“disappointing...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
New York, NY
“disappointing...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

After reading what I thought were some glowing reviews on TripAdvisor, I write to say that I was disappointed with this stay of three nights on a business trip to G.R. I am a Hilton gold member and did not find the outstanding service and rooms of many other Hampton Inns. The service was less than inviting. The room and bath were average at best, no more. I found one night table when I would have expected two. The location is a challenge to find, but it is close to the airport and countless chain food restaurants close at hand. Not bad, but I have found better in G.R. My last two stays in G.R. were eight and ten years ago when I stayed at the Crown Plaza Airport and had very positive experinces.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HamptonGRAirport, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport / 28th St, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
We are very sorry to hear about the experience you had during your stay. My staff and I want to ensure every guest stay is as enjoyable as possible and I am sorry this was not your experience. We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to constantly improve on our levels of service and accommodations. If we can be of further assistance to you please don’t hesitate to contact the hotel at 616.575.9144. We would be happy to talk further with you about the experience you had.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

Unlike most airport hotels, this Hampton is quiet and in a great location. Less than 5 minutes from the airport, with shopping, convenience stores and restaurants even closer. The grounds are wooded and well kept - perfect for letting the kids run and explore before a long day on a plane. The interior was in great condition, and the beds are the best we've experienced at any hotel. Hhonors check in is extremely quick (in and out in less than 5 minutes), and check out is not necessary (great for waking up late for your flight!). I would recommend this, as well as most other Hampton Inn to anyone!

Room Tip: First floor, East end has it's own entrance and is very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank semi775
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

Needed one of the (many!) hotels on 28th Street due to proximity to my work and the airport; I chose the Hampton as I'm normally a satisfied customer with this chain. The one drawback is this place is REALLY hard to find ... you kind of have to drive in behind the Target parking lot to get to it. Wish I had known that before! However, once there it was a clean, comfortable and pleasant stay - consistent with all my other Hampton stays. I did not have a chance to eat breakfast, but I did appreciate the availability of coffee and tea in the lobby. My King room was clean and functional, and the internet was quick and frustration-free. I had a pleasant sleep, and now that I know how to find this place, I will stay there again during my next business trip to Grand Rapids. 28th Street is full of a number of restaurants (mostly chain) and stores (including a fairly large mall) so it is a very convenient location when at that end of town.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Fayetteville, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

I had an early morning flight so moved from a downtown location to the Hampton after returning a rental car at the airport. Hamptons, in my experience, are a mixed bag, but this location was either relatively new or recently updated. Very comfortable bed with crisp white linens, marble vanity top in the bathroom, flat screen TV, super clean, friendly staff. The airport shuttle runs every 30 minutes or on request. The price was a little high ($149) considering I spent $199 for the JW Marriott downtown the previous night, but it was definitely a good stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SixthSister
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Grand Rapids for almost two weeks in October, 11. Hospitality, hygiene and courtesy levels were excellent . Like any other Hilton/ Hampton property, I would love to go back to them again where ever I travel.

Vish

Room Tip: Higher floors have less impact of the street lights coming into the room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Charlevoix, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

My family and I stay here during our visits to Grand Rapids. The hotel is always clean and the staff is always very nice. We especially welcome the warm smile of the breakfast host Tammie. Richie who drives the van to the airport for visiors does an excellent job. Stay here with the utmost confidence.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Columbia SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

I stayed here in my second visit to Grand Rapids, and I was so pleased with this Hampton Inn property that I'm staying there again on my next trip next month.

My room was exceptionally clean and pretty stylish for a Hampton. My king suite had a wet bar area that included a refrigerator and extensive counter space (and the counter appeared to be made of granite). The shower/toilet were in a separate room, and the bathroom counter/sink were in the main room, adjacent to the bed area. I also had a sofa, coffee table, and a desk. Towels and bedding were fairly new and spotless. I didn't eat the breakfast or any other food there, so I can't comment on that. Parking was plentiful the first night I was there, but it was tougher to find a spot the next night (but I did find one, after some cruising around the lot).

Personally, I like the location behind the Target, close to a few convenient places to grab food and drink (including a Starbucks and a good pasta-based casual restaurant -- its name escapes me). The hotel is an easy drive (about 5-10 minutes) from the airport. The property has a pond next to it, and I liked watching the ducks swim and frolic a little from my room window. I visited the Target to get a few bottles of sparkling water for my room's refrigerator -- convenient!

On my first visit to Grand Rapids, I stayed at the JW Marriott. It was a fantastic property that is certainly worth the price tag. But for a quick trip in and out of the city, someplace like the Hampton Inn is a great value. No paying for parking, internet, bellman tips, valet tips, etc.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business