“average, needs updating”

Staybridge Suites Grand Rapids/Kentwood
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Kentwood
Reviewed 4 November 2016

Nothing stands out about the place, except the helpful staff. They do have ariport shuttle.
I noticed the bathroom light (where tub was) was too dim - mentioned it on my way out. The thermostat on the wall was not always responsive - looks pretty old. The chair seemed a bit old or not modern. The pine scented refreshner in the room was too strong – had to open the windows. Windows a bit too thin – heard too much outside sound. There's a Panera 2 blocks away.

Room Tip: top floor, any side since not near busy street
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
GuestServices616, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Grand Rapids/Kentwood, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2016

Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and share your recent experience with us. We value your feedback and appreciate your kind words regarding our amazing staff. I do understand that some things on our property could use some updating and we have plans for delivering our guests with a very fresh and new product in the near future. The next time you are in the Grand Rapids area we hope to see you again!

Todd

Reviewed 5 October 2016

As an IHG Spire Elite Rewards Member, and an independent business person, I book and stay at IHG properties because I usually know that I can expect clean and functional accommodations and great service.
Unfortunately that wasn't the case here at the Staybridge Suites, Grand Rapids - Kentwood, MI. This property is tired, as evidenced by the worn out upholstery in the rooms, the state of disrepair and non-operating appliances, the sticky counter tops and dirty bathtubs in the rooms. As a small business owner and consultant, I cover my own lodging expenses, so when I made a choice to spend over ten thousand dollars to domicile my wife and I here for over one hundred days, I did not anticipate being dismissed and blown off when I made a request to have a damaged dishwasher repaired or replaced with a unit from another room at the hotel. The second day at the property I made the front desk associate, Louis, aware of a problem I had with the dishwasher and was told "someone" would check it out. A week later I made a second request, Todd, the front desk person said that the problem wasn't that big of deal, and that the unit would work fine with the defective part. My third request was with a young lady named Sydney, and she sent the on call maintenance man to the room moments later. The maintenance person informed me it was broke, and that I could change rooms. I explained to the maintenance man that with the 7 day a week schedule that my wife and I were on until Christmas Eve, I didn't have the time to take the three hours we were looking at to move to another suite, at which point he said he could exchange the dishwasher. (It would take less time to exchange the appliance than it would take my wife and I to pack the two bedroom unit we were in, and move).
The next morning I stopped by the front desk and let Todd know what was said by maintenance the previous night and to confirm that, finally, after chasing the solution with three requests, and almost two weeks of waiting, I was happy it was handled. Todd informed me he'd have to look into that and call me later that morning. I left feeling somewhat confused, I had been told by the person who, presumably, was going to do the repair / exchange, that this was going to happen. A couple of hours later Todd did call and suggested I move rooms, at which point I explained my schedule, lack of time to spend three hours making the move, reiterated the fact that I was spending over ten thousand dollars out of pocket to stay there, and Oh yeah, I'm a SpIre Elite IHG Rewards member and expected better service from the mgmt. at an IHG property. I informed Todd that were I and my wife to spend the time to pack up and move, it wouldn't be to another room at that property, and that I was going to talk to my wife and get back with him. I promptly searched for other accommodations, found a corporate furnished apartment in the same zip code less than five minutes away, and met my wife there to look at the property and ultimately sign a lease to move in the next night. Upon returning to work and calling the hotel to inform Todd of our decision, I was told by Louis that they were just discussing calling me to let me know they had in fact swapped the dishwasher out with another unit.
I arrived at the hotel that evening and, to top off this whole customer service debacle, my room door was unlocked and standing open with all of the electronics and personal belongings that we had in the room.
So the next day my wife and I cut our day short to come back to the hotel and spend the three hours it took to pack up and move out of this hotel in the pouring rain.
I know it's a long review, however, the time it took to read this is less than the time it will take to deal with the extreme disappointment of being a guest at this property.
Obviously, I will consider my lodging options before trusting the consistency and quality that I've come to expect from a property operating under the IHG banner.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
4  Thank drknmt
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Grand Rapids/Kentwood, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2016

Dear drknmt,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite member and for taking the time to share your detailed review of your stay. We value each feedback as this will allow us identify the areas that may benefit from our additional attention. It is disheartening to know that your experience was not as pleasant as it should have been. This is not the customer service we endeavor to deliver our guests and for that, we are truly sorry. We would like to look into this further, thus we sent you a private message to help us get additional information regarding this event.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to hear from you soon.

Christian C.

