“Exellent Ethiopian food”

Ranked #18 of 208 Restaurants in East Lansing
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed 15 March 2016

Great family style food served on Ethiopian thin bread. Especially like the mild beef, spicy lamb and yellow lentils.

Reviewed 2 February 2016

I love this place. The food is always delicious. The service, not so much. You can be the only table in the whole place and not get a refill on your drink. Literally one table, 30 minutes, no refill. It is rather sad. Such good food with such a great owner that actually cares if you are satisfied and enjoyed your meal, but not a d*mn refill.

Reviewed 10 October 2015 via mobile

I have had Ethiopian food in Las Vegas, Toronto and now East Lansing. I ordered one veggie+chicken combination and one veggie+beef combination for take out. For the veggies I selected the split yellows peas very delicious and garlic lentils. The lentils were ok. The chicken was REALLY good. Next time I will order just chicken and not beef. I have to say I ordered the combination with half rice half injera because I wanted my boyfriend to taste Ethiopian food for the first time and I did not know if we was going to like just eating injera. The rice was not that great, but the injera was pretty good. In fact, my Midwestern boyfriend ate everything!!!! He agreed with me in that the chicken was more delicious than the beef. Due to the limited selection of Ethiopian food in the small town I live in Michigan, I will totally go back to Altus for more Ethiopian food.

1  Thank Jannette24
Reviewed 21 August 2015

The food here mostly consists of stews atop spongy "sourdough" bread. Although this style of bread may or may not be to your liking (I don't care for it) the stews should at least be tasty and fresh.

They are not. My beef concoction with tough with a so-so flavor. One of my dining companions had "chicken" which appeared to be either a very emaciated bird, or perhaps "pigeon"? It was very, very small, bony, and horribly dried out. A third dining companion had a lentil based stew which actually was not bad.

Overall, food, atmosphere and service were NOT impressive. I can't figure out how this place rates so highly. I great disappointment.

1  Thank Snow D
Reviewed 30 July 2015 via mobile

Altus offers a nice menu and very good food. Great veggie and meat options. Ethiopian food tends to be heavy, and this is no exception. Really nice ethnic food option in EL.