All reviews front desk an extended stay pots pans allow pets room was clean business travel top floor home away from home exercise room property exits washing microwave hallway highway bulb mattress
Reviewed July 30, 2017 via mobile

I stayed here for one night during a business trip
Honestly I was not comfortable here
It is an extended stay facility a cross between an Extended Stay America and Holiday Inn
There were no issues and no problems and maybe it's just me but as a business traveler I found it uncomfortable with large groups and radios playing in the hallways
The staff was friendly and helpful but it doesn't overcome the general atmosphere in the hotel

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Fred R, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you did not find your recent stay with us exceptional, as we strive to exceed our guest expectations.

Reviewed July 21, 2017 via mobile

Very convenient for going to shows at the convention center, very walkable distance to save you from traffic jams and dui's when leaving. Rooms are above average and service is very friendly and helpful. Didn't use the facilities but they looked normal for a three star experience.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2017

Hi InspireMI,

Hello from IHG! Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you find our hotel conveniently located and you find our service friendly and helpful! Giving us a rating of three star means we can still improve in the different areas of our service to you. Assuredly we will think of ways to be better and be the hotel that guests love.

I hope to have the honor of hosting you again should your travels bring you back to to the area.

Again, thanks for preferring Candlewood Suites.

Safe travels!

Ronald R.
Case Manager
IHG Service

Reviewed July 19, 2017

Made this perfectly located property my home for 35 days in JUN/JUL '17 while working at a customer site in Kalamazoo. My room was first floor at the end of hallway. Room was spacious, great air conditioner, great water pressure, amenities are cheap I had the property remove their items and replaced with my own pots/pans/sheets/towels/cutlery/plates. Conveniently located at Exit 80, everything useful was within access to I-94 in 3-6 minutes. There is not much in the way of restaurants nearby, but 2 exits down on Westnedge has many nice spots to eat. For groceries I suggest Sam's Club, Meijer and Walmart all located on Westnedge in Portage. Avoid Kalamazoo shops and restaurants whenever possible and thank me later for the tip. Samantha, Fred, Toni and all the other staff exceeded all of my expectations and went above and beyond for me. I had mail and packages delivered without issue. Watch for families and other members of the inexperienced traveling public on the weekends. Only down side of the hotel was either a small population {30-40} of refugees or other recent immigrants that didn't speak English, didn't meet/conform to American customs and norms, camped out at the washing machines, congregated in common areas, were loud talking in the hallways and generally made some guests and employees feel uncomfortable and unsafe. Be advised the property allows pets to stay at the property, ask for a room that doesn't allow pets if allergies are a concern.

Room Tip: End of hallway, away from smoking rooms, away from elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Brian W
Reviewed July 5, 2017 via mobile

First have to say the entire staff was very pleasant and friendly.
When we first got on the room, I grabbed the remote and it had glue residue from stickers it once had with hairs and dust hanging from it (1).
After dinner and doing some old fashioned dish washing, I started getting a very foul and "fishy" smell from the sink and it was from the garbage disposal. What ever it was in there, it could still be seen and smelled horrible (2)!
The following morning, I wanted to brew some coffee and noticed the pot was not clean. It still had coffee stains inside that I washed off with soap but still inconvenient (3).
Lastly, the shower head had 2 settings, no pressure or striking needles (4).
A bit of work and this place can be fantastic.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2017

Hello Esme M,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, MI. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment about our staff.

However, on behalf of the hotel, I'm sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the remote, the kitchenette, coffee making facilities and your shower experience. We will address these concerns. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed June 12, 2017 via mobile

Using a discount for the college our son was tending I decided to stay at CS for our student/parent orientation. Check in was quick and smooth. Entering my 4th floor room I immediately smelled cigarette smoke odor in the non-smoking room. I returned to front desk to "report" (not complain) the situation. Samantha at the front desk was apologetic and within seconds I was in a new room on the first floor. She was extremely professional and made my stay enjoyable. Room was clean and fresh and I love CS mini kitchens! I did not spend time on the property. The bed was NOT comfortable but I managed to get forty winks. Occasionally on leisure trips we look for an all-suite property. CS should invest in a better made mattress to keep my business when looking for a suite stay.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Fred R, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2017

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the problems you encountered during your recent stay with us. We are working diligently to rectify the a/c issues and bedding. We hope you will come stay with us again.