“The Best Hotel in Town!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Iroquois
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Ocala, Florida
“The Best Hotel in Town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Great restaurant, beautiful location, close to everything in downtown Mackinac Island. It's this or the Inn at Stonecliffe (which is about two miles out of town near the little airport) for the best of the best on the Island.

Room Tip: Book the big room on the third floow - west side of building overlooking the bridge - you won't...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank John_Goodspeed

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Flushing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We travel to the island for 4 days every summer for a medical conference. The conference is at the Grand Hotel, but we choose to stay at the Iroguois and my husband walks to the Grand for the conference. We enjoy it every year and always look forward to returning.

ROOMS We have always booked a balcony room and loved it. They are on the first floor and face the park and the water. I love doing yoga on the balcony in the morning and reading there later in the day. The beds are VERY comfortable and the rooms themselves are adorable. There is turndown service in the evening and housekeeping is always spot on. Bathrooms are basic, but this is a historic building and was built long before huge bathrooms became a priority to travelers.

LOCATION The hotel is at the very end of the main drag and we like the location very much. It is near most everything and I love to stroll down main street to visit shops or get a bite.

FOOD We like the lounge here as you can sit outside and have a few drinks and watch the ferries come in. The location is wonderful. We have never had anything off of the menu that wasn't good or great.

PRICE The rooms and the food are pricey here. For us, there is just something wonderful about the Iroquois that keeps us coming back even though the price is toward the higher end.

Room Tip: We have stayed in room 105 a few times and love it. It is a balcony room. No elevator, so plan for...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
8 Thank MichiganKimberly
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

My husband and I, along with another couple, stayed at The Hotel Iroquois in mid October, 2011, just before everything closed for the season. Because there were two couples, we were fortunate to be able to stay in the Lighthouse Suite. It was so beautiful! There were two large bedrooms and baths (one with a whirlpool tub), a large sitting room and an adequate kitchen. The bedroom without the whirlpool tub, made it up by having a small balcony. There were large windows in each room with a fantastic view of the lighthouses and the water in all directions

We were disappointed that the restaurant was closed for the season. It looked like a great place to eat. However, we found other places to sample, and weren't unhappy about that.
Almost everything is within walking distance, and the carriage ride is a great way to see the rest of the island.

We were so glad that we chose The Hotel Iroquois over The Grand, and would stay there again if we ever return to Macinac Island. Our impression of The Grand was that it is showing it's age, and is greatly overpriced, but be sure to go for a meal or cocktails just to eperience a little of how life was in another era.

Room Tip: No elevator Higher floors have less street noise No toaster oven or microwave in kitchenette Very...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank twiggycat22
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

We were greeted at the Hotel Iroquois with an unexpected room upgrade. How lovely! Our luggage was immediately carried to our room - without us having to ask. We were greeted with smiles and charm. The hotel was warm and friendly. It is decorated very elegantly, but still maintains a homey atmosphere. It is located right next to the water, with a beautiful yards (both in front of and next to) the hotel. There is also a flower garden of Master Gardener Status on the other side of the hotel with benches and archways inviting a stroll.
My husband and I had an exceptional stay and will be back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank juliehauck
West Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Iroquois with family at the end of July 2011. Let me first say that the rooms are beautiful and very good size for an historic hotel. The staff was very nice and accommodating. We had one room on the first floor for our elderly family members (no elevator) and one room on the 3rd floor. Both rooms had great views--the 3rd floor room took my breath away every time I walked in to see the wall of windows looking over the Strait. The first floor room had a large deck which was a very nice spot to gather and comfortable for the 6 people we had. Be aware though that there isn't AC, it was a bit warm for sleeping in July even with the windows open, but they do provide fans.

They serve a nice continental breakfast in the morning as well. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant, it is quite pricy, but have eaten there on past trips and the food was good and you cannot beat the view.
One other testament to their customer service was that when I realized upon returning home that I had left a dress and shirt in the closet I called and they had set it aside for me and I was able to have them UPS it to me-it was such a relief because I know if larger hotels it would have been gone forever!

As far as location goes it is close to lots of shops and restaurants as well a ferry service (Sheplers I think) but is at one end so a bit of hike down to the fort and anything on that end of the island.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a room with a good view or with certain accomodations it would be best to cal...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jkfhope
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Hotel Iroquois on Mackinac Island in the end of July 2011 for my birthday. I don't recall our room number, but it was the final room on the right on the ground floor, and it was a junior suite. The room was very tastefully decorated, but what took our breath away was the two-leveled deck that the room had, with beautiful flowers and relaxing chairs to sit in while you watch the water and the day move at Mackinac Island speed. The restaurant was very good, as was the service whenever we needed it. The continental breakfast was extremely limited, and that was about the only thing we didn't care for here. A very intimate hotel experience, reminiscent of a New England B&B, with great character, great views, and attentive staff. May be a little overpriced, but summer time on Mackinac Island, Cape Cod, Maine, or any place like them will be that way.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TSKMKN29
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

My wife and I have enjoyed the Hotel Iroquois several times. The rooms are always clean and the service very good. I would however ask for a little bit better continental breakfast. It really is just coffee and fruit. At over $300 per day there should be a little bit more. As I said the service is excellent. As far as a quiet hotel, I realize it is very hard to have a quit hotel that is this old. The charm of it is its age, but the cost is squeaking floors and loud doors. I would recommend this hotel to my friends but warn them if the get a deluxe lake front room the rooms are a bit small but again charming.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple