credit, dining credit, ect...
I am a travel agent who travels extensively, this is about an hour from my suburban home, and makes for a nice overnight couples or girlfriend getaway. Wolfgand Puck restaurant is awesome! Never any luck gambling in casino, but still fun. Dinner Buffet is pretty good, with a lot of options. Location is not really within what I would consider a "safe" walking distance of other downtown attractions. Just take a cab, everything is very close by. Tigers and Lions Stadium, Fox Theater, Greektown, Restaurants, and other casinos all within a 5 minute cab ride. The hotel is actually one of my favorites as far as room design, very fine finishes and awesome bathrooms. Just be prepared to pay for it.

Room Tip: Corner Suites are Awesome, but pricey! Great for a romantic getaway!
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I had a VIP Bottle Service catered birthday party for my boyfriend and 6-friends.
I ordered $375 worth of alcohol and champagne. I gave the staff my debit card to charge. At the end of the night, my boyfriend decides he wants to pay the now $450 bill (16% gratuity) and gives the staff his credit card. The staff assures him his credit card will be charged and that my debit card would not (nice guy - eh?)

Well, 7-days later there is still a hold on my debit card for $450, and my boyfriend's credit card was billed the same amount.

No one from the V-Club responds to emails and there is no voice mail for the club that is only open Friday and Saturday 10pm-2am.

Room Tip: Stay away from the V-Club
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends