“Great Place to Stay”

Magnuson Franklin Square Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Houghton
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed at the Inn and attended a wedding reception there. The rooms were clean, beds were cozy, updated and freshly painted. We had a wonderful view of the water. The reception room was beautiful the staff was very friendly and food was wonderful.

To top it off we got a coupon for a free drink in the bar and a coupon for breakfast for $2.99 or $3.00 any regular breakfast, free continental breakfast. The $2.99 breakfast was a choice of a couple different items but we had 2 eggs, toast, potatoes, sausage, and coffee for 6 bucks.

It really could not have been a better stay. If you are looking for a place to stay when the colors are changing I would recommend the waterfront view. But in the winter you can see the ski hill.

I will be back !

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank lisas2urn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Eagle River
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I have to say that my husband after traveling from Eagle River up to Copper Harbor and then to Houghton were very pleased with this hotel from the moment we walked in the door. They gave us a 10% discount for being on our bikes. We had a beautiful room that over looked the water. We went to the lounge and I wanted a certain wine that they did not have at the bar and the bartender went down to the 'cellar' and returned with the perfect bottle of wine for me! I was very pleased! We sat on the cushions by the window and enjoyed the scenery while the sun was setting and the boats were going by... The restaurant was just as accomodating they had awesome bread, and I couldn't choose between the lobster or the mushroom ravioli and they did half and half. With a side of spinach I was very pleased! My husband enjoyed his steak very much. We were so full but still wanted the creme brule' and the very nice waitress put it, two spoons and a pitcher of water, the rest of my wine( that the bartender made sure we were charged for the bottle in the end and not per glass.) all on a tray for us to take to our room.
I have to say it was a perfect night for our anniversary celebration and from the moment we walked in a positive experience! We will stay there again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kathhicks
Houghton, Michigan
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I'm a wheelchair bound "local yokel" who stayed with my nephew from Brooklyn, New York, over-nite. The caliber of this facility is outstanding!! From Brian, Jan and Liz (in training-- give her time) at the front desk, Cormac in the Lounge, Kendra waitress at breakfast, handicapped accessible room, comfortable mattress-- you can't go wrong!! .

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms cost alittle more.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Wheelie812
Northfield, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 July 2011

After being unable to stay at another place in Houghton, we were lucky enough to get a room here after literally walking in off the street. The check-in clerk was busy, but pleasant and helpful, and - as a nice gesture - gave us the lower "streetside" rate for a "lakeside" room that had a truly spectacular view of the Portage Lake canal. The room was small but clean and functional. The shower was especially good! (A darker curtain/shade would have been good, given the long summer days in Houghton.)

Other aspects of our stay are worth mentioning. I appreciated the coupons for dining in the hotel's restaurant; we had a breakfast up there and thought it was very good. It's true that the pool could be updated, but it was more than adequate. (My two daughters loved it.)

The hotel's location is absolutely ideal: it's right on Houghton's main street, and no more than ten minutes' walk to every bit of downtown. The hotel overlooks the waterfront, which means great views of the canal and easy access to a walking path along the canal. We had a great time here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ctassava
tomtom60, Owner at Magnuson Franklin Square Inn, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Please contact the hotel if we can be of any further service. Hope you stay with us again in the future. Jan Lubinski, Owner
Gladstone, Michigan
Reviewed 14 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel for years and finally stopped due the ongoing frustrations.
It has a nice location and view of the waterfront canal. The furniture in the rooms and dining room are in need of repair, refinishing and/or replacement. The mattresses are old and uncomfortable, as are the couches and chairs. The suites with a balcony are very cold in the winter from the aluminum frame doors with poor insulation.
The restaurant and bar are in desperate need of refurbishment. The bar is often out of select liquor. The food is basically Sysco entrees and seem pre-cooked. The entrees are very mediocre, extremely salty and very over priced. Breakfast is a reduced price for guests, but was always a chaotic experience. I had to walk into the kitchen on numerous occasions to find the wait staff to be seated for breakfast when the dining room was empty.
i feel Michigan Tech University keeps them in business.
The desk staff have always been very friendly.

Room Tip: Best rooms are with the view of the water.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank gniedermaier
I would like to offer my deepest apologies for your disappointing stay at our hotel. To better serve our customers, we are in the process of updating our guest rooms with the latest hospitality trends. Unfortunately, this is not an overnight process. If you choose to stay with us in the future, I hope you will be pleased with the changes made. Thank you, Jan Lubinski
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Visited in July 2010 while visiting friends and family in the Keweenaw. Rooms are outdated, pool is outdated (in the basement with no windows and poor ventilation), and the service was mediocre. Were it not for the view of the canal and the short walking distance to local restaurants I would have stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank MTUGrad
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 17 November 2010

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel on business. The staff is very friendly and made me feel at home each night. The resturant has great food (both breakfast and dinner). The pool area is a bit older, but still in good condition.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houghton
2.3 km away
0.5 km away
Super 8 Houghton
Super 8 Houghton
#2 of 7 in Houghton

Been to Magnuson Franklin Square Inn? Share your experiences!