“Gem in the City”

Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Warren, MI
“Gem in the City”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I've been to the Motor City Casino on many occasions, but never stayed in the hotel. I must say, I was thoroughly impressed with the hotel. The room was clean. The furnishings are nice...I want the wall unit in my bedroom! The bathroom is impecabbly updated and I love the night lights which give the floors a little ambience. The Motor City Casino Hotel will be my little get away in the city. One thing I didn't like was that visitors have to check in with the front desk before being allowed to come up to the rooms. Guess there have been a few situations where unwanted visitors were knocking on the wrong doors or maybe Cheaters was in town. LOL Room service was expensive, but I was tired so I didn't mind. The food was excellent! $4 for a Mountain Dew...I should've gone to the store before I checked in.

Room Tip: Rooms on high floors provide the best views of the city
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank rosie313

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Westland
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We recently stayed at the Motor City Casino Hotel for a little local get away. There saying is "Millions of miles away, right down the street" and that couldn't be more true. I absolutly loved the room. It was so lush and decorative. The bathroom was absolute luxury with a very deep tub and seperate rain shower. The was a very well stocked mini-bar. Also, we were on the executive floor which gave us access to the conceriege lounge. We had continental breakfast and hor d' oeuvres in the evening. The hotel is not in the best part of the city but you never know it once you enter through those hotel doors. You get transported to a mini-paradise. Perfect for a couples getaway.

Room Tip: You may want a room on floors 13-15 which is the executive levels. Better service and access to amen...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ali K
Michigan
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This was my first stay at the Motor City Casino Hotel and I will be back! The rooms are VERY large, very clean and decorated very nicely. The bathroom was also very large (Big tub, nice size shower and separate room w/the toilet). Each room has a doorbell! Don't worry...when you put it on "Do not Disturb"...it doesn't ring! OR...you can push a button notifying housekeeping that your room is ready to be made up. I was in a standard double room, so I can only imagine how much nicer or larger the rooms get as you upgrade.I was pleased to see that security was tight, but always very friendly. The only odd thing was finding the hotel valet. It wasn't marked clearly. I was meeting my 3 girlfriends and we all agreed it wasn't clearly marked. Thankfully, the first to arrive called the rest of us to clue us in on going into the parking garage, which is where you'll find the valet for the hotel. (Valet for the casino is in a different area!) Overall, we truly enjoyed our stay and look forward to coming back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Barb826
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I love MotorCity Casino Hotel. I have stayed numerous times and the service is always great, the rooms are even better and very stylish. Every time you call the front desk they address you by name and make sure your stay is personalized. It is a great place to getaway for a few days even if you don't like to gamble. You can utilize their spa services, dine at the various food options, or dance the night away on the dance floor at club Amnesia.

If you just want to enjoy the downtown Detroit area I would recommend this a place to stay because the climate and atmosphere is great and can be enjoyed by everyone.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ANR113
Vallejo, California
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I stayed at the Motor City Casino Hotel during a brief visit to Detroit and was pleasantly surprised by the excellent service I received there. From the moment we arrived till the morning we left every encounter with the staff was wonderful. I booked a king room on the executive floor (14) and I could not have had a better room. The view was incredible! The room itself was clean, spacious with a very impressive all marble bathroom. The Restaurant on the 16 floor was just beautiful with excellent food. I can highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank dsve349
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We checked in on 3/15/12. From the moment we pulled up we were treated like someone special. The bell person " Big John" escorted us to our room. while being escorted he began to orient us about the hotel. Upon getting to our room he started from one end and went to the other describing every feature and how to use. He shared with us special ( call comfy services) services (free) such as pillow options if we didnt like the ones we had or had allergies. How kool is that? The hotel and service is splendid. Adriann our "Room Attendant" (and to u slobs out there thet r not MAIDS) was speedy, repectful, kind and professional. Way to go Adriann!

As for the security well, they two I encountered left me highly irritated as they were rude as well as disrespectful. As my husband and I were leaving he ran into the casino to cash in a ticket that we recived from the front desk. I waited in the lobby outside the entrance as I had a water bottle and they would not allow me to take it in. No worries, no problem and I stayed back and waited. As I was waiting for my husband my back began to hurt so I sqwated down to releive my back. The security person approached me waving his hand at me to stand up as well as abruptly telling me to stand up. At first I thought he was joking but as DEMANDED I did stand up. I asked him if that was really a rule and he said yes. I then asked if it was in a rule book and he did not answer. His partner was being mouthy saying "if te man tells u to stand up then stand up". I was pissed. My own husband of 15 years does not speak to me in that manner. I tried not to let it ruin my trip but after 24 hours I was stil feeling bad so I called the front desk and spoke with one of the on-duty managers. I was so impressed by him that his name slipped my mind. I felt it was a wasted call as he simply made excuses and patronized me. He did apoligize for my experience. I let him know I felt like I was being patronized and ended the call.

Again nice hotel. The manager that was on duty & security person lack genuine customer service and should look at Big John (bell person) and Adriann (room attendant) as they are true examples of customer service and kindness.

I also want to mention Fazzi from the "Lodge" resturant. He was exceptional and very sweet. Way to go Fazzi.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river 13th floor or higher are nice!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fromthe503
Cleveland
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Booked the Facebook friends deal for $89.00 what a fantastic value. The rooms are beautiful, the beds are some of the most comfortable I have ever slept in and the staff is fantastic. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple