“Great Family Trip!”
Review of White Birch Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Elk Rapids
White Birch Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elk Rapids
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We are from the Chicagoland area and found this lodge on the internet. We decided to book after reading the positive reviews. We were very happy we did. Food was unexpectedly delicious (like grandma makes) with fresh options to compliment the meals (salad bar & fruit). The staff was fantastic with the kids (my kids are 7, 5 & 2). The staff always took the time to listen to my children and seemed to really enjoy their interactions. When packing, do note there is an adult dinner one night out of the week. Pack a nicer outfit (nothing formal, just one step up from shorts and a tank top). My 2 year old didn't make the cut-off for the day kids program, but they did take her during the parent's only dinner (they assigned one counselor to my daughter).
The main reason we booked this trip was for the kid's program and kid friendly activities all week long. The activities are endless! There is the kids program in the morning (weekdays only) 10-noon, for older kids there is water skiing, in the afternoon there is tubing, banana raft rides and water skiing. In the evening, there is a bonfire every night and three times a week a special activity for the kiddos. I HIGHLY recommend this place. We won't be going every year, but we will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: If you do not need a kitchen, forgo the kitchen option. There are very quaint cottages with screene...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was our first trip to White Birch Lodge and we had a great time! We are a family of three generations ranging in age from 2-87 years old and there was something for everyone. The property is absolutely beautiful and the people could not be friendlier, both staff and other guests. It says a lot that many of the quests we met had been going to WBL for many, many years, some families several decades. Meals are served family style and the food is simple and not always the healthiest choice, but tasty just the same. We have several in our group who have food allergies and at each meal our waitress greeted us with list of what we could eat and what to avoid depending on the allergy. They even had special substitutions prepared when the entree was a problematic food. There is a wide range of accommodations, some very simple and rustic right up to beautiful new condos, so do your research if you are fussy about that sort of thing. This is a family-owned property and you can see in every way that they take great pride in providing a fun, relaxing vacation for their guests; and to ensure that, the staff is trained to provide good, old-fashioned customer service. We are already talking about our next vacation at WBL.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank peglegdebs
Reviewed 25 July 2014

When we made our first reservation at WBL in 1970, we asked the owner, Cliff Conrad,
what we should bring. His reply was "all you need to bring is your swimming suits". We found that answer to be right on target except we did bring our tennis raquets. Everything else needed
for the enjoyment of the purest bluest lake in the country was supplied. Cliff's grandson,Mike, now runs the place but Cliff's answer still applies.

Over the ensuing years we have had as many as 50 of our family enjoying our annual weekly
reunion at WBL. The place is truly unique in that it supplies an all-in vacation in a family oriented
enviroment. WBL is a mother's paradise because there are no meals to prepare and morning and afternoon programs are provided for small children. The equipment and activities provided allow all members of the family to do their thing, or things. The best testimony I can give is that in all the times we have vacationed at WBL my wife and I have never left the place for one day.

I am not aware of any other place that offers a better venue to enjoy and build a wonderful family experience. It is almost so unique that you have to try it to fully appreciate it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank THOMAS K
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I can't say enough about this magical place. We have been returning yearly to White Birch Lodge for the past 17 years. It has something for everyone. Elk Lake is the most beautiful lake that I have ever experienced. The rooms are comfy and clean. The food is excellent and most importantly MADE FOR YOU!!! Three times a day, they ring a bell and everyone meets in the lodge to eat a wonderful meal. The activities are endless and fun. We all love the water skiing, tubing and wake boarding. The kids program is wonderful. My only complaint is that my kids don't want to hang out with me, they are having too much fun. You cannot go wrong with White Birch Lodge!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie D
Reviewed 20 September 2013

You couldn't pick a better place to just relax and enjoy the peaceful, scenic beauty of Elk Lake with the even more scenic Lake Michigan so close by. There is so much to do and see here, but it is the perfect place to just sit back, relax and enjoy. The great people at the White Birch Lodge will take good care of you.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Choteau
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Was there a few weeks ago with my daughter after not being there for over 30 years. WBL had alot of wonderful memories for me and I am so happy to add more recent ones. My daughter (14yrs) loved it and I did too. Everything I loved about WBL was the same and all the changes were positive. It is trula a vacation from the rigors of daily life and a place to recharge and reconnect with those you love (they accomodate all sorts of groups and you see multigenerational groups alot).

Room Tip: talk with the staff they will help select a room or suite that works for you
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

WBL is a great place for all ages. We had 3 generations in our group. Lots of activities for the kids, always something fun to do. Or just relax in the shade.

Meals are included, so parents get a vacation, too.

The staff is comprised of college kids who work hard at keeping the guests happy, entertained, and well-fed.

• Stayed: July 2013
21 km away
Bayshore Resort
Bayshore Resort
#4 of 40 in Traverse City

Been to White Birch Lodge? Share your experiences!