“Quality Hampton” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Newington, Connecticut
“Quality Hampton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012 via mobile

My stay was pleasant. Rooms were nice and clean. Bed, sheets and pillows all very comfortable. The fitness center was a little weak if you like getting in a workout. Don't let the location deter you. It's not that hard to find. My iPhone maps app got me there without a problem.

Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Monster_1981
gibbsama, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport / 28th St, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We would like to let you know that we will be updating our fitness center within the next year. We are glad you enjoyed your stay!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Clarkston, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

This hotel was as expected from a facilities perspective - rooms were clean and relatively spacious. Pool was a decent size, but the "fitness center" was essentially non-existent.

My issue is with the service (or lack thereof) initially provided at the front desk. We were in town for a volleyball tournament and we arrived at the hotel at close to 1:00 pm. I wanted to check in and then head to the tournament so that I would not be checking in that evening with what was sure to be a large number of guests (there was also a cheerleading team staying at the hotel). The representative at the desk not only would not accomodate our request to check in, she refused to even look to see if a room was available and was not friendly at all. Certainly some of the rooms must have been cleaned by then and even if they weren't, all we really wanted was to be assigned one so that we'd be all set when we returned. As such, I had to leave the tournament in the middle to check-in and then drove back to the Volleyball facility, which was quite inconvenient (it was 30 minutes away at Grand Valley State University). I will say that the person at the desk at this time, roughly 7:00 pm (Kelly) was very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sammy1006
gibbsama, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport / 28th St, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
I am so sorry about the initial lack of courtesy and service you received when you tried to check in with us. Because you have made us aware of the situation, we will be able to address it with the staff member who was working that afternoon. We always strive to provide outstanding service to all of our guests and I'm sorry this was not the case for you. If you would like to discuss it further or provide us with any other feedback, please give us a call at 616-575-9144.

Amanda
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

After reading what I thought were some glowing reviews on TripAdvisor, I write to say that I was disappointed with this stay of three nights on a business trip to G.R. I am a Hilton gold member and did not find the outstanding service and rooms of many other Hampton Inns. The service was less than inviting. The room and bath were average at best, no more. I found one night table when I would have expected two. The location is a challenge to find, but it is close to the airport and countless chain food restaurants close at hand. Not bad, but I have found better in G.R. My last two stays in G.R. were eight and ten years ago when I stayed at the Crown Plaza Airport and had very positive experinces.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HamptonGRAirport, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport / 28th St, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
We are very sorry to hear about the experience you had during your stay. My staff and I want to ensure every guest stay is as enjoyable as possible and I am sorry this was not your experience. We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to constantly improve on our levels of service and accommodations. If we can be of further assistance to you please don’t hesitate to contact the hotel at 616.575.9144. We would be happy to talk further with you about the experience you had.
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

Unlike most airport hotels, this Hampton is quiet and in a great location. Less than 5 minutes from the airport, with shopping, convenience stores and restaurants even closer. The grounds are wooded and well kept - perfect for letting the kids run and explore before a long day on a plane. The interior was in great condition, and the beds are the best we've experienced at any hotel. Hhonors check in is extremely quick (in and out in less than 5 minutes), and check out is not necessary (great for waking up late for your flight!). I would recommend this, as well as most other Hampton Inn to anyone!

Room Tip: First floor, East end has it's own entrance and is very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank semi775
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

Needed one of the (many!) hotels on 28th Street due to proximity to my work and the airport; I chose the Hampton as I'm normally a satisfied customer with this chain. The one drawback is this place is REALLY hard to find ... you kind of have to drive in behind the Target parking lot to get to it. Wish I had known that before! However, once there it was a clean, comfortable and pleasant stay - consistent with all my other Hampton stays. I did not have a chance to eat breakfast, but I did appreciate the availability of coffee and tea in the lobby. My King room was clean and functional, and the internet was quick and frustration-free. I had a pleasant sleep, and now that I know how to find this place, I will stay there again during my next business trip to Grand Rapids. 28th Street is full of a number of restaurants (mostly chain) and stores (including a fairly large mall) so it is a very convenient location when at that end of town.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Fayetteville, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

I had an early morning flight so moved from a downtown location to the Hampton after returning a rental car at the airport. Hamptons, in my experience, are a mixed bag, but this location was either relatively new or recently updated. Very comfortable bed with crisp white linens, marble vanity top in the bathroom, flat screen TV, super clean, friendly staff. The airport shuttle runs every 30 minutes or on request. The price was a little high ($149) considering I spent $199 for the JW Marriott downtown the previous night, but it was definitely a good stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SixthSister
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Grand Rapids for almost two weeks in October, 11. Hospitality, hygiene and courtesy levels were excellent . Like any other Hilton/ Hampton property, I would love to go back to them again where ever I travel.

Vish

Room Tip: Higher floors have less impact of the street lights coming into the room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business