“Dirty washcloths, socks, and bugs oh my!”
Review of Clarion Inn

Clarion Inn
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 14 May 2017

This was by far the worst hotel I have every stayed at. There were two dirty stiff washcloths hanging from the shower rod, the walls were scratched and marked up, I found plastic cups and silverware on the floor behind the refrigerator, chips and snack wrappers on the floor, the sheets were dirty. this was day one. That night I went back to my room and found bugs crawling on the walls. Requested a new room. Got to my new room and found dirty socks from a previous guest between the tv stand and dresser, more garbage on the floor, dead bugs on the stained up carpet and a comforter with blood and god knows what else stains on it and dirty yellowed pillowcases. Please please please save yourself and do NOT go to this hotel!!!!

Room Tip: there is no good room if any of them were like mine
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank honeymoonersfromMI

Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

Great Hotel comfy beds nice people clean hot showers never had a bad experience bistro restaurant downstairs is extremely good food fair pricereally nice people really good breakfast in the morning fresh hot coffee every morning not a bad place to stay would referred for anybody

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

So I knew I had to overpay for a hotel because it was WMU's graduation but I overpaid by A LOT. This is a $69 hotel at best. It looks as though it has been recently remodeled and I overheard another guest say, "Wow. This looks totally different than the last time I was here." I was thinking, "You're kidding, right?" They tried. I believe their heart was in the right place, but they only took it about 80% of the way there. Holes in walls from previous decor, not painted to match, missing smoke detector (did make an appearance on night 2 but I'm not convinced it even worked). Door knob (see photo) was brass on one side and chrome on the other (bathroom door) so they kept that classy . Don't stay here for the free breakfast. Not good. Go to the Holiday Inn next door. Or the Four Points. Or the Baymont. All within walking distance. The bar is apparently low for Clarions these days.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Christine B
Reviewed 21 April 2017

Check in was fast and courteous. Reserved a room with a Jacuzzi, but didn't use it because after I looked over the Jacuzzi and saw a couple of curly black hairs laying in the bottom near the drain, I decided to go to the pool instead. The pool is larger than most hotel pools, good for getting in a few laps. There is also a hot tub in the pool area. Room included a refrigerator and microwave, swivel seat and well lit work surface with an electrical outlet. I have stayed at most of the hotels at this intersection (Sprinkle and I94) This will likely become my favorite, as I enjoy a nice swim after being on my feet all day.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Marcus A, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to complete the hotel survey. We appreciate your input and looking forward to having you as a guest again. When visiting again please make sure to ask for me so I can assist you further.

Thank you!

Reviewed 5 April 2017

The hotel is clean enough, but it is a bit dated. The staff took their sweet time getting to the desk to check me in. Even then, they felt it necessary to take a phone call in the middle of my check-in. Guests can wait. It was OK, but not a real bargain. Other newer hotels in the area cost about the same.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank DrMarkDG
Marcus A, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2017

Thank you for staying with us! We appreciate your comments as it helps understand your experience with us during your stay. We're working diligently to improve the quality of your next stay.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 1 April 2017

I enjoyed my stay once again at the Clarion Inn in Kalamazoo. The staff is very nice and the service is
excellent. I really like the Bistro but would like to see more options on food. The food is excellent but would like more varieties . I also miss the biscuits and gravy. I would buy that for supper time too. The
Clarion Inn is always clean and staff is always very helpful and nice.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate hearing from our guests and look forward to having you as our guest again.

We're hoping to expand some of the food options in the Bistro as soon as we can. I'll pass the note on about the breakfast options including the biscuits and gravy. Many people liked that item for breakfast.

Thanks again!

Reviewed 24 March 2017

Came with a group of high school parents and Kids, Manager and staff were good to work with for the most part. Nice entry area and Breakfast area. Typical hotel breakfast. But.... One of the 10 rooms found bed bugs. Another had a burn in the carpet from an iron I am guessing. Then they had the breakfast that we were counting on (reason for staying here instead of other places that do not provide) not ready even an hour after the published time- excuse was an employee in an accident on way to work, but front desk employee noted their relief had not shown up several hours earlier, not sure why they did not get with the manager an plan ahead. We had to take the team across the road to Burger King to get them on the road in time to make it to their competition and not get disqualified. They offered to take off $5 per room to make up for it- not even close to the real cost of getting breakfast for 4 kids per room. Finally after I left another chaperone convinced them to just waive the cost of 1 room. This did cover the Breakfast costs at that point.

Bed bugs make any review an immediate 1 for me, I would actually have gone back up to a 2 because of the staff here, but the breakfast mess up and the way it was handled brought me back down to a 1.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeff V

Thank you for staying with us! We appreciate you completing the online survey. It helps us understand your experience here during your stay.

I have read your review carefully and intend to bring these issues to the management team. I hope we have the opportunity to have you as a guest again. If that's the case, I would like to greet you personally and believe we can make this a pleasurable experience for you.

Best regards.