“STAYCATION”

MGM Grand Detroit
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 June 2010

My hubby and I decided to "Get-Away" for the evening and enjoy each other prior to my upcoming surgery. We purchased the "Grand Player" package for a Sunday to Monday stay, $289. This included the room, $50 voucher for meals, and $100 gaming voucher. Valet parking was also included.

The hotel is beautiful and the service top-notch. Everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The room (King) was spacious, linens wonderful, the bed I wanted to take home it was so comfortable! The bathroom had a flat screen TV built into the mirror that also had a selection of music channels (probably my favorite part of the room!), and the "rainshower" option. The pool was beautiful, the locker rooms had separate showers, whirlpool, suana, and all toiletries...including a new toothbrush if you wanted! The only negative was the floor was SO SLIPPERY! The fitness center had all you needed, though we didn't utilize it. The customer service was fantastic on every level, I really can't say enough about it!

We ate the the buffet for dinner and breakfast. The 1st hour of all meals is 1/2 price, so we went early to get both meals. ($18 for the breakfast buffet is definately over-priced, $9 a deal!) The food was great, as well as the service. (I'm not a fan of buffets like Old Country Buffet, generally speaking.) Everything was fresh, presentation great, and there are stations around the buffet to cook made to order items...pasta, lamb chops, BBQ, Asian, sushi were some of the choices.

The beers were only $1.50 for Bud Light, mixed drinks $5. We brought some cocktails with us, and went back to the room and made a drink. We're not big gamblers, played the penny and nickel slots for hours.

Late check-out at 1pm for no additional charge. In a half hour, we were home!

It was like we stepped in to another world for 24 hours, and will definately go back for another stay!! I wish the rest of the city of Detroit would "catch-up" to the MGM and become the major city I think us "Detroiter's" know in our hearts it could be.

I would recommend for a romantic get-away, business travel, birthday, even bachelor/bachlorette parties...no drunk driving!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank along0111
Write a ReviewReviews (1,162)

Reviewed 20 June 2010

I don't get to Detroit too much, so it is hard for me to compare this hotel to other hotels in the area or the strength of the location. I will say this:

Rooms are clean, and well appointed.
A few food options that should hit your fancy.
Gaming floor is nice (compared to Vegas gaming spaces).

I was upgraded to a suite for some reason - perhaps they didn't have a king in the standard room. The suite itself had a bit of a weird layout, but it was pretty big with nice views and a huge bathroom. Rain shower option in the shower too.

Had time to eat at Bourbon Steak. Sat at the bar and had a steak, which was great. Wine list (by the glass) seemed a bit limited for prices shown for steaks. Really? One cabernet option to go with my $72 steak? Oh, of course, what was I thinking? I'll just order a bottle for myself.

Gaming floor was nice, but I really hit the craps tables. Limited server availability - same as Vegas.

I went for a run from here - a 3 mile loop that took me to Comerica and Ford Field. Nice run, easy to navigate.

All in - not bad. You certainly could do worse.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank VermontGolfer
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Stayed two nights for a medical meeting. As a world traveler, I would say this is one of the best hotels I'd ever stayed. The staff at the front desk were extremely friendly. The room was very nice, excellent bedding, great bathroom. Hosekeeping was the best. I really enjoyed my stay at this nice hotel. The only compaint I have is I have to walk through the smoky casino in order to get to the restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2010

On Saturday we left our room at 10am and turned on the pick up room light, we returned back at 2 pm and the room was still not picked up. They showed up at about 5 pm when we were about to leave and told us to call housekeeping when we were leaving so the could come and pick up the room. So we did. We returned back to our room at 1030 pm and the room was still not picked up. I have had better housekeeping at Holiday Inn. Also there was a cup of coffee sitting outside of the room across the hall that sat there most of Friday and a good part of Saturday. This hotel is suppose to be a top rated hotel in the Midwest, well I beg to differ. I didn't realize how hard it was to make a bed. Thanks for making my first wedding anniversary a disappointment.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wirewench23
Reviewed 6 May 2010

The room was awsome. When you enter the lobby to the left is the hotel to the right the casino. People cannot enter the hotel portion without the attendent to let you in and they verify the room key. Once you enter you would never know a casino was on the other side. The front desk was very friendly, we did have an issue with the tv in the main area of the room but while we out exploring the casino they corrected the problem. They even set a fireplace screen on the TV and had soft music playing from the TV in the bathroom. It was a nice touch. The casino is huge. I almost missed my banquet because I got alittle lost. But had a lot of fun trying to find the door. The only bad thing I could say has nothing to do with the hotel, the resturant palette, had nice servers but nasty people who took your payment before being setted, but the food was great so give it a try. Just ignore them and have fun!!!!!!

Reviewed 25 April 2010

Stayed three nights at the MGM Grand Detroit (there for business). My room was fantastic, the service was incredible. The workout room has everything you could need. A top-notch stay.

Casino was pretty good, but too smokey (mostly played poker, has a nice poker room but mostly only one game 1-2NL, sometimes 2-5NL).

Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Joshua H
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Seriously. It was total splendor from the moment I walked in the door. Feng shui at it's best. Top of the line everything. The designers stopped at nothing. Hi tech, hi comfort, hi beauty. It's worth going to Detroit just to stay at this hotel. The added value is supporting a city that needs it.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business