“Not a Good Experience This Time for Me”

The Yankee Rebel Tavern
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My husband and I were happy to come back to this restaurant after our wonderful (food and service) experience last time. I had a Pomegranate Mojito (good) and my husband had a Maker's Mark Orange Blossom, which he said wasn't as he remembered it from last time but he still liked it. He ordered a ribeye steak with caramelized onions, green beans/carrots and yukon gold potatoes. He enjoyed his dinner. I had looked at the menu on-line prior to coming to the restaurant and decided to order the Drambuie scallops. The menu said the scallops were "sauteed in Drambuie" so I was expecting them to be nicely seared. They were not, and the whole dish was covered in a sauce that I didn't care at all for. Plus the first, and second, scallops were full of grit so I left the rest on the plate. I took a couple bites of the risotto but it was too cheesy. I tried to eat a little of the green beans/carrots but they were covered in the sauce too so I just pushed the plate to the side.

Our server, Becky G, saw my plate pushed to the side and just took it away. Never asked what was wrong with it. I was a server myself for many years and if I had a customer that pushed a plate of mostly uneaten food to the side of the table I definitely would have asked what was wrong with it and either try to fix it, or offer to bring something else. She never bothered to do that.

I was glad my husband enjoyed his steak, as it was his 60th birthday we were celebrating. But I left a note for our server on the bottom of our credit card sip, something I had never, ever done before. And we won't be rushing back to eat here the next time we're on the island. Yankee Rebel Tavern had been our favorite place, but Cawthorne's has taken over that spot.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

We ate here the last night of our stay on the island. It's a cozy place, just right for a chilly night. The food was good, but the only thing that sticks out is the lack of meat in the pot pie. Service was good, but I don't think I'd return to this particular restaurant.

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

The Yankee Rebel Tavern is a Mackinac Island Classic. The Pistachio-crusted whitefish might be the best whitefish on the island. Amazing flavor. My wife got the blue cheese risotto balls with marinara and pesto and thought it was phenomenal.

Add in the friendly atmosphere and Yankee Rebel Tavern is a great choice.

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Block off Main Street. Booth, bar and table seating. Windy and cold here this week so seated by operating fireplace. Open until end of month. Good selection of pub food including whitefish, salmon, scallops, and walleye. The whitefish and walleye were well-prepared and fresh. Service was helpful and efficient. Nice selection of beer, wine, and mixed drinks. Did not have wine we initially chosen but server recommended a good substitute. Veggie sandwich and turkey wrap hit the spot. Finished with cream brule in thin custer bowl. $$$.

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

We had the scallops & the prime rib and were blown away! The risotto and vegetables were 10 and the scallops were in 11. The potatoes with the prime rib were delicious but left behind because the meat was out of this world. Casual atmosphere.