Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East - Expo Center
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 25 August 2017

The pictures in the internet looked decent. When we arrived the reception staff barely looked up at us, mumbled and could care less about us being there. She did not even tell us out room number or where it was located, she just passed over the key with the room number written on it.

Fast forward the room smelled disgusting, maybe old smoke or something, to the point I left my luggage in the car so the sleep would not be on my clothing. I wore my shoes in the room the entire time due to the dirty floor. Looking at the bedding I had considered just leaving but due to the time of night and work the next day it wasn't an option.

In the morning, needless to say I had not slept well and found the pillow shimmied out of its casing. The pillow itself had blood on it. Beyond gross! The shower did not drain and I was standing in a pool of soapy water. Stay away.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank javrox1

Reviewed 24 August 2017

This property is not up to Red Roof (or any other motel chain) standards. Room was not clean and seemed to be very beat up. Red Roof needs to protect its reputation by revoking affiliation with this property.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Small room, clean no amenities. But a safe clean spot to sleep. Wi-Fi is pretty spotty, but it's less than $10 to down town by Lyft on. a Wednesday night. Easy access to the highway and right across from The Crew for breakfast

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Raj P, Guest Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East - Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear Scubansurf,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your most recent stay with Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East.

We appreciate the compliments on our property and are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay greatly. It is our goal to make sure our guest are 100% satisfied during their stay.

We do hope you may give us a chance in the future to change your opinion of us if your travels bring you back to the Kalamazoo area.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

A bit high priced by $20 in my opinion. Rooms are more well furnished than in the past. Main disappointment was a lack of sound proofing from parking lot voices and vehicles. Had to run the loud A/C fan all night to over come external noises. Next time I'll drop 20 bucks more for a better place and get a breakfast to boot.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

Dear Mr. Bill H,

We are sorry to hear that your stay was not one to remember as it is our goal for every guest to depart with nothing but good memories of their stay. I have spoken with our staff about the issues you experienced during you stay to insure these issues don't happen again in the future. I do want to let you know that at any point and time during your stay at Red Roof Inn you experience issues with your room there is someone happy and willing to help you with those issues at our front desk 24/7.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

We stayed here two nights while in KZoo for a concert, and we were quite happy with our room. Staff are Very engaging and helpful. Room was comfortable with modern appointments and a good hot shower. Coffee maker and fridge in the room, fresh hot coffee in the lobby, too. Neighborhood is industrial park with other hotels and restaurants in the area. Denny's, The Crew and Burger King are within walking distance. I was even able to walk up the road to Sweetwater Donut Mill. Some of the bad reviews made me hesitant to stay here, but everything was fine. I always read reviews thinking is this a Hilton person staying in a Red Roof, which you can't really compare the two. This is a review written by a "Roof" patron saying this is a perfectly fine Red Roof Inn. Great value.

Room Tip: I think we were in 107.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Ms. Jane P.,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback on your most recent experience with us at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East.

We are so pleased that we have become a tradition in your travels both coming and going. Our most important task is to keep guest's like you returning to our Inn for years to come, while keeping them happy and comfortable during their stay with us.

We look forward to your next stay with us and wish you the best until then.

Reviewed 15 July 2017

Booked this room for 2 nights. Placed our belongings in the room, turned on the air conditioner and drove to a local attraction. When we returned to our room, a bad musty odor was in the room. We quickly learned that the odor was coming from the air conditioning unit. The room was dark, so we opened the blinds completely for better lighting. We then also noticed that the bedspread on the bed nearest to the window had multiple heavy stains on it. Due to these conditions, we asked for a refund but were told by a night shift employee that we could only request this tomorrow with management.
We contacted 1st shift employees the following day and did recieve a full refund.
Photos of bedding at this same property posted here by guests on TripAdvisor, show similar conditions to the ones that we experienced. In my opinion, day shift management seemed fair and very understanding of the situation and especially so when I explained that a child would have been sleeping in the room that we had booked. On the other hand, the female employee that we dealt with on the aftenoon shift made the most minimal of efforts to resolve the situation. In fact, at no time did she even offer to show us another room at this property which is standard procedure. All in all, the conditions in our room were unacceptable. However, management did resolve our issues in a fair and equitable manner and do deserve credit for that . TripAdvisor travelers will have to make up their own minds on this one. Good luck.
J.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Raj P, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East - Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your stay at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East.

We apologize for the cleanliness of your room, and want you to know that we are working very hard at correcting this. We have started sending our comforters out for dry cleaning versus washing them here at our property as we did not have all the tools needed to properly treat stains. We also have deep cleaners working on the rooms to correct anything that may have gotten behind in the rooms. We are so sorry that this was not done before your stay, and wanted you to know that it is reviews like yours that tells us how we are doing and where we need to improve and we greatly appreciate this.

We do hope in the future if you need to stop over in Kalamazoo for any reason that you may stay with us again.

Amish P

Reviewed 10 June 2017

First impression was that it wasn't a bad place. All the daytime front desk people were very nice and helpful. They're the only reason I'm giving two stars instead of 1.

However, late night desk woman was lazy and rude. Housekeeping poured out an entire bottle of vodka I left on the desk, when I brought this to woman's attention she basically called me a liar and said housekeeping couldn't/wouldn't do it since they were Indian. (???) I asked if they had an alcohol policy and she said "No, lots of guests have alcohol in their rooms." When I asked "why the hell would they pour mine out then?" She got very upset that I "swore" and wouldn't really help after that, even though I apologized twice for offending her. Said she'd leave it for the day manager to deal with but I doubt she made a report or anything. I understand mistakes happen but her response is the reason I won't be returning or recommending this location.

Rooms are ok. Bedspread had a large burn hole in it, despite 100% free non-smoking rooms. No refrigerator. AC is loud which can be good because you can use it to tune out your neighbors who you will definitely be hearing. Housekeeping never changed my sheets and I stayed here for a week. (Although after they took liberties with my personal property I stopped letting them into the room.)

Room Tip: Take all your valuables and alcohol with you when you leave.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank A K
Raj P, Public Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East - Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Naomi Luttrell