New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Concord Ohio
“False Advertising and safety issues”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

I traveled with 2 young children to visit a grandchild in the Kalmazoo area. I had researched this hotel and thought I was staying in a smoke free hotel with an outdoor pool that the 3 children could enjoy. The Hotel staff smoked constantly around the pool and the exit doors. The signs around the pool stated "No Pets at pool side". But there was a dog that was allowed around the pool. One evening there were 4 to 5 pople drinking alcohol in glass containers and an adolescent throwing wet towels at people in the pool. There was a room facing the pool with the window open and a toddler climbing in and out of window and on to chairs. This young child was also left unattended at times around the pool. Our toilet overflowed and was not fixed when I requested at the front desk. Several hours later I asked the desk clerk to please come with a plunger to fix the toilet, which he did. I was aware that the costs of the room was less than what I usually paid when I make this trip. But as a consumer, I should be able to trust that the area is non smoking and feel safe in the environment. Otherwise the room was fairly clean, although defintely in need of repair..i.e. molding along the floor was sticking out.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank lilest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Milwaukee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

I had two rooms booked for college graduation. One room was fine, old but relatively clean however the other reeked of cigarette smoke despite Michigan being a Non Smoking state. The carpet was torn and really gross. I suspect the smell was deeply embedded in the dreadul carpet and curtains. We were unable to open the window. When I asked for a room change, the request could not be accomodated as the hotel was booked out. I was offered a refund or room spray. Due to the town being booked out for college graduation, I had to keep the booking which resulted in a miserable night for 2 of my family members. DO NOT book here unless you can be assured that the room does not stink of cigarette smoke. In fact DO NOT travel to Kalamazoo unless you have too as all hotels put their prices up when there is anything going on at the college. Western Michigan is a great college but the hotels (I have stayed in many over 4 years) are ALL rip offs.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Kalamazoo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

I booked this room for my husband and myself to get away from kids for the night. It was Okay for the price. No new updates to anything. Parking was less than average, they had lets just say 100 rooms and parking for 50 rooms. There were cars parked all in the streets, in front of other cars, just everywhere. We were afraid to leave to get something to eat.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Eagle River, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

When we arrived the lobby was very clean and we hoped the hotel room would be the same. We asked for an upgrade room and was given one without any additional cost since I believe they only had a small amount of rooms being used. The room did have a bit of an odor, but was mostly clean. We did not spend much time in the room, except to sleep. Staff was friendly and gave us directions. This hotel is definitely a budget hotel and should only be a 1 star if that.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Kimberly, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

We stayed here at a time when the hotel was completely booked due to workers for a local oil spill. The hotel is all non-smoking, but the hallways all reeked of smoke. My husband saw several men drinking and smoking in a hall just outside our room in the late evening. The bedroom had stained carpet all around the room. The beds were hard, the springs in the mattresses were noisy, the legs under the bed were crooked, the box spring was visible and stained, there were sticky smudges all over the headboard. The breakfast was just pastries, cereal, muffins, not a lot to offer but the food was decent. The pool is outside, and was very cool even though the weather was in the 80s..it also had a lot of garbage floating around in it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Show Low, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

My boyfriend stayed here for a week while he was working and it was the worst hotel experience he has ever had. First of all a week before he arrived the place was busted for having a meth lab running out of one of the rooms. You can get the full story from the two prostitutes living there if you would like. The pool was disgusting and had dirt on the bottom. One of the room that his work partner was assigned to found envelopes of crack just under the bed because the maids were too lazy to notice while cleaning. The sheets were soiled and the rooms all had a bad odor. There are no mivrowaves or refrigerators in the rooms. The continental breakfast consisted of generic stale cereal, sour milk and coffee that was left sitting too long. Don't waste your money here, pay more to go down the street. This in no place for normal adults let alone children. This hotel should be stripped of it's chain name and should not be an econolodge!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mommy2lexi
Benzie County, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2010

We stayed at the Econo Lodge when we were in town for our son's graduation from Western and were quite surprised. I didn't want to spend a lot of money because we would basically only be there to sleep as we had graduation festivities planned. The young man I spoke to when I made the reservations was very helpful and polite, and so was the woman behind the desk when we checked in. The room was clean and the bed was comfy. There weren't a lot of people staying there the week-end we were there, so it was very quiet.
We missed the breakfast (go early, it ends at 9), but we had other plans for breakfast anyway. For $50.00, I'd say it was well worth it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family