“A most relaxing experience at a great B&B”

Sherwood Forest Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 7 Douglas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 October 2014

Some of the best experiences in life is when your expectations are greatly exceeded. Such was the case with our recent visit to Sherwood Forest. We spent 3 nights and wished we could have stayed longer. Nolene and Jim are gracious, friendly, and down-to-earth hosts welcoming you to a clean and elegant establishment that is perfectly located. Sherwood Forest is in a quiet, upscale tree-lined area that is within easy walking distance of the beach. We particularly enjoyed walking down to the lake for a stroll just before sitting down to a delicious and robust breakfast, which we needed to fuel exploring and walking the local towns and parks. I have a gluten-free dietary restriction and this was no problem - they are quite familiar with the gluten-free diet and were easily able to accommodate my requirement. We have visited many B&B's over the years, and this was one of our best and most relaxing stays.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 September 2014

We had a perfect stay here! Jim and Noleen are great hosts. We were greeted at check-in with a glass of wine and Jim sat us down and and showed us a map of the area and made recommendations for things to do and places to eat. They made us feel so welcome and were very helpful!
Our room was beautiful and very clean. The Black and White Room was great! We've stayed in Saugatuck before and thought the rooms at the Sherwood were more spacious and comfortable.
Breakfast in the morning was fantastic! We enjoyed coffee on the beautiful wrap-around porch and then sat down for breakfast at 9am. They serve fruit, banana bread, yogurt, and homemade granola as staples. Their main dish changes from day to day. The first day we had the best blueberry pancakes my husband and I had ever had. The second day we enjoyed delicious egg and ham on croissants.
We will definitely be staying here again on our next visit to the Saugatuck area! The Sherwood B&B is well maintained and you can tell the owners love what they do!

Reviewed 30 September 2014

Just spent 2 nights at this B&B. This is a beautiful and well maintained property. The owners Jim and Noelene are gracious , knowledgeable and there to make your stay exceed your expectations. The wraparound porch and common rooms are exquisitely furnished for your comfort. My wife and I stayed in the Victorian Suite. The suite has a separate bathroom complete with wet bar, Jacuzzi, see through fireplace and refrigerator. The bedroom was very large with a delightful sitting area. You couldn't ask for anything more. Breakfast is such a treat with Noelene magically make appear some the most delicious egg dishes and pancakes I have ever tasted. Thank you Jim and Noelene for making our too short stay so memorable.

Reviewed 25 September 2014

Jim and Noleen are great hosts at this perfectly situated B&B. The room was awesome, well appointed and very comfortable. The bathroom was even bigger and included a small kitchenette and a Jacuzzi tub that made relaxing effortless. The bed was on a little smaller than I would have hoped for, but very comfortable nonetheless. Also included in the price of the room was unlimited use of beach cruiser bikes for riding into Douglas, Saugatuck, or just down to the beach a couple blocks away. This was a great add on to an already great stay. Breakfast was set late enough in the morning so that you could sleep in a little and still enjoy a meal. Breakfast was delicious with lots of fresh fruit and juice. My wife had pancakes the second morning and didn't even need syrup.

Reviewed 18 September 2014

Just spent three nights in this truly beautiful B&B. The new owners were as gracious and friendly as any hosts I've encountered. The B&B is located just a few miles from Downtown Douglas and Saugatuck, and just a short walk to the beach. Breakfast each morning was fresh, delicious and filling! The entire place was decorated for the season and the Rose room sported one of the most comfortable beds I've ever encountered. A real winner!

Reviewed 13 September 2014

Anyone who greets me with a glass of wine upon arrival already gets a gold star but that wraparound porch with well placed (and many) conversation areas of wicker furniture and brightly colored pillows was so inviting I was already smitten --even before we stepped across the threshold. We stayed in the Treetop Room which was perfect. The one afternoon it rained I even donned the crocheted slippers provided --this after a wonderful picnic on the porch. I enjoyed the availability of a bicycle for exploring the bluff road along the Lake and the proximity to Douglas Beach. WOW!! That was the highlight and being able to walk into downtown Douglas. Previous visits to this area we've enjoyed a B & B in downtown Saugatuck, but the charm and location of Sherwood Forest is perfect if you enjoying walking the beach. The pool area is also fantastic. Especially loved the Rubber Duckies keeping watch and the water was warm, clean and inviting. Can't wait to go back. Oh and the best blueberry pancakes I've ever had --light and fluffy and some kind of magic ingredient.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2014

Charming, well-preserved house within a very short walk to the beach. Quiet and surrounded by green with a wrap around porch! Pool that was larger than expected. Breakfast was wonderful with french toast with a pecan praline topping. My room was spotless as were the common areas. The owners could not have been more gracious and welcoming. They know the area attractions and make interesting suggestions. Go on the dunes ride - it's interesting and thrilling and I'm not the dune ride type of guy. And don't miss Douglas - somehow it has not been overdeveloped and retains its old buildings.
I was so pleased that I stayed here and will return. My thanks to Noelene and Jim.

Room Tip: You will not be disappointed. Sleeping with the windows open at night is a joy.