“Small Rooms, but Great Atmosphere & Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Murray Hotel

Murray Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
NJ
“Small Rooms, but Great Atmosphere & Friendly Staff”
Reviewed 13 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Murray Hotel for one night in August. We booked last minute after finding that the hotel was offering 40% off the rack rate for the time we were visiting (right after school was back in session, but before Labor Day weekend).

Upon arriving on the ferry, we were greeted by a very nice gentleman who took our bags back to the hotel. Check-in was a breeze thanks to the helpful front desk employee, and we were given a room on the second floor overlooking Market Street. The room was extremely small--the door wouldn't actually open all the way because of the clothes rack hanging right behind it. Also, the bathroom is so small that the sink is actually in the room.

Though much smaller than we anticipated, the room and bathroom were both extremely clean. We did notice some noise from the street, but we turned on the air conditioner and that helped drown it out.

Before heading out for dinner, we headed outside to the sun deck and spa pool. The deck was filled with lots of beautiful plants and has plenty of room to relax. The pool isn't exactly a pool--it's more like an oversized hot tub, but it was still relaxing and very clean.

The hotel is in a great location and convenient to the shops and restaurants along Market Street, and the Victorian decor was quaint--my husband and I enjoyed looking at all the old pictures and photos on the walls. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Rooms facing Market Street can be a little noisy, but the view is good.
1 Thank hmorse9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Metro Detroit
Reviewed 31 August 2011

My expectations were to have a clean room with a decent bed & shower on the island at a good price. These expectations were met.

I was worried since some reviews said it was loud, bug infested and the A/C didn't work. This couldn't have been further from the truth. No bugs at all the A/C worked fine and it was relatively quiet (this could have been the time of year though).

What is true is that the rooms are incredibly small. The room we stayed in couldn't have been any more than 9X9 plus a "closet" for the shower and toilet. We were actually supposed to have an even smaller room, but got bumped to slightly larger once since it was not ready at 3pm check-in (so make sure to check in promptly at 3pm if you can).

The breakfast is ok for $3. The 2nd floor spa/pool deck is interesting, but I guess you can't take food out there.

It turned out to be a really good value since we booked last minute. So I would definitely consider coming here again.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly. When they offer a rate, ask if there are any discounts.
2 Thank EBounding
Wyandotte, Michigan
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Stayed at the Murray August 17 and 18, 2011. We were in room 306, top floor corner room looking over main street. Room was not overly big but good enough for the two of us. At nite you could hear the the music and hooten and howlering from the pink pony but it calmed down by 11 o'clock or so. We turned the air on and it drowned out the sound so it was no problem. We had breakfast each day at the hotel, if you were a registered guest you got the buffet for $3.00 which was worth it. There was eggs, saugage, pan cakes, toast, fruit, juice, coffee, tea and several other breakfast items. My fav. was the oatmeal. We did not eat any other meals there but the pizza did smell good. The price wasn't bad considering we were staying on the island, and we were right across the street from the boat so couldn't beat the location. To wake up each morning and look out the window and see the water was great. If we ever go back to stay on the Island, which I hope we will, I will diffently look at the Murray. If you want a nice place to stay and you want to be right in the heart of town, this is the place to go. Thank you to the staff for such an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: If you are a guest you get a discount on the fudge and pay only $3.00 for breakfast
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mymisfit
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We were able to take advantage of a hotel special running their rooms discounted for the month of August. It made the difference in us staying on the island vs. Mackinaw City and I am so happy it worked out for us to stay on the island!
Overall the place was clean - it is aged, but so is everything on the island! There was working AC in our room which I was very worried about. It was cooler the night we stayed but our AC worked. It would have probably been a little weak if the weather was super hot and it did not help diffuse the hot/moist air of our showers since there is no bath fan, but it kept us comfortable over night.
Our bath vanity light was a 2 light fixture and for whatever reason there was only one light bulb in it - I noticed when putting on my make up that the lighting was lacking, but never complained since we were pretty much in and out of the hotel to change and sleep and that was about it.
The bed was comfy and the tv worked, we watched a few minutes of the Discovery program on the Mackinaw bridge (must play over on the local channel). We were towards the front of the hotel overlooking the alley where the carriage tour hut is - we were only one unit back off the street (room 304) and didn't have any problems with noise.
All in all, I was a little reserved to stay on the island since everything looked so dated that was even remotely affordable - everything else was outrageously priced - but I am SO happy we did - it made the experience all the more. AND if we are so lucky to ever get the chance to go back, we would definitely stay at the Murray again - the location is AWESOME and the prices are even better!
The breakfast room did not look too amusing, so we chose to hit up Starbucks instead...but we heard the breakfast was hot and a good value.

1 Thank biz_e_b1984
Weston, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 August 2011

This was my second time staying on the island. Both times I have stayed at the Murray and have never been disappointed. The view is great. It is in a nice location and surprisingly you dont hear a lot from all the foot traffic. All the historic photos around the hotel are great. The staff has always been super friendly. I will definitely stay here again!

The only real complaint I have is it would be nice to have free WiFi for the price of the room.

1 Thank cgauss
Michigan
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel during the Lilac Festival. It was located in the heart of town and wonderful. A little old but most of Mackinac Island is old buildings.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelNorthernMich
Plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed 7 August 2011

My husband and I, along with two other couples stay at the Murray Hotel on Mackinac Island for three nights and we were all very pleased. The location was wonderful. It was right in the middle of the downtown. Across from the hotel was a really cool bar called the Pink Pony that was really popular at night time. The live music there was great! There was also a little grocery store a couple of doors down from the Murray. That was nice because you could pick up a bottle of wine and sit on the 2nd floor patio of the hotel and have cocktails before dinner.

There are all sorts of places on the island that sell fudge and I would say that the Murray's fudge was the best. I also kept hearing people say that as they were walking by the front of the hotel.

The rooms are VERY small, but the location and friendliness of the staff far outweighed that.

I would definitely recommend the Murray and I will book it the next time I go back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mackinac Island
#4 of 12 in Mackinac Island
Hotel Iroquois
Hotel Iroquois
#1 of 12 in Mackinac Island

Been to Murray Hotel? Share your experiences!