“Office party gone bad...”

Henderson Castle Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Henderson Castle Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #276 of 371 Restaurants in Kalamazoo
Price range: US$50 - US$120
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Welcome to The Henderson Castle, the most popular inn in Kalamazoo. Whether you're local or coming from Grand Rapids, Detroit, Lansing, South Bend or Chicago, you'll find us to be the best destination for your anniversary, birthday, wedding, graduation or romantic getaway. Situated in the historic West Main Hill neighborhood, you're minutes away from the theatres, shopping and vibrant night life of downtown Kalamazoo, but secluded enough to enjoy a quiet night free from the noise of the city. When you're with us, you'll have a royal experience. Wake up to an incredible breakfast prepared by our experienced Chef. Stay for dinner at our H Prime Chophouse restaurant and indulge in fine food from southwest Michigan. Our Spirits Lounge Bar serves signature Henderson Castle drinks! If you'd like to make dinner reservations or just have a question, don't hesitate to contact us. The Henderson Castle is here for every type of guest.
Reviewed November 6, 2017

I am not going to label anything good or bad – simply going to present the facts and some opinions.

My wife wanted to do something “different” and “special” to celebrate her 25th year in business. She chose Henderson Castle. The plan was to take the office staff for facials in the afternoon then have spouses join for supper. She started making arrangements weeks ahead of time. Initially had a hard time getting return calls from the venue. It was about a week prior to the date when all plans were finally in place for the Friday evening event.

Those who had facials enjoyed the experience. They did say the hors d’oeuvre trays they had during their facials were lacking.

When I arrived – after dark - I found the brick paved parking area and walkways had no lighting to speak of. Which not only made it difficult to see where to go, but made for an uneasy walk. The stairs to the porch weren’t even lit. I could see several lamp posts – none of which were lit. Leaving after our evening was the same situation – no lights. Seems like a huge liability.

Upon entering the castle, I was informed that our reservation had been lost. So, we were offered seating in the private dining room for our group of 8. The host was pleasant enough, not too professional and dressed as if he were working at a casual dining establishment.

The table was of ample size although wasn’t completely set. We had to ask for napkins. I found it a bit odd the silverware did not match and some of us had the same size forks. Is the salad fork not supposed to be smaller? Oh, and the beautiful chandelier above the table only had half its lights working.

Our server came in to take our drink orders – everyone simply chose water. We were also given some warm bread. We then placed our soup & salad orders. Four of us got our orders, the other four waited…and waited. I eventually enjoyed my wedge salad and cream of vegetable soup – which was supposed to have been lobster bisque.

Some time passed and we placed our entrée orders. Some had steaks while others had pork, chicken and walleye. When the steaks came two appeared under cooked and one went back for further cooking. Presentation and taste of the entrees was good – just not as good as I was expecting.

A few of us chose desserts. Those seemed to go over well.

We paid our bill and were simply enjoying some after dinner conversation and winding down. Our server came to the table again and said something to the affect that they were closing and we should go.

Not sure who now owns Henderson Castle but they need to pay more attention to detail and hire servers that are more attentive and professional. My expectations of Henderson Castle were totally shot. We will not be returning nor will we be recommending anyone visit the venue.

Date of visit: November 2017
1  Thank Greg D

Reviewed September 25, 2017

This is a historical building and that is about all the good I can say about it. I went for a high tea special and found the service to be extremely slow and unresponsive, the food was unappetizing, the prices are rather high and the dining room was a mess from a previous party. There are accommodations for large parties and over night stays which we haven't used but I do not recommend it.

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank Anatta2212
Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

We loved staying at the Castle! It is a wonderful B&B! We walked the grounds and the hot tub on the roof is a nice touch! The view up there is amazing! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone that was going to visit Kalamazoo! The staff was very helpful also!

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed July 22, 2017

Last night we made reservations and experienced the castle. With the price and the on line pictures we were expecting a fine dining experience with topnotch service and quality. We have dined at many fine restaurants and were looked forward to our evening. The castle is a very unique and interesting venue, delightful to experience the ambiance of linen table cloths, real candles, and quiet music playing. Our waitress was pleasant and attended well to our needs. Service was done well with dome covered entrees. We ordered our dinners after getting recommendations from the waitress. This is when we started to notice that this was not going to come close to being what we expected. We waited over 30 minutes for our crab cake appetizer that then came served with our salads. During the wait no bread was offered. The crab cake tasted good but was the smallest crab cake we have ever been served and did not match the description of lumpy New England crab cake nor did it look anything like the photos on the menu. I had the house salad which only had one choice for dressing - blue cheese which was very good. If you didn't like blue cheese you had no option. My husband had the Caesar which he enjoyed. Our next course was soup which took another 30 minutes to arrive after we were done eating our salads. We had upgraded to the lobster bisque. It was served with an average roll - 1 per person. I expected in a French establishment to be delighted with European crusty bread. The soup was too salty to eat so we sent it back to the kitchen. The chef sent his apologies and said his new help made it. They had had other complaints yet they still served it to us. My husband took the substitute pork and beans which he said was okay. Then we waited for our entree. It was 2 hours after ordering that our entrees arrived. I had the 45 day aged filet migon medium rare - it was tender and had good flavor. My husband had the NY strip medium- not much flavor. We both ordered the lobster tail which had a nice sweet flavor but was very dry and tough. We ordered cheesecake and creme brule for dessert. The creme brule again was the smallest we have ever been served, and the flavor was off. Each course was plated beautifully but unfortunately the extended wait times between courses and the mediocre food quality will make us hesitate to return. For the same $200 we could have found much better quality food in equally nice settings and service. We would not recommend the Castle as fine dining but more of an experience.

Date of visit: July 2017
2  Thank JudyBergman
Reviewed May 7, 2017

An excellent breakfast in a beautiful dining room. Very good service. A variety of teas were offered, along with fresh fruits, and cooked to order breakfast.

Date of visit: April 2017