“INFESTED WITH BED BUGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East
Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
michigan
“INFESTED WITH BED BUGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

First off, I am not an entomologist, nor do I claim to be an expert on identifying bugs. The following statement is based strictly on my observations and opinion and I do not claim to know the genus & species of these bugs, but I do know that they are bugs and that they were in the bed. I am writing this review to warn potential travelers that this hotel is infested with BED BUGS!!!!! My wife and I stayed here on April 14, 2012 on the fifth floor. We were relaxing on the bed watching TV when my wife noticed a bug crawling up the wall above the headboard. I grabbed the bug with a tissue and put it in a cup for examination. We were unsure what type of bug this was, but feared for the worse. Since I have read about bed bug infestations before, I knew where to look for confirmation that the room was infested. We pulled the top mattress back and quickly noticed several discarded exoskeletions (shed skins) from the bed bugs, along with hairs and food crumbs on the bed skirt covering the bottom mattress near the headboard. I flipped up the corner of the bed skirt and folded back the corner seam and what I saw made my skin crawl. There were several bed bugs scurrying for cover amidst their own reddish/black fecal spots !!! I quickly scooped up an additional bed bug in a coffee cup to provide evidence for the hotel. I took the two bed bugs up to the front counter and gave one sample to the front desk attendant for her records. She offered us an opportunity to change rooms, but from what I have read, the bed bugs can travel from room to room and floor to floor through ventilation shafts and by other means. I demanded a refund, returned to the room, collected an additional bed bug sample for verification, sealed the two bugs tightly in a coffee cup wrapped in cellophane and we hit the road for a two hour drive home at 12:30 am. When we reached home, I immediately searched the internet for bud bug images for confirmation. Unfortunately, the photos I reviewed on several sites looked identical to our specimens, in my opinion, there was no question, they were BED BUGS!!!! NASTY!!! Now, my biggest worry is whether or not the bed bugs or their eggs attached themselves to our clothing or luggage and will our home become infested? In my opinion, the hotel should be QUARANTINED until they have an exterminator take care of the problem. Before leaving the hotel, I asked the desk attendant to have the Hotel Manager call me a.s.a.p.! It is now 4:30 p.m. the following day and I have not heard a word!!! In order to protect other people from going through the same scenario, I will be contacting the Grand Rapids Health Department Monday morning to report the infestation and I will gladly submit my specimies for verification if requested to do so.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank MichiganReview123
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Michiganreview123,

I sincerely apologize for the incident during your stay. I appreciate your feedback on the issue very much. We are taking steps to further investigate the issue to take appropriate action. I know Ed Wilson; my general manager has contacted you and apologized and spoken to you at length for the issue earlier today. If you need I can certainly offer assistance, I would be glad to help with any concerns or possible requests. Once again, I sincerely apologize for the issue during your stay. If you have any questions or concerns please email me or call the hotel directly.

Cx_gami@countryinns.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Maitland, Florida
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We have stayed here a few times over the past year. I have traveled solo and with my family and I always do feel safe here. The staff is always friendly and helpful as needed. The breakfast is great in the morning. I always use the gym when I visit and I always find it clean and I mostly have it to myself. The pool is nice but it can get crowded. When we stayed at Thanksgiving, there was way too many people using it and it was really loud. (I don't think they were all staying at the hotel). I also really like the library that they have, I have used it quite a bit. Business travelers are here dring the week and on the weekend you do get a mix of people. Request a room higher up so as to avoid people coming and going at late hours. The price is great and close to the highway.

Room Tip: Try to get a room up on higher floor to avoid some of the noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband and I spent our wedding night at the Country Inn and Suites (Grand Rapids East) and we were thrilled by the excellent service, updated decor, affordable pricing and cleanliness of the room. When the staff found out it was our wedding night, we were upgraded to a whirlpool room and when we checked in we found a beautiful card and complimentary champagne and chocolate (a wonderful surprise!). We were impressed by the high rating the hotel received on TripAdvisor and we're so glad we decided to stay here!

The room was very clean and equipped with everything we needed, and the continental breakfast offered hot and cold menu options included with our stay. I usually stay in Country Inn and Suites hotels when I travel because of the good service and amenities as well as the affordable price range, but this hotel in particular stood out in terms of the welcoming and happy staff, the clean and updated decor, and the personal touches of our stay. I highly recommend the hotel to travelers who are looking for an affordable stay within easy distance of downtown and surrounding areas (there are several restaurants and tourist attractions close by as well, including the Frederik Meijer Gardens). Close parking, easy access to highways and the well-insulated rooms are additional draws.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Sarah L,

Thank you very much for your nice kind words! It means a lot to us that you took the time to write a review about our hotel. Thank you for staying with us on your wedding night, we're happy to assist you with anything you need. Come back again soon, Sarah!

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel during ArtPrize last year. Although it was a drive to the event, it was well worth it. The suite gave us plenty of room for our family of four. The breakfast was well-stocked both mornings. Although the hotel was fairly crowded when we stayed there, it was still very quiet.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear CindyJV,

I'm glad you enjoyed Art Prize! It was packed this past year. We're hoping for a big turn out this year too! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. If you are looking to come back, we would love for you to stay with us again.

Michigan
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We recently stayed here for a short get away. The check-in clerk was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was excellent. Neat, clean, and in order. The little seating area was nice to have in the roon to relax and watch some television. We didn't use the pool but it looked a little small, but I'm sure it would have been enough for some children to enjoy. The breakfast the next moring was great. Waffles, eggs, sausage, cereal, juices, coffee, etc. More than enough. The selection was wonderful. Check-out was quick and easy. We will most definitely consider this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Rookster 18,

Thank you very much for your feedback, Rookster 18! I will let our breakfast attendants know of your nice kind words! Come back again soon!

Rochester, Michigan
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed here for one night during LaughFest. We stayed in a standard room, which was very clean. The pool was very nice as well. Only minor complaint would be that when we went down for breakfast 45 minutes before it closed, a lot of the food seemed to be gone and wasn't restocked. Had to ask the waitress for a few things from the kitchen.

Location is good with downtown only a few minutes away.

Overall it was very good and would likely come back again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear JorgeCurioso,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your feedback very much on the breakfast, Jorge. I will notify my breakfast attendant of your comments. If you are in the area in the future we would love to have you stay with us again!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We visited from out of town for Grand Rapids' "Laugh Fest" and chose to stay at this hotel because it is #1 for the area on Trip Advisor. So glad we did! Staff is genuinely nice & happy to see you. Our room was considered a suite and had a sofa & oversized chair in a living space off the bed area. Rooms are clean and well appointed. Pillows are small so bring your own favorite one. Bathroom is standard size. Complimentary toiletries are on the low end (Pantene shampoo/conditioner). The showers do not have any safety bars and the floor is slick so, one recommendation that I would suggest to the owner, is to add safey bars. Quiet location. Very pleased with the blackout drapes as the hotel faces either the interstate or main road depending on which side of the hotel your room is located.The continental breakfast is more than enough and that's a plus because I didn't see any nearby restaurants other then one that is more suited for lunch & dinner although, on Trip Advisor, the restaurant did not receive good ratings. Hotel is about a 5 minute drive to downtown Grand Rapids and right next to Meijer Gardens. We would stay herer again.

Dear Twobings,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel! I appreciate the feedback on the shower handles and slippery floor. As it turns out, we have bath mats available at the desk upon request, and we have some portable shower rails as well. They actually hold up very well under stress! If you are in the area again, we would love for your to stay with us!