New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Beachfront Hotel Houghton Lake Michigan

Beachfront Hotel Houghton Lake Michigan
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Houghton Lake
Roscommon
“Friendly Staff / Very Clean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed 2 nights at Beachfront while my cottage was being de-winterized. The staff was as friendly as I have experienced in any other hotel location. I vacationed in Florida several times and the U.S. Virgin Islands during the winter and have stayed at some pricey hotels and resorts over the years. The pool area was clean and the water was warm and inviting. The guest room overlooking Houghton Lake was also clean and spacious for the price. I have spent a lot of time at Houghton Lake and was surprised that I had been unaware of this gem.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Mary P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
northern Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

We had a room facing the water. It was clean and comfortable. Fairly basic but good value for the money. It was the dead of the winter and Houghton Lake was frozen solid. It was fun watching the ice fishermen and snowmobilers speed over the ice.

My only complaint is that it became quite loud about 2:00 am. I am assuming it was a group of snowmobilers just arrived home from the bar and wanting to continue their partying. They spent about one hour pacing the hallways, going from room to room, talking loudly and slamming doors. We called to the front desk but their really wasn't much they could do. I still give the hotel five stars because I do not think this was their fault. Just keep in mind that the winter crowd includes hard-partying snowmobilers who may not be respectful of other guests.

I am not exactly sure when this hotel reopened under new management but I can definitely say that the new owners are doing an excellent job. They made many improvements and renovations before opening and the rooms are in great shape. I will definitely stay here again when I go to Houghton Lake next winter.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the lake, preferably upper floors.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank upnorthjodie
Holly, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

This Hotel is truly a Jewell of the north!!! Very clean super nice staff everyone was so nice. It is by far the nicest Hotel I have stayed in and I stay in a lot of Hotels it my job! I have never promoted a Hotel before but this one deserves it!!! It is truly a must see!!! Clean, Clean, Clean,

Liked: Rooms, Service, Location, Value

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank janice t
South Haven, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

We had an excellent stay at the Beachfront Hotel. It was very clean and comfortable. We visited in October so it was also very quiet & relaxing. We were only able to stay overnight but are planning a longer stay sometime next year. Our room overlooked the lake which was just gorgeous. Very happy with the experience!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MK C
MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my family. The rooms were very clean and great views of the lake. We enjoyed watching the sunrise in the morning while sitting on the beach. Staff was very friendly and did a great just making sure we had everything we needed. We were very happy with our stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lerikss
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

Enjoyed the stay, will be visiting again next year!

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Bgon1313
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

My Mom (74) and I (54) spent the night of September 20th at this hotel. We checked in at 3:00 in the afternoon, and paid $75 for the night. Melissa was very nice and friendly when she checked us in, and we were given room #316 which was just down the hall from the front desk. Seemed so strange to walk into the lobby from the street, and then just walk across the hall to our room and it was on the third floor. But the hotel is built into a large hill, so from the lakeside it does show 4 floors but from the street side you only see 2. Our room (two beds) was very clean (and I do look for dirt in hotels!). The bathroom was exactly the type I like, with the toilet and tub/shower in a separate room and the sink out in the entry part. Always like it that way so one person can be showering while another can be using the sink. I was glad to have a refrigerator in the room for our drinks. The room also had a hair dryer, shampoo and lotion, coffee maker, iron/ironing board. We enjoyed the balcony, and since the weather was still warm we were able to sit out there awhile in the late afternoon and evening. The only thing that would have been nice in the room would have been a recliner chair, as there was plenty of room in one corner for it. We went out to the beach and walked out on the dock to take pictures, the grounds were very well kept with quite a few flowers still blooming. And we enjoyed the ducks and geese, and of course the beautiful view of the water.

We peeked in at the pool and whirlpool area, looked nice and it was empty so I was wishing I would have packed my swimsuit. The game room still had the "out of order" sign that another reviewer mentioned from a week ago. I agree that not all games could be "out of order" so it seems strange the whole room would be closed off. Wasn't a disappointment for me, but for a family with children who enjoy game rooms I'm sure it would be. The exercise area has a stair climber machine and one treadmill, we didn't use them.

The lobby is nicely decorated with a huge fieldstone fireplace, lots of windows, and a beautiful antler "up north" style chandelier with comfortable seating and a flat screen TV. There were a few tables and chairs in the lobby as well.

After our good night's sleep we enjoyed the continental breakfast they offered. They had make-your-own waffles, several kinds of oatmeal/cold cereals and milk, orange and cranberry juices, coffee, tea, bagels, breads for toasting, cream cheese/jellies, pre-packaged pastries, fresh apples and bananas, and hard boiled eggs.

We checked out and the friendly staff member (I forget her name) greeted us with a smile and asked if we enjoyed our stay and I told her we did, very much.

For the reasonable price we were extremely happy and satisfied, and I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our 3rd floor (4 floors total) room for the balcony and view, but as another poster said...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
6.5 km away
American Inn & Suites
American Inn & Suites
#6 of 15 in Houghton Lake

Been to Beachfront Hotel Houghton Lake Michigan? Share your experiences!