“Surprisingly nice”

Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Michigan
“Surprisingly nice”
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We stayed at the Baymont on 11th Ave. for the first time this weekend. I usually pick a little higher end hotel when we travel to Kalmazoo ( which we do frequently as our daughter is in school there - Go Western!). Because it was the WMU vs. CMU game this past weekend everyone was pretty full so I went with Baymont.
I wasn't expecting too much as the previous reviews were spotty but was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was quiet, clean and very comfortable. Even though we were on the first floor and opened the window overnight for a little fresh air, the parking lot, hotel and patrons were quiet. I was expecting some noise as it is traditionally such a party weekend - but nothing. We did not have the breakfast, though lots of people were there when I went to get coffee, so I cannot comment on that. Overall, it was a very good experience and would definitely consider adding this hotel to my short list of good places to stay in Kalamazoo!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank seela

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Booked this hotel at the last minute while traveling through MI as we weren't sure how far we'd drive that day. Thought it had a pool but it didn't-my fault for not checking closely. Stayed one night. Room was small but adequate. Was clean and bed comfortable. The desk lamp had an outlet on it for plugging in a computer. Only after my battery was nearly drained was it apparent that that outlet didn't work. To plug in the computer one had to unplug the lamp to use the wall outlet-not so great after dark. Ice machine on our floor also did not work. Free breakfast-opened jam packet and it was like congealed glue-yuk! Tub drained slowly.

All issues were told to management when we checked out. He did not seem to be surprised about the desk lamp. The "repair" to the ice machine was an "out of order" sign. Said the jam was freshly delivered (then he's getting a bum deal from his supplier!).

Stay wasn't awful but won't be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alle
Cleveland
Reviewed 10 July 2011

This hotel is decent, with not too much to really like, but not too much to dislike either. The room was quiet, despite being filled with high school kids for a field hockey tournament. The bed was good and the bathroom good, though the sink is outside the main bathroom, something I really dislike.
Two squabbles: there were two large "waves" in the carpet due to very sloppy installation, and there was a a Skittles wrapper and a napkin stuck behind the nightstand; found that little surprise when I dropped some change back there. Room comes with a mini-fridge, which is a nice touch. Free internet.
This hotel does not have a fitness room, but being a guest there allows you access to a an excellent and very large fitness center literally next door, free of charge.
There is a complimentary breakfast, but the small area was so cramped with people in the morning - and no place to sit - that I passed.
I paid $56 for this room on Hotwire, which seems kind of high for a hotel of this caliber on Hotwire, especially for Kalamazoo, which I don't think of as a hotbed tourist destination: perhaps that is WHY it is expensive.
You could do worse. Or you could do better.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank kabbagehead
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 June 2011

I stayed at this same hotel two years ago. At that time I stated that though the rooms were in good repair, the lobby was very sad and worn out. I won this hotel on Priceline, just as I had 2 years ago, for a 2 night stay on business.

This time, I am happy to report that the property has undergone a complete renovation. The lobby is now new looking, cheerful, and well maintained. Unlike before, each room now has a microwave and refrigerator. I found my room to be spacious, well decorated, and all elements in good condition. The bathroom had a very large granite countertop, with ample room. The entire hotel is now non-smoking.

Breakfast contained 4 hot items (eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, and waffles) as well as the usual cold selections, like cereals and breads.

Staff were pleasant and efficient. At some chains Priceline customers are treated with disdain. Not here. I was treated respectfully by all the staff I encountered. I had absolutely no complaints about my stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank linnea56
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 9 May 2011

The manager was very easy to talk to and gave a great monthly rate . The desk attendants were friendly and helpful with maps and information about the local area. It was a pleasant stay. I would stay again without a second thought.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank stadiumdrive
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2011

We booked the Baymont Inn and Suites as a stopover for 1 night en route to Chicago. We did our booking through Priceline and received a good rate.

We arrived around midnight and were assigned room 420 which is a room with 2 double beds. The room looked seemingly clean and comfortable. We had a quick shower and went to bed.

I awoke in the early morning with a very itchy neck. I looked in the mirror and saw 2 red bumps. I went back to bed thinking nothing of it. The next day around noon, I had full blown bites on my shoulders, arms and hands. They were extremely itchy and puffy. The bite patterns seemed consistent with bed bug bites.

I'm a seasoned traveller so I wasn't too concerned about the bites. I just didn't want to transport any of those nasty buggers home with me. My travel partner who slept in the other bed was fine. No bugs in his bed!

Aside from the bed bugs, the bed really wasn't all that comfortable. The pillows were very soft and flat.

The hotel does provide a free breakfast in the morning which is a nice consolation since I had been a meal for bed bugs the previous night. Breakfast is not too fancy - cold cereals, make your own waffles, scrambled "eggs" and sausage, hot coffee, juices and tea.

Wished I would have bid a little higher on Priceline to get a different hotel. I had a very itchy, scratchy weekend in Chicago.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellerGal
jay1200311, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, 6 May 2011
I would like to apologize to this guest for the experience they encountered. We did take all the proper steps to check this room for bed bugs and nothing was found in the room. I am not saying this was a false accusation but when we checked the room there were no signs of bed bugs. We have a very efficient pest control program in place and we do take every accusation of pest problems very seriously and we will continue to monitor this room to make sure no further problems occur. Thank you for your input on our hotel and I would ask that you give us another chance to serve you again in the future.

Jay Gladstone
General Manager Baymont Inn Kalamazoo
Tempe
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We were staying a week this visit so we needed a less expensive place than our regular long weekend hotel - Staybridge.
Room layout was nice, enough space to move around. Nice refrigerator with all the space we needed.
The price was great but there were some negatives. Towels were changed but the bathroom was not cleaned the whole time we were there. Tissues ran out the second day and were not replaced even though the empty box was left out.
Water damage on the wall and ceiling.
Worn out linens that you could see through.
For the price I really can't complain too much.

• Stayed April 2011