“Bates Motel”
Review of Motel 6 Kalamazoo

Motel 6 Kalamazoo
Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 11 October 2016

The room was very dirty, bed was like a rock ( 1 mattress on top of wooden box) No coffee in the room, but plenty of it stained on the wall. Towel bars missing, burn holes in bedding, yet this is a smoke free motel.

Room Tip: Clarion across the way about $40 more a night but worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
6Team, Brand Experience Team Member at Motel 6 Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We strive to provide a comfortable night's rest, and are disappointed your stay was unsatisfactory due to the noise concerns you describe. Safety and security are high priorities within Motel 6 standards for quality and we regret you felt differently during your visit. Motel 6 standards for quality rest on our promise to offer the lowest price of any national chain by delivering the essential elements of a comfortable room for a satisfying stay, for this reason we apologize for the disappointment you describe in the expectations of amenities. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 8 October 2016

Well, I was at this location 2 years ago and was HIGHLY impressed. I decided to come back to this location since I needed a weekend stay for WMU Homecoming. I checked in pretty late on Friday, of which I had already reserved a room. I get into the room to discover the tub was not cleansed, in a long period of time, the bathroom light was blown, and the room smelled of cigarette smoke. I call the front desk right away and he requested I stay until the morning and he would have help as soon as possible. Well morning comes and no response. OH... did I forget to mention the baby roaches? Anyhow, I call around 9:30 and the only response I could get was the manager wouldn't be in until 5 and there was no one available to take care of my situation. Someone comes an hour later with a plunger??? I told this nice, but non- uniformed person of the problem and showed her the tub, of which she cleaned rather well, but also stated she couldn't believe what she saw. I still had a dark bathroom and called back around 12:30, just to get a hang up by the desk person because he felt he couldn't do anything about my situation. I called Corporate office... his response was for me to wait until rooms were available after 3 or 4 or accept 50% off for the weekend and take care of it before I left. I go to the office at 3:00, the manager is finally present, but has the nerve to get angry at me for calling Corporate. Really???? What was I supposed to do wit the service I was receiving. He chose to not acknowledge Corporate and said I would have to wait for check out for a resolution. I did not want anyone in my room if I wasn't there and I told him that, due to my Chihuahua being there and my computer and other gadget accessories. Soooo, didn't he call to offer me a light bulb change at 4:30???? No, thanks because I was on campus and wanted to be present, which is why I left the room so late in the first place.
Sorry I was long winded, but I've never experienced this type of customer service before. MY lesson? Sometimes it's not worth going for the cheapest... you get cheap service, in turn. My first experience doesn't compare. I don't like staying at hotels that have long term residents.

Room Tip: Check the room out before accepting the room
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
General M, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2017

Dear Sheila M,

Thank you for sharing your experience, and I am so sorry to learn that we failed to meet your expectations of quality service and accommodations. I apologize if you did not feel that our housekeeping met your own standards of cleanliness, though our own standards are very high and include checking up to ensure that rooms are as clean as can be. Your feedback will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for you and other guests in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2016

My wife and I reserved a room at this location, strictly due to price. What a mistake!!

The rooms are in poor condition - the "new" flooring is already cracking, with seam separation.

Our toilet back-up and overflowed - the mgr's response was to give me a broken plunger!!

I had to push for a new room, which they grudgingly gave us. However, the a.c. was broken. It would only run for 10-12 minutes at a time, and then power off. The only way it worked was to open and close the room door!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family

Dear Terry K,

We are sorry to hear that your stay & experience was unpleasant. We do our very best to ensure our rooms & equipment are thoroughly cleaned and maintained. Thank you for bringing this misstep to our attention, as it helps us to improve. We hope you will give us another chance should you return to the area.

