Howard Johnson Hotel & Suites by Wyndham Victoria Elk Lake
US$119
Accent Inn Victoria(Victoria)(Great Value!)
US$187
US$135
US$128
Sandman Hotel Victoria(Victoria)
US$179
All reviewscommonwealth pooloutdoor poolstationary bikefreezer compartmentfitness equipmentadjoining restaurantnice hot tubhockey tournamentwould stay here againsmall fridgebusiness tripferry terminalqueen suiteone night stayrooms are cleanfireside grilleasy access
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Manager Jenna was very friendly and willing to give a great rate for our one night stay. The kitchen agreed to keep our cooler of frozen fish in the restaurants cooler overnight. The staff was very accommodating and it was very much appreciated. The room was clean and beds were comfortable. Thanks for a wonderful stay! The breakfast we had in the restaurant was good.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
JTrowbridgeManager, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel & Suites by Wyndham Victoria Elk Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thank you for sharing your great experience with the TripAdvisor community.

It was a pleasure to meet you, exceed your expectations and make your stay with us a memorable one. Customer satisfaction is our number one priority, and its reviews like these that make us all happy. Looking forward to seeing you next time you are in Victoria. Thank you again for taking your time to let ALL of us know about your stay at the Howard Johnson Hotel and Suites. Go Happy. Go Hojo

Reviewed August 1, 2012

The room was clean and modern, with everything you need available. No complaints other than the pool being outside, which is ridiculous considering it rains 70% of the time in Victoria (I lived in Victoria for 11 yrs) A particularly upsetting situation occurred where a staff member put our 2 small children's safety at risk, but it was promptly rectified by the general manager. Customer service was average, although the front desk attendants seemed less than interested in greetings or pleasantries. Overall a good hotel with slightly above average rooms. I would stay here again. The food from the attached restaurant was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool side room, because the highway on the other side is VERY loud.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay even though there were a few minor hiccups, we were able to please you in the end. We are also happy you enjoyed the food in our Restaurant. Thank you, and see you next time.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Well, I checked in for a 5 night stay. The lobby was very busy. The check in staff was friendly and efficient and always with a smile. The lobby is always spotless.
My room was on the 3rd floor. Very clean. Very quiet. The hallway leading to my room was fairly busy with guests coming/going but once in my room I really didn't notice the other guests.
My room was #312 which overlooks the pool.
Parking here is not bad. With the hotel permission I park next door at the garden shop.
A quality place all around.

"Well done HoJo. I will be back as i always do."

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Thank you for your review. We love hearing all this positive feedback from our guests:) Next time you are in please introduce yourself... it would be great to put a face to your name, and we would also like to give you a Thank You gift for sharing ALL your happy experiences with us to the TripAdvisor community. Thank you again. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you soon. 'Happiness, It's What We Do' :)

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Location is good for me, since it's near the relatives, but others might find it far from downtown or the university. It is by the Commonwealth pool. The staff is nice, restaurant not bad but basic. Accommodated 14 of us.

• Stayed: May 2012
JTrowbridgeManager, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel & Suites by Wyndham Victoria Elk Lake, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience with us here on TripAdvisor. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you next time you are in Victoria.

Although, as you mentioned we are not located in the heart of downtown, there are many attractions located quite close to the hotel, Beaver/Elk Lake(10km loop)/Royal Oak Golf Course/Cordova Bay Golf Course/Butchart and Butterfly Gardens/Royal Oak and Broadmead Shopping Centres. As we are located right along a major bus route most main attractions are within 5-15 minute drive by bus or car; some also as little as a 5 minute walk.

Our hotel is a great alternative to those who don't want to pay for parking downtown or trouble themselves with the traffic in the city.

Again, Thank You for taking time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor Community.
Go Happy. Go Hojo.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

I've stayed at Howard Johnson Hotel and Suites near Elk Lake on two occasions in the past few weeks. On both stays I was arriving late. The front desk staff were pleasant and courteous without being plastic. Each time my bed was wonderfully comfortable, the room was quiet and much to my surprise the little basket of tea & coffee included a packet of cookies.The spotless refrigerator held two bottles of water. I am a restless sleeper at the best of times, but slept better at H.J. than I have some nights at home.

Genuine interest in guests is always nice. When I vaguely described acquaintances who had recommended the hotel the woman at the counter smiled in recognition and mentioned them by name.

I'm really looking forward to my next overnight trip to "the big island" and another stay at the warm and friendly Howard Johnson by Elk Lake.

Room Tip: If you're bothered by high traffic noise, book early and ask for a room on the back of the building. Be careful though, during the summer the pool will be open and you may have pool guest noise to contend with. :-) They don't have room service per se but the Lakeside is happy to take a phone order and put your meal on a tray for you to pick up.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
JTrowbridgeManager, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel & Suites by Wyndham Victoria Elk Lake, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2012

Thank you for your great reveiw. We are so pleased to have met and exceeded your expectations. I absolutely remember you, we spoke about you returning on your next trip to Victoria and offering you our preferred corporate rate.

Thank you for taking the time to tell everyone about your experience with us. It's feedback like this that makes us all love our jobs that much more. Providing excellent service and hospitality is what we strive to do for every guest. We know its not always easy to be on the road but if we can make your stay feel somewhat like home than we have accomplished what we set out to... be your home away from home.

Looking forward to chatting with you next time you are in. Thank you again for sharing your experience at the Howard Johnson Hotel and Suites Victoria.