“nice place, helpful and friendly staff.” 5 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Escanaba, Michigan
“nice place, helpful and friendly staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

I always stay at Best Western hotels when I travel and have always been pleased, this one was no exception. Nice place, clean rooms, exceptionally friendly and helpful staff, and a convenient location all made for a very pleasant stay. I would recommend it to anyone staying in Kalamazoo.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Frankenmuth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

Our family of five normally stays at Holiday Inns. For this past weekend's (October 22 and 23) trip to Kalamazoo, we decided to give this Best Western property a try (The hotel's website - advertising a completely renovated facility - sounded so promising). I write this review so others aren't fooled as my family was. Parts of the hotel were, indeed, renovated but very shoddily and cheaply so: Uneven tiles, falling wallpaper, slapped-on paint. This would not have been such a big deal were the "unrenovated" sections of the hotel so abyssmal (Chipping paint, missing ceiling tiles, rusty door frames and fixtures). The "old" facility must have been a complete wreck!

Additionally, all parts of the hotel - renovated or not - were just downright dirty. There were flies on the windowsills and stains on the carpet, The tiling in our room was sticky, there was mold in corners of the bathroom, and a scummy haze covered everything: Bathroom and kitchen fixtures, refrigerator, countertops; it was as if everything had been wiped down with a very dirty rag.

So too is abyssmal a word I would use to describe the hotel's customer service. Here's an example: While waiting in line for the sofa sleeper's bedding (Bedding that a top-notch facility would have provided in the room in the first place), I overheard the following conversation between the guest in front of me and the receptionist on duty:

Guest: May we have a new room, please? Our toilet is not working.
Receptionist: What's wrong with it?
Guest: It won't flush and has overflowed all over the bathroom.
Receptionist: We're sold out tonight.
Guest: What am I supposed to do?
Receptionist: I can give you a plunger.

(Later, I commiserated with this particular guest in the stairwell; she indicated that they went out, themselves, to buy a plunger - not wanting to be handed a dirty plunger across a hotel front desk).

Finally, the complimentary breakfast was completely second-rate (Even my not-so-discriminating children compared it very unfavorably to the Holiday Inn's breakfast). In fact, the breakfast experience was so bad it was almost comical. While there was a waffle iron, there was no spray. Thus, guests were left scraping the remnants of burned waffles out of the iron. The stacked styrofoam coffee cups were totally stuck together: I watched person after person struggling to remove one cup from the stack - while the breakfast attendant on duty did nothing to help.

There are several other hotels in close proximity to the Best Western - many with suites (In fact, the Holiday Inn is right next door). Were I to visit Kalamazoo again, I would choose any of these hotels and stay away - far away - from this place!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank MCSEZ
Dublin, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Pros:
-Large rooms
-Refrigerator and microwave included
-Location to Western Michigan University and local restaurants and bars
-Breakfast included

Cons:
-Poor service and slow to no response by hotel staff and management
-No maintenance on weekends
-Small bathroom with no ledge/shelf in shower to hold soap, shampoo, etc.
-Extremely slow elevators (only 4 floors)
-Dirty and broken amenities in room and lobby
-Outdated furnishings

Reported a broken toilet in our room which hotel staff failed to fix (was told maintenance doesn't work on the weekends). The manager was contacted by the front desk clerk, but instead of fixing the immediate problem, they only offered to take $20 off of our night's stay.

The hotel was extremely short staffed and unprofessional. Regardless of numerous attempts to get our toilet fixed, we were left to use the hotel lobby restroom fo r the duration of our stay.

Would NOTrecommend this hotel.

Room Tip: For location and a simple, functioning room we prefer the Comfort Inn on Stadium Drive/West Michigan...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank BeachBlonde84
Traverse City MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

We spent one night here over Labor Day weekend. The rooms are large, clean, and the carpeting and furniture look new. The common areas are nice and the breakfast was very adequate. Once we replaced 2 light bulbs everything was fine. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the expressway to avoid the road noise.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Long Grove, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

The room we had was a 2 bed suite. The entry room was huge with a nice little kitchenette and full size refrigerator. Also a sleeper couch, flat screen tv, and a desk. The beds were comfortable and have new updated bedding. I have a couple of issues with this hotel and that is that the breakfast was not appealing and some customer service issues. A number of times I came to the desk and there was nobody working - no bell or way to alert the staff that a guest was waiting. This to me is also a safety concern. The location is amazing for Western Michigan or Kalamazoo College. There are lots of good places to eat nearby too.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

This hotel is spotless and in excellent condition, Rooms are very large with amenities like flat screen TV, desk, kitchenette, eating area, sitting area and desk. Excellent value. Just passing through, can't comment on proximity to Kalamazoo attractions. Restaurants are a few minutes away by car. This hotel is pet friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

Booked a two bed suite. The hallway was bright with a nice carpet but when I opened The room, I regretted that I booked this place.

I wanted to take advantage of their stay three separate locations stays get a free night so I opted to stay at BW. The rooms were kinda renovated and I can't imagine what it was before. They have new beds and sofa bed and window covering but they should have fully renovated the bathroom, carpet, lighting and the small things that would have made a difference.

Let's see, the toilet had black stains, the faucet handle was broken, the bathtub looked stained, the bathtub plug was off, the walls were dirty, there was holes in the sheets, dark room and limited lighting and the towels were grey! I thought that maybe we just got a bad set so we asked for extra towels but they were the same except for one! I thought maybe it the lighting but the facecloth were white. I've been in motels that have thin white towels before which I was okay but having grey towels just doesn't sit well with me.

I was so disappointed at myself that I didn't do my due diligence in finding a decent place to stay for my family. We didn't even bother with the breakfast the next day.

The mattress was decent and it was actually new, saw the mattress peaking out on the side.

Also had dinner at a place called Rustica in downtown Kalamazoo which had great food. Also noticed a Staybridge closely. Should have stayed there instead.

• Stayed August 2011