“Quietest Hotel I've Ever Stayed In”

Clarion Inn & Suites Airport
Ranked #34 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Joliet, Illinois, United States
“Quietest Hotel I've Ever Stayed In”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I don't know if it was just because it was a Thursday, not the weekend, but my stay here was absolutely perfect. Kaitlin Wyma was so nice and attentive at the front desk, and it was the quietest hotel I've ever stayed in! A lot of hotels try and make your stay a calming experience, but I was just so impressed with the lack of noise. That plus the beds really did make my stay a very refreshing one. Also, Brian Sehr had breakfast all ready downstairs when we needed it, at 4:30am! I'm definitely looking forward to my next stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank YouWantMyYaris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My Sunday evening stay at the Clarion was not planned as it was the result of car trouble from the previous Friday and my need to stay an extra night to pick up my repaired car after a weekend trip to Chicago. Needless to say I was not a happy camper! I have stayed at various hotels in the area for years but this was the first time at this Clarion. I was very happy with my experience.

After driving all the way from Chicago then dropping my daughter at her apartment, I drove to the Clarion as it was close to where my car had been towed. So, there was no advance planning or thought put into this stay. I was so tired and frustrated but I was greeted by the most friendly reception and that really helped. Check in was a breeze, the room was very nice, the internet worked great, etc. A good night's sleep really helped.

Breakfast the next morning was quite nice. Nothing over the top but quite adequate. The desk staff was again very friendly and helpful. I was very happy with my stay and thought it a very good value. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: They do have larger size rooms with sitting areas which would be great for families.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Gaelicmom3
Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed here for one night and did not pick this hotel. My company did and it received a very cheap rate. For that amount, I did not expect much, but come on. Things should work, right? Some seat belts in the shuttle were not operable; the hair dryer in the room was broken, and the room temperature was either too hot or too cold. While you have controls for the heating and cooling in the room, I did not seem to be able to find any middle ground. I woke up once because it was too hot in the room and once because it was too cold. Breakfast was bleak and the nightly snacks consisted of meatballs on the day I was there. There was a small amount of mold in the shower area of the bathroom. Overall, I would never book this place on my own and I hope I am never sent there again by my company. I did tell management about the seat belts and broken dryer, so if you choose to go there, I hope they have fixed these problems.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Michigan
Reviewed 23 January 2012

There are many hotels by the Grand Rapids Michigan Gerald R. Ford Airport. This is about 15 minutes from downtown Grand Rapids, which is a nice little downtown. Three of us were staying there for a work brain storming session, so just needed a clean room with some room to work. We got one regular room and one suite with 2 beds and an adjoining room with chair, desk, couch, fridge, microwave and tv. Perfect for working. The larger room was about $87.

Seems like the more expensive the hotel the less likely your are to get free wifi, which frustrates the hell out of me. Free wifi here. Also a decent free breakfast each morning.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Spring Lake, Michigan
Reviewed 13 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Clarion to park and fly out to Biloxi. From the time we came through the doors until the time we left we were beyond pleased. The staff could not have been friendlier, the King Suite we had was gorgeous and extremely clean! They even offer free dinners on certain days of the week. The bed was clean and very comfortable. We had a very early flight, so we missed the fabulous breakfast they offer, but still at 4:30 a.m. they had had a variety of muffins etc. On our return flight we called them and within 10 minutes the shuttle was their to pick us up and return us to our car. I would highly recommend staying at the Clarion and will return!

Room Tip: We had a King Suite, so my husband could watch his sports in one room on the couch, while I relaxed...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bjhilly
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 15 December 2011

This was a "Top Secret" hotel through Travelocity and I doubt I will use that service again. The Clarion Inn and Suites is in a great location for highways in every direction, the airport and also many eating establishments and not far from a couple of big malls but the hotel itself??? I won't be staying there again unless I run low on funds.

The hotel is clean and the staff are extremely friendly and accommodating but, oh my! The walls are thin and you can hear conversations, people peeing in the bathroom, and more! Don't stay here if you want a romantic evening unless you are a verbal exhibitionist (whatever that is called).

The alarm went off in the next room at 4:54 and buzzed incessantly for at least 15 minutes before I called the front desk and somebody came down to turn it off. The doors are not at all soundproof, either and you can hear conversations as you walk down the hall.

There is a free breakfast and it is the usual stuff although hot eggs and meat is an option - but I am no longer willing to eat off brittle styrofoam and use plastic utensils. I have decided that is one of the criteria in future to decide whether or not I stay in a particular hotel. They also have a light dinner available at no cost, again on styrofoam.

Free wi-fi and complimentary Wall Street Journal. Weight room/gym is modest and somewhat worn with no free weights, balls or other equipment - just the five pieces of equipment. But there is enough to work up a sweat.

My biggest complaint was the house keeping. My used glass, coffee mug, disposable coffee cup from breakfast, were all there when I got back at the end of the day. The coffee maker was as I left it with about an inch of cold tea in it. That was an oversight on day one - but day two and its beginning to pile up. TWO days in a row and they didn't replace my mug or throw away the styrofoam one.

And I was trying to be green and hung my towels to be re-used but they changed them anyway.

Closet is free standing and too small for my coat to hang without dragging. Air conditioner/heater is a constant blow and not too noisy.

Overall, a modest hotel with great front counter staff. A couple of other reviews said the beds were too soft....I don't agree. Quite firm and comfortable with good pillows.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Willmar, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 13 December 2011

We recently traveled to Grand Rapids to visit my family and we were very happy with the accommodations at the Clarion hotel. The staff was very friendly and welling to help. We will be sure to stay here again when we come to visit next.

Thanks Kaitlin