“Found live bedbugs!”

The Marv Herzog Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Reviewed 7 May 2012

May 5th, 2012 went on girls weekend with 8 friends. Checked into 2 adjoining room & did bedbug inspection, found 5 live bedbugs crawling on pillows & in between mattress & box springs. Took 2 in coffee cup down to female desk clerk who disappeared immediately with cup saying NOTHING? When brought to her attention she procedded to argue with me calling them River Beetles? I have previously been exposed & bitten so educated myself on them. She insulted my intelligence so I let loose with my knowledge. Since my friends had no clue & the clerk balked at a refund, I didn't want to cause a scene, so we were given other rooms, (not adjoining rooms where we found them.) The new rooms checked out ok? The manager came in the evening probably to look at the bugs, while we were all gathered in front of the fireplace in the lobby living room. Nothing was said about the incident, no apologies, comps, nothing? I kept my belongings including my purse in a huge ziplock bag in the bathroom overnight. I asked everyone to let me know it any bites show up in several days? I hope I didn't get any in my car as my friend that rode with me was uneducated about bedbugs & had her purse on the floor overnight-ugh? It was a nice place, I would stay here again after doing an inspection but the desk clerk nor management didn't handle situation right. I know bedbugs are everywhere today, arm yourself people with knowledge & do thorough inspections. Leave as many belongings as possible in car or at home. Take ziplock baggies for items, put possessions in bathtub overnight. When getting up, put pajamas in sealed bag to wash at home. Educate yourself people, it has nothing to do with rich or poor, clean or dirty!

Room Tip: Look before you leap! Check out room before taking any personal possessions into room. Educate yours...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
13  Thank Danish/American
Tony F, General Manager at The Marv Herzog Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

I respectfully submit the following response. First and foremost it should be known that this isolated incident had been taken very seriously by the staff and management of the Marv Herzog Hotel. Our guests, both present and future, should not be alarmed as there is no bed bug problem at the Marv Herzog Hotel.

Although this was an isolated occurrence, anytime a guest informs us of a suspected bed bud problem it becomes a top concern for all of us at the Marv Herzog Hotel, as guest satisfaction and comfort remain our top priority.

Regarding the incident in question the rooms were immediately taken off market; a staff evaluation was conducted as well a professional examination of which no evidence of bed bugs were found. The rooms were not returned to inventory until management was 100% certain that there were no bed bugs. Although the incident is frustrating and alarming, as we host thousands of guests each year, consistently providing service above expectations is our first concern. Our entire staff deeply apologizes for the inconvenience and discomfort this guest experienced, and once again would like to assure you that the Marv Herzog Hotel does not have a bed bug problem.

Team Members and management of the Marv Herzog Hotel are firmly committed to guest satisfaction and we would like to personally invite you to experience this for yourself.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

We stayed at the Marv Herzog during the summer and found it very comfortable. The rooms were clean and quiet, there was free internet, and the hot breakfast (which was included) was good. There's a lovely patio overlooking the river on the back of the hotel, and our room had a small veranda where we could sit to do some people watching. The parking garage under the hotel made me feel like my car was very secure. The hotel itself is located right on the main drag in town, within easy walking distance of all the shops, the Bavarian Inn, and Zender's, and the price was very good compared to other similar hotels in town.

Room Tip: Rooms on the riverside would probably be quietest.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Amberlytical
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We recently stayed at the Marv Herzog Hotel in Frankenmuth. The rooms were lovely complete with small fridge and microwave. We had a room that looked over the little river and it was very nice. There is a spacious patio area with glider chairs that when the weather is nice would be a great place to relax. The staff was very pleasant and accomodating. We enjoyed the complimentary wine and beer each evening as a prelude to heading out to one of the many restaurants on the main area. Breakfast came with the price of the room and was ample for our us, providing both hot and cold items. I would definitely stay at the Mar Herzog hotel right in the heart of Frankenmuth and just a few minutes drive to Birch Run outlet shopping area.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruthie051
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel for the first time over Easter weekend. Very quick, easy & friendly check-in. Nice room - loved that each room has its own balcony. Snack/beverage reception from 5pm-7pm with munchies and 2 free drinks for each adult in the room. Good central location to all of downtown Frankenmuth! The only small thing that was more of an annoyance than anything was the bedding. It's a bit silky so numerous times during the night we woke up and all of our covers except for the sheet had totally slid off of the bed so woke up a bit chilly like four times so that was a bit annoying with the quilt / covers.

Room Tip: We generally choose a room that's away from the elevators simply due to the noise & there wa...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank daisytoledo
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed in a river view room on a sunny afternoon. Nice balcony, nice room and spacious bathroom. Location is excellent, can walk Main Street to each end of the "tourist" area easily. Mini fridge was a nice extra to store my Frankenmuth cheese purchase. Microwave was also nice to have. Quiet spot, probably because there is no pool so few children. Evening reception was nothing to write home about, but included 2 drinks (beer or wine) for each adult. Overall, a nice stay. I'll look it up next time I'm in Frankenmuth.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The Marv Herzog Hotel is exceptional. The hotel is located on Main st overlooking the Cass River and each room has a private balcony, microwave and fridge (you'll need it for the bountiful servings of food). The rooms are spotless and the staff are welcoming. We asked for extra pillows and Terri brought 6 pillows to choose from. The free breakfast buffet is hot and tasty. Each evening guests recieve complemetary beer/wine and snacks (nachos, chips and pretzels). Every room pays homage to the late Merv Herzog, an exceptional polka muscian. The history of the town is interesting, and the culture and ethnic heritage is heart warming.

Room Tip: 319 is on the end and is quiet, although any hotel has the noise of doors closing. We bring a sound...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NurseMichigan_USA
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed at the Marv Herzog at Frankenmuth, MI for 2 nights. It was my mistake for not realizing there was NO pool, so the kids were a bit disappointed. Don't make the same mistake. Their rates are lower relative to other comprable motels in the area for this reason. They do try to make up for it with free drinks and food. The good news is that the staff were (mostly) helpful and the hotel was very clean, we were very pleased with the room. Parking was more than adequate in a small parking garage in the back. Frankenmuth used to be a thriving tourist area back in the 80's and 90's, it was always busy and almost had a magical quality about it. These days, the area is highly depressed, with a shopping experience to reflect.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank hojo7021
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
0.3 km away
9.5 km away
Hampton Inn Birch Run/Frankenmuth
9.8 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run

Been to The Marv Herzog Hotel? Share your experiences!