Reviewed 24 April 2016 via mobile

The staff is nice but be very careful with the rooms. I am a long time native of the area and there are cockroaches at this hotel. Depending on the room. It's your basic single level outside entrance motel 6. It is not a bad part of town by any means in fact it's one of our suburbs. Theres a speedway gas station next door for basic needs. It's diablo for a night or two but I can't honestly reccomend it for an extended stay. It's one of those hotels where people do "hotel parties". If you're staying in Kalamazoo for an extended period definetly go elsewhere but for a night or few you'll be fine. This location is on the outskirts of our city and the area is very safe. Avoid the north side at all costs. It's very high crime rate. If you're on a budget and need affordable accommodations in our growing city this is a great voice place if you're staying for awhile you want to be on the westside of town (holiday inn 11th street Baymont inn 11th st) or further east any hotel on portage road (very close to our airport) is fantastic too. There is a radisson downtown perfect location and in the heart of nightlife but can be pricey, however Priceline is your friend. I'd never book direct with any hotel around Kalamazoo. Battle creek is an option too however it's a small impoverished city unless you have a reason to be in battle creek don't do it. Overall this motel 6 is mediocre at best. But it does the trick for a night or 2 but I would insist on inspecting the room before agreeing to it.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Shane D
6Team, Brand Experience Team Member at Motel 6 Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2016

Shane,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are committed to delivering a clean, comfortable room and apologize for any failure in delivering on the commitment during your recent stay. We have procedures in place related to our pest policy that should have prevented the inconveniences you describe. Our staff aims to provide the highest level of hospitality to our guests through our customer service, but with your experience we have fallen short and would like to apologize for the service issues you describe. Motel 6 standards for quality rest on our promise to offer the lowest price of any national chain by delivering the essential elements of a comfortable room for a satisfying stay, for this reason we apologize for the disappointment you describe with the expectations of amenities. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 28 March 2016

I stayed here on the way to Ontario and it was late and didn't have a lot of time to look around. A lot of hotels/motels in Michigan are around a $80-90 a night, which is a lot for a basic room like a Red Roof or a Motel 8. This Motel 6 was about half that and although the room was spartan, everything was clean and worked. I just wanted a place to go to sleep and get up and get onto the highway -- and for this, it was perfect. The bed was very basic and I could feel the springs but it was OK. They're trying to go hipster with a new counter and an orange wall but I'd rather have softer towels. I gave them an extra dot because the staff were nice and the location is near the highway and reasonably quiet.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business

Dear Colin F,

Thank you so much for sharing your review and giving us an honest look at the guest
experience in our hotel. I am so glad that you found our hotel to be clean and convenient and that you enjoyed the accommodations and hospitality that we strive to show to each guest, during every stay. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 8 December 2015

I was very pleased with my stay at this Motel 6. The staff was great and my room was just what I needed. I like the wood panel floors, makes the place feel and look clean. Only problem I had was that the tub was a little dirty, but I called to complain and someone came right away to clean it. I like that the room has motion sensor lights and go off after sensing no movement after some hours. I felt like I got a good deal for the price. If all Motel 6 are like this, I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms 139-141, situated to where there are no cars parking right in front of room.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo

Dear Kierstin T,

Thank you for your kind comments and review regarding our high standards of cleanliness and hospitality. I am so glad that you enjoyed the value and the service. It means a lot to us that you've allowed us to be such an important part of your family vacation and we thank you for sharing your experience!

Reviewed 7 October 2015 via mobile

Just traveling through and needed a cheap room. Taking a shower in the bathroom felt gross. This place does register on the bed bug registry. We slept on top of our blankets that we brought from home. Our room seemed "clean" but we left in a hurry in the morning. Wish we would've went to the hotel across the street.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
6Team, brand expericened team member at Motel 6 Kalamazoo, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2015

Bri,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We apologize for any misunderstanding that may have occurred during your recent stay with regard to our bed comfort and the inconveniences you experienced. We are committed to delivering a clean, comfortable room and apologize for any failure in following through on that commitment during your recent stay. Our staff aims to provide the highest level of hospitality to our guests through our customer service, but with the experience you describe we have fallen short and would like to apologize for the service issues you experienced. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.