Lakeside Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Houghton Lake
Rockford
“GREAT”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

My husband and I stayed for three days and you couldn't have asked for anything better. The people they have working there are the best. They go out of their way to make sure your stay is a good one. Our room was on the lakeside with a great view. The next day we had the best continental breakfast of any hotel we have ever stayed at. We would definitely go there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
kingsford mi
Reviewed 6 February 2012

The room was dirty, wallpaper falling off the walls, the screen door on balconly was broke! Hot tub was dirty in room, the pool was freezing!! Then the food in the resteraunt was disgusting!! NEVER again, for a newer place its falling apart inside and out!! Siding is falling off, the rust in the pool area is nasty!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank danielle s

Travellers are raving about these Houghton Lake hotels

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We purchased day passes to swim and stayed 1 hr. The water was way to cold, rust everywhere. The changing room that was horrible, we changed in the front lobby bathroom. They allowed people to swim in full clothing- Disgusting!!!! Most nice pools ask people to shower before swimming.... they looked as if they walked in and jumped in the pool Jeans and sweatshirts??? We sat at a table over by a "employee only room" , cigarette smell was so strong and you could see smoke coming from under the door. I went to ask the front desk if it was a smoke free hotel and they said they'd take care of that right away. So disappointed! There was a radio blaring loud music with songs I'd rather not have my toddler hear. Pizza and food were all over the floor that looks like it had been there for days! Don't waste your money on this run down dirty place! They informed us they were having an adult only paint/glow pool party in the dark from 12am-2pm! Gross, I could just imagine what they allow then. This hotel should be shut down, I can't believe they pass health inspections. There was a broke off rusted pipe near the entrance to the hot tub.. I was worried for our safety!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Jasmine L
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Lets begin with this is a beautiful location, right on the western shores of Houghton Lake. Its a newer hotel, with so much potential. That being said, reception was fast and easy. The room was nice, and a fair price.
The pool area, so called waterpark, which at one time was pretty nice, is run down. Maintenance is terrible to non-existant. One of the two Jacuzzis not working. No lifeguards, needed since they sell day passes. The water temp in the water slide pool colder than the lake outside in December. The lazy river had no flow. Three inner-tubes. The sides of pool need a good scrubbing.
The bath changing room was a nightmare. Rust coming off the door running onto the floor. Towelrack and soap dispenser ripped apart.. Its like maintenance doesn't even visit the pool area. Bring your own towels, the few the provide run out.
That's why its Night and Day. Its too bad, it real could be a gem.

• Stayed December 2011
Mt. Pleasant, MI
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We had such a great time! I brought my entire family here for an early Thanksgiving celebration and first thing, we were able to get into our room immediately! It is their slow season, but they had all our keys ready to go! The water 'park' was definitely more than just the water slide shown on the pictures online. There was a shallow kiddie pool with some spraying features, a seperate calmer pool, a HUGE hot tub, and a lazy river. Unfortunately, there was a breaker out for the lazy river so it had no current! The phone didn't work either which was unfortunate when the towels ran out. They also had offered a pool side bar online, but when we arrived got sad news that they had to close it due to the lack of a liquor license. We spent a good three hours at the pool before we realized the restaurant, Lakeside, attached was offering 50 cent drafts and free buffalo wings from 4-6pm. There was a confusion about the buffalo wings. They did not tell us at first that they were only for those who were buying drinks. The hotel I work at has a reception with appetizers from Bennigan's next door, but it is for everyone with no restrictions as such. Anyways, we were able to have dinner there for all 36 of us, which went over real well! After dinner, they opened the breakfast dining room for us so we could hang out, play cards, snack, etc at no cost. Around 11pm, one of my cousins realized the restaurant next door had a guest dj and karaoke! That was the best part of our trip hands down even though they stopped karaoke at about midnight after only 5 songs were sang total! Bummer for sure! My only other concern was that I requested no authorization on my debit card which held all of my family's rooms until arrival and I had neary $300 in authorizations. Other than a few glitches here and there the hotel itself was amazing. It had do much for us to do even in November. We decided we wanted to return in the summer months when we could utilize the outdoors and beach access!

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms have balconies! You could wake up to the sun rising out your balcony door!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Saginaw
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Went for a scrapbook weekend, arrived and checked in at 2:30pm. I received a call from home( Saginaw) my mom was taken in for emergency surgery. I packed up and waited in tears for my husband to drive up and get me. I was assured at the front desk that under the circumstances I would not be charged, I thanked them for their understanding. Three weeks later I find out they DID charge me for one night. I know this is a business but I DID NOT EVEN USE THE ROOM. There were people coming in looking for a room, all they had to do was call housekeeping to see the room was as it was when I checked in.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank dursnece
Houghton Lake, Michigan
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My wife and I have a horrible experience at the property. There was hair in the bath tub. There was human material on the blanket on the bed. There were two wasps in the room that had to be destroyed. I would no recommend this place to anyone. The management made promises that were never kept.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1.2 km away
Super 8 Houghton Lake
Super 8 Houghton Lake
#1 of 15 in Houghton Lake

Been to Lakeside Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!