Reviewed 30 September 2016

This is not one of the newer Staybridge Suites hotels and the furnishings, as well as areas in the common areas, especially the elevator, are showing wear and tear. I was upgraded to a two bedroom suite which provided so much space I felt like I was at home. Although the bedrooms were smaller than the average hotel room, the common area between the two bedrooms was spacious and more than made up for the lack of space in the bedrooms. The staff were friendly and hospitable. The my rooms were clean. The size of the flat panel televisions were OK for the bedrooms, but a bit small for the area in between the bedrooms. The selection of television stations was not impressive. The tables, chairs, and sofa showed signs of wear and tear. I experienced intermittent connection problems every evening with the free Wi-Fi. The free breakfasts and dinners were OK. The air conditioner was central air and not window units so it was quiet and it worked great. The hotel is less than a ten minute drive from the airport and there are plenty of restaurants close by.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank BVDPA
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Grand Rapids/Kentwood, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2016

Dear BVDPA,

Thank you for writing a review on our hotel. Our goal is to deliver exceptional service and superior accommodation to all of our guests and we appreciate your business with us. I am glad to read that you were satisfied with the cleanliness of the room received and acknowledge the great service received from our staff. However, it is regrettable that the condition of the elevator and the space of the room received may have caused you inconvenience. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve the quality of our amenities and facilities we offer. Rest assured these concerns will be forwarded to the hotel management for evaluation and will be a basis for future upgrade.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope we get the opportunity to show you some of the improvements on your next trip.

Grace P.

Reviewed 23 September 2016 via mobile

Room was clean and staff were friendly. Bathroom needs more light. Ac did not cool the room at all after running all night long making for a hot night. The gym is really bad- 1 old elliptical with a broken arm. crammed in a corner behind a universal weight machine and two treadmills.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Grand Rapids/Kentwood, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2016

Dear Betsy N,

Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to share your comments. We are glad to know that you found our rooms to be clean and staff to be friendly. However, we apologize for some sub par experiences, particularly with the air conditioning of the room, lighting conditions, and gym facilities. Rest assured that this will be shared with our management to ensure that appropriate actions will be taken in an aim to provide you, our guest with the best accommodation and services.

While we understand your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we sincerely hope to get another chance to give you a better experience on your next visit.

Christian C.

Reviewed 21 August 2016

We stayed here for a night while driving across the state and were pleasantly surprised at what I'd assumed were just suites aimed at people staying on business.

The two room suite was great - really spacious with a kitchenette area (which we didn't use). The beds were comfortable and it was nice to put the kids to bed in one room and watch tv in the other!

We'd arrived relatively late and there wasn't loads of parking available due to some of the huge vehicles outside the hotel, although we did manage to find a space after driving right around the building. The welcome from the staff was warm and the breakfast offered a good choice of cooked food and baked goods.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
GuestServices616, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Grand Rapids/Kentwood, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2016

BexleyStuart,
We are SO happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Please, if you are ever in the area again, pay us a visit! We would love to see you!
-Staybridge

Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

This hotel is awesome! The staff is very friendly. We had a two bedroom suite. Plenty of room for 5. The kitchenette was great as well with a full size fridge and stove. We stayed 6 nights. My daughter and friend were at a basketball camp all week and the rest of us lounged around the beautiful outdoor pool. The staff recommended some beaches to go to and were only a short drive away so we did and was great. The evening receptions were great as well. All you can eat buffet Monday through Wednesday. The food was very good. Breakfast every morning was fabulous. We did not use the fitness room or laundry room though both were very clean and well maintained from a visual perspective . I give this hotel 5 stars and will definitely be back next year. Close to many restaurants and shopping malls too..

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family

Brian,
What kind words! We so appreciate everything you said and are very happy that you enjoyed your stay! It's great to hear that you'll be back, we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 17 May 2016

Had a 3 night stay with a first floor room located near the elevator. Usually a noisy location but the noise wasn't coming from the hall but from the floor above. If you are a light sleeper you won't be happy. Check in went smoothly and breakfast was fine, no issues with staff. The wireless signal dropped constantly - ended up using my personal hotspot to avoid the aggravation.

Room Tip: If you have the option get a room on the top floor and you shouldn't hear footsteps above you.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
GuestServices616, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Grand Rapids/Kentwood, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2016

Thank you for your sincere review, abjphoto! We appreciate the feedback, and are looking into the issues experienced during your stay. Customer service is out number one goal, and rest assured we will work to correct these issues. We hope you will give us another chance in the future and look forward to welcoming you back.

Staybridge Suites Staff

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kentwood
0.6 km away
12 km away
Comfort Suites South
Comfort Suites South
#21 of 49 in Grand Rapids

Been to Staybridge Suites Grand Rapids/Kentwood? Share your experiences!