“Perfect get away”

MGM Grand Detroit
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed at the hotel.The service, kindness and hospitality we received, from the moment we arrived to when we departed (this includes every employee we came contact with , from restaurants, casino, bars) was so appreciated, it really made our visit superb. We left feeling so well taken of that we felt rejuvenated. I cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: No help here needed, you will be please in what ever room you get
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 February 2012

It has been a few months since my last stay and the service has improved. Again, you do need to ask for assistance with your luggage, but it was promptly delivered. The hotel lobby and rooms were beautiful and large. The front desk is courteous and all calls are answered promptly with your name! The only complaint I have is there were dirty dishes outside the room across the hall for two days and an empty beer bottle sitting on a table in the lobby for a full day too. Perhaps everyone thought it was someone else's job? All in all a great choice for a stay in Detroit.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2012

This is my wife and I's second visit to the MGM Grand Detroit. The check in process was very smooth. There is a coffee/espresso machine in the hotel lobby for guests, a nice touch. The room was spacious and clean. We requested late check out and it was no problem. Nice and easy. The staff at the hotel is top notch. This is our go to hotel in Detroit when we want a couples getaway.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2012

The MGM Grand Hotel is a relatively new property and replaces the old MGM casino that was in downtown Detroit for many years. Its style is more modern/fashionable than traditional. My room was large, comfortable, and had huge windows with a great view of the Ambassador Bridge and the Canadian side of the river. The room was clean, but one of the towels in the bathroom still had a large amount of makeup (I assume) from a prior guest. The concierge club on my floor had the best selection of evening snacks I've seen in a club, but the breakfast was largely a continental breakfast without the hot selections found in some other chains. Because it is connected to a large casino, there is ample free parking, but you either need to walk along the outside of the building or through the smoke filled casino to go from the self-parking garage to the hotel. Valet parking is also an option but I don't know if it is free. There are a number of great restaurants on the property as well as the standard buffet, but because they are all inside the casino rather than the hotel, you have to deal with a lot of cigarette smoke to reach any of them. Unlike the Las Vegas hotels, the ventilation system here does not do a very good job of letting you breath while inside the casino. I have noticed that each time I have visited this casino. The hotel is in downtown Detroit, but is a few blocks away from Ford Field, Comerica Park, Cobo Center, and the office buildings in the central business district.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Wedgewood
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The MGM Detroit is perhaps one of the best hotels in the Midwest, and one of the top in the country. The typical guestrooms are spacious, well-appointed, extremely clean, and worth their cost. What really makes this hotel a gem is their top-notch staff who is quick to answer questions, help whenever and wherever possible, and extremely energetic. While at the hotel, individuals were always willing to ask if I needed assistance - evidence that the staff is willing to make the stay as enjoyable as possible. Yes the casino is a catch to staying here, but the hotel makes one want to return again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed at the MGM Grand in December,2011 as a quick holiday getaway and to see a college hockey game at the Joe. We had stayed here before with excellent results, and were looking forward to the same on this trip. The MGM didn't disappoint. We booked the Grand Player package, which knocks the somewhat high cost of a room down to being comparable with the other hotels in downtown Detroit and really is a great deal if you plan on gambling a bit while you're in town.

Check-in was quick and efficient and the clerk at the front desk was incredibly friendly and helpful as she set up our room and package details. The room itself was just as we had remembered -- modern, luxurious, and very, very clean. The TV in the bathroom mirror and walk-in rain shower are some of my favorite details. Since we were on a high floor, we had a great view of Detroit, Canada, and the Ambassador Bridge. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows are some of the best hotel pillows that I've encountered.

The Casino was still a good time, although a bit louder and more smoke-filled than we had remembered. I was also disappointed to see that there was a surcharge for the "dollar blackjack" that the MGM had been advertising.

We had breakfast at Pallete, which is the on-site buffet and was included in our package. The amount and variety of food was excellent and the quality was outstanding. The made-to-order omelets were particularly delicious. We also visited the food court for a late night snack after the game. Despite the late hour, the food was hot, fresh, and well-prepared.

The staff are exceedingly well-trained and go out of their way at every turn to make sure that you feel welcome, your needs are being met, and that you are happy with your stay. While I'm sure part of this is intended to keep you in the casino, it does make for a very enjoyable time in the hotel.

My only complaint happened upon check-out. The valet parking was unable to find my car for about half an hour. Apparently they never tagged the vehicle when I parked it the night before and had to send people throughout the garage to find it. The valet staff were very friendly and helpful during this time and kept offering us something to drink while we waited. Fortunately, we didn't have anywhere to be and were able to laugh at the incident.

Despite the car incident, we had a great time at the MGM and are looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Ok, I am going to be honest here...I've been to both MGM and MotorCity Casino Hotel's in Detroit...I do love the buffet and rooms a BIT better at the MotorCity BUT there's nothing wrong with the MGM - it's a gorgeous place so don't be afraid to book there...I've spent more time at the MotorCity so PERHAPS I am just partial to that place- and their buffet is soooo good- but, once again, there's nothing wrong with the MGM and to prove that I have many pics here to view from a recent stay during the summer 2011....The ambience, appointments, lighting and art are to be found all over this beautiful MGM property as you can see in the photos- feel free to compare with the pics I have uploaded in my review for the MotorCity Casino Hotel - book both and YOU be the judge! Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends