“Quaint, truly lakeside, affordable”
Review of Lakeside Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lakeside
Lakeside Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakeside
Reviewed 8 June 2017

We needed an inexpensive place to spend a night as we passed through the area, but couldn't find decent lodging with acceptable reviews. When I saw Lakeside Inn on Tripadvisor, it fit all the qualifications: not pricey, nice, quiet, safe location, and actually on the lake! It has lots of 1920's character, not 2017 modernity, which is part of its charm. The walk to and along the beach is perfect. Our room was small, old fashioned, but perfectly fine for the night. Check prices of lakeside hotels; they are very expensive! We are so glad we chose Lakeside Inn and enjoyed its charm and the weekend continental breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1981dalat

Reviewed 18 May 2017

First visit this season of maybe five to date. We have great affection for this place: going to the lake to sit, drink wine, and watch the sun set...return to the fire place and allow its glow to warm us too. And the staff (especially Andy) are so warm and informative. So for the specialness of the place, I'd give it five stars.

On the other hand...maybe like visiting that old aunt...the place is very plain and bit dowdy. (It's very CLEAN...just a little aging. Which is kind of what you're coming for.) Quiet when it's empty, but if you get a room near stair entryway, you'll hear others come and go. And the bed hardware in most rooms we've stayed in isn't particularly tight, so you might find the noise that creates off-putting if you'd wanted this for a romantic spot.

Still worth going, especially when they're in the off-season and have a two night for one deal...at $135 for two nights, I'm happy to visit again and again.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jaz79h
Reviewed 15 May 2017

Reasonably priced..right across from Lake Michigan...pleasant continental breakfast...Inn recently renovated..lovely attention to detail...airy and bright with a splendid outdoor porch with rocking chairs...

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2017

Kudos to all of the staff for keeping a historic inn on the map! I am grateful once again. Last week was my fifth stay at Lakeside Inn. We were welcomed warmly and made to feel at home by the fireplace, on the classic porch, and other common spaces. My room was clean, basic, and comfortable. I am accepting of a small bathroom and appreciate that each room has its own character. The room decor is cottage style. If you want help in choosing a room suitable for your needs I suggest phoning the inn. When I did this there was lots of specificity and candor about each room, the pro's and con's.
Lake Michigan beach is right across the narrow, quiet street from the inn! I love the many stairs going down the bluff. However, if it's too much for some people, a brief drive to Union Pier makes it possible to access the beach with more ease. At the Lakeside Inn, once the trees have leafed out, the lake view would be obstructed but you'd still hear the sound of the waves. This inn is particularly accommodating for family or friends gathering and wanting common spaces to hang out together. it's also great for a couple's get-away.

Room Tip: Call the Inn! They will help you select a room based on your priorities: view, quietness, spaciousn...
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank marshmarigold
Reviewed 21 March 2017

We made an off-season visit...our second visit to Lakeside Inn from Chicago this year.

The Inn is a historic inn restored to the style and decor of the 1920's. It has a private beach and a fantastic porch with rocking chairs and swings, as well as a great lobby. Plan to sit and relax a while.

Rooms are comfy, but they are not all the same. You want to read descriptions careful and ask some questions when you book to get the best room for you. I would say this is not a luxury destination, but it a highly unique and interesting one and well worth the trip. We met so many interesting people during both of our stays and I know we will go back for years to come. For the record and in response to the previous review, my young son loves the leaves that fall from the mature leaves at Lakeside and I am not the slightest bit offended by the Christmas lights up outside year round. This place is so real and such a pleasure to visit.

Room Tip: For quiet, pick a third floor or a room at the end of the halls away from the stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Lorie D
Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

We love the SW Michigan area.
It's an easy drive from Chicago - only 90 minutes or so depending where you start.
Stayed Thanksgiving weekend because they have a decent 2 for 1 special. The special runs all non-summer season. The inn was about half full. It contained overflow from families that were celebrating the holiday in the nearby beach homes and a few couples on getaway weekends.

Overall I was not impressed. Well comfortable; the Inn was well worn and needed through cleaning and some repairs. Additionally I can't understand why they leave mattresses setting out in what is part of the main dining room. Dirt and sand that I noticed when we arrived was still there when we left two days later.

The big porch has some great chairs to sit and enjoy the lake view, however you have to trample through piles of fallen leaves just to climb the stairs. Christmas lights that never came on also hung on the porch; it appears they were just left from one of the many seasons before.

The interior has an Adirondack feel and a mashup of old and strange decorative items. Some fit in great, some were out of place and some didn't belong at all and should be tossed away.

The grand fireplace is a great place to spend time and join your fellow travelers. The nights we stayed there seem to be some fireplace hogs who constantly saved their place by leaving books and computers on most of the chairs while they were gone. Frustrating.

The rooms themselves were just OK. Again a mash up of unrelated items and a sink that looked like it came from a salvage yard. The room had a very Spartan look and feel with towels straight out of the 50s.
You could hear the hall noises as if the doors were not shut. The bed was sufficient but not overly comfortable.

My recommendations:
The place needs a thorough cleaning.
If you want someplace on the cheaper end; this should suffice.
If you're looking for a nice romantic couples getaway weekend, go someplace else.
I'll give it C-

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Todd C
Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

If you are looking for luxury accommodations this place is not for you!! But if you are looking for a quiet retreat from technology this place is perfect for annual couples weekend. Staff is wonderful

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mjal1012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeside
8.4 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites New Buffalo
8.5 km away
Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo
8.5 km away
Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo

Been to Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!