“Friendly staff and great food!”
Review of Steady Eddy's Cafe

Steady Eddy's Cafe
Ranked #35 of 369 Restaurants in Flint
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 17, 2016

Steady Eddy's offers a wide variety of food items. This is a great place to eat...but it does get busy, especially around meal time! This place is open more than just the normal Farmer's Market hours.

Reviewed December 11, 2015

I stopped by Steady Eddies at the new Downtown Farmer's Market and had an Italian sub. I had them split it and serve one side cold and the other side warmed up (as the waitress suggested). She was right. As good as this sub is cold, I like it warmed up even better. The flavors seem to "wake up" with the extra warmth. BONUS: If you ask for your sub served this way it will come on two separate plates and you will get extra chips and an extra pickle (I don't guarantee this, but it happened for me).

The slice of pie is STILL only $1.50 a slice and is probably the best deal in the market.

My main reason for writing this review is that Tripadvisor STILL has this place mapped in the old Flint Farmer's Market location by the river.

If you are looking for a more accurate map location to find the relocated Steady Eddies, I suggest you search "Flint Farmer's Market" in the "Attractions" or "Things to do" category. If you map "MaMang" or "Chubby Duck" the map pins are in the market and will lead you to the correct location.

To find Steady Eddies in the market, use the main entrance on the West side. Walk untill you see the very tall space to the left. Walk left and look for the Steady Eddies sign on the left. The door is a bit hidden but it is just around the corner, just past the coolers for the Middle-Eastern market. If you go past the restroom, you've gone too far.

Reviewed July 4, 2015 via mobile

We were cautious after reading the reviews but were pleasantly surprised. The seating is nice both inside or outside. Servers were very attentive checking on how our meals were and refilling our drinks. The French toast was wonderful and the freshest Greek omelette I have ever had. Tables are not as crowed as a prior review stated. We will return the next time we are in the area.

Reviewed October 18, 2014

I'd enjoyed Steady Eddy's in the past, and the quality of the food there used to be good. I've given them three chances now, though, since their move to the new location, and all three times I've been disappointed. I am sorry to say, I'm done wasting my time and money to go there. The seating is uncomfortable--the metal chairs lean way back and to eat comfortably I end up having to sit on the edge of the chair just to reach the table. The space is small, and it is usually very crowded. Walking between tables is difficult because they are all placed closely together. There are not many tables, and there's usually a wait just to sit down. The servers are unfriendly, and on two of the three occasions, my server has never even checked back on me after dropping off my food. The quality of the food has declined, and the prices are too high for the small portions they serve.

Each time I've gone, I've had an omelette. I tried the South of the Border omelette on my first visit to this location, and the tomatoes ruined it. They were not ripe, and they were watery. The chili in the omelette was good, though. The second time I went, I had the Greek omelette, and it was o.k, but the potatoes were overcooked that day, and my server ignored me even though I was out of coffee for most of my meal. She never checked back on me until I was done eating and ready for my bill. Today, though, was my worst meal yet there, and my deciding factor in not returning. I ordered an omelette with avocado in it, which is one of my favorite ingredients in an omelette, and as everyone knows, avocados are green. Well, the one that was slopped into my omelette was black, with just a little green left in it. I can't believe they served it to me. I scraped it out of my omelette, and put it off to the side on my plate. My server never came by to check on me, and so I ate the omelette, which was o.k. without the avocado, but it was disappointing, nonetheless, to have not received a portion of avocado that was edible. I'd received a very small portion of potatoes, and my toast had been squished against the omelette, and so it had avocado on its edges, so I didn't even eat it. Again, my coffee was gone, and no one brought me a refill. When I was done eating, I was still hungry. I didn't feel like I'd had much of a meal. When I got my bill, I pointed out the rotten avocado, and my server made a lame excuse about how quickly avocados turn brown. Yeah, brownish spots sometimes show up on them, but this one was far past brown. It was blackened and it looked horrible. I buy avocados and chop them up for my lunch frequently, so I do know a good one from a rotten one, and this one should have been in the trash, not on my plate.

So, with all the new options at the Flint Farmers Market, I'd recommend trying someplace else for a meal, and steering clear of Steady Eddy's. I can't recommend mediocre food and surly servers--is it too much to ask that they smile once in awhile and act like they care that you're there? Each time, I've felt like I was inconveniencing them just by taking up space at a table. Maybe they have an issue with someone who is dining solo--twice I was alone, and once I was with my young son. It's frustrating to be treated like my business isn't important to them. I tip well, and I like to support local businesses, but when I give a place three chances and they fall short every time, it is time to move on.

2  Thank Skye9988
Reviewed August 21, 2014

I've been a customer of Steady Eddy's for many years and was very excited to try the food at its new location. Sadly it was not the same. My tofu scamble didn't have the same delicious tofu I had been expecting. There wasn't any seasoning. The portions were smaller and I don't eat that much. I remember getting a beautiful plate with different fruit on it and my plate looked like someone threw the food on it with one slice of melon, everything one color. Nothing looked or tasted appetitizing. I won't be back.

1  Thank hideandsheep