“Dinner at the Kirby”
Review of The Kirby

The Kirby
Reserve with OpenTable
The Kirby is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 20 Restaurants in Douglas
Price range: US$8 - US$35
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Description: The Kirby is a hotel, restaurant and wine bar. The restaurant offers a global menu using Michigan's freshest ingredients. There is a large section of cheese and charcuterie as well as small plates, large plates and desserts. The wine bar offers intersting glass pours and flights of wine, whiskey and Amari. Have a light snack and a glass of wine or come in for 5-course wine pairing dinner. We have indoor seating in our cozy dining room and wine bar and outdoor seating on our back decks surrounded by lush trees, a beautiful garden and pond. The Kirby is great for weddings, rehearsal dinners and all types of events.
Reviewed October 2, 2018

Great service, food was spot on, the wine selection great and Chef/Owner came to table and described the Amaro Tasting to all of us, nice touch. Would definitely recommend the restaurant and I will stay at the property the next time I am in town.

Reviewed September 4, 2018

We were in town for a Labor Day weekend getaway so this was to be a special meal. The Kirby is a lovely old home with a lot of charm. We both ordered the pork chop and it was chewy with not much flavor. Our cocktails were disappointing. We both wished we had went somewhere else.

Reviewed August 6, 2018

We made a reservation for dinner here. Nice enough meal, and everyone there was very pleasant. It just didn't quite live up to the "wow" comments that we've heard from different people. The Kirby House itself is beautiful. All of the original woodwork along with the spacious rooms and high ceilings makes it a very pleasant atmosphere.

I had the beef tenderloin and my partner had the hamburger. I asked for my meat to be well done as they usually cook it medium rare I was told. It wasn't quite well done when I got it, but it was very good. It had some sauce on it, but not quite enough, so I wound up "borrowing" my partner's garlic aioli that had come with his hamburger.

The beef tenderloin came with potatos, but more like just a few morsels of potatoes that had been over salted. They were good, but sure glad my partner had some extra fries left over with his burger.

I just expect more when I'm paying $36 for an entrée like the beef tenderloin was. The $14 burger was very good but at that price, it sure should be.

Reviewed August 3, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I are staying in Saugatuck and decided to go J Paul's restaurant in The Kirby in Douglas for our anniversary dinner. We were excited about the menu but the food was just average unfortunately. We had the tuna poke and beet salad to start and I had the lamb chops and my husband had the shrimp linguine. Nothing stood out except the wine we picked. They had a manager that was a sommelier but the waiter said "they are all nice wines" instead he should have said oh let me get her. The atmosphere was nice but the place was empty for a Thursday at 7:30pm. Also they knew it was our anniversary that day and did nothing special. Very disappointing, I would go elsewhere as there are plenty of options! I hope this restaurant takes a little more pride in the food and service because it has the potential to be a great spot.

Reviewed July 25, 2018

Only 2 of the 6 of us were happy with our meal. Beside one other table, we were the only ones there. They knew that it was a special occasion, but really didn't do anything about it, or even mention it. We had a nice table for 6 and were the only ones in that room, so we could laugh and talk without interrupting any other tables. Duck was way over done, risotto was just plain rice not Arborio, the charcuterie was skimpy and didn't have the usual extras that go on a plate, like olives or dried fruit or fig spread, linguini was nothing very special and quite tasteless. Wine pours not very generous.
One thing that was nice was that we could make reservations which is hard to do in this resort area. Wondering if a Sunday evening is not the time to go to what looked like a favorite spot of many. Crispy salmon and the lamb got good reviews.