“Wow, what a nice hotel!”

Baymont Inn & Suites Mackinaw City
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Wow, what a nice hotel!”
Reviewed 20 October 2011

This is the epitome of a nice, family-owned hotel. Family-owned to me means that it's well cared for and maintained because the folks working here actually own the property. That's a nice change from some others that are owned by some random company that's only in it for the profit. Not so here. It's definitely where I'll stay when I return to this beautiful little town. Mackinaw City, MI was my stopping point for the evening and after reading some reviews I picked the Baymont Inn & Suites here and I couldn't have been happier. The young woman at the front desk was as nice as it gets and the gentleman who owns the hotel was there in the morning checking on folks in the breakfast room. What a NICE guy!

The room was spotless and solid. Everything worked perfectly and it's just solid, it really has a nice build quality to the hotel. Even my ever-nagging complaint about SLAMMING doors in other hotels didn't really apply here. The doors and walls and especially (what must be) concrete floors under the carpet were solid. There was no noise from the adjacent rooms next door, above, or below. Nice. It had a big 3-piece (toilet, tub/shower) separate bathroom and a sink and big vanity outside in the room, that's always appreciated. It had a hair dryer, some of the thickest towels I've seen in quite a while, lightening-quick wireless internet (one of the fastest I've ever had in a hotel), a very nice room heat/ac unit that you could actually leave just the fan on if you wanted some white noise, that's also a nice touch. Most of them now are automatic and they shut off once the desired room temperature is reached. It was pouring rain outside though and that provided the best "noise" possible (noise = soothing sound). The bed was 100% perfect for me, super comfortable with a nice duvet and sparkling clean and crisp sheets.

The breakfast was unusually good. I typically stay in a tier of hotel just below this brand to save my clients some money, but since it's the end of their season here I got the room for $60, that's a steal! It's a $100 room any day of the week and probably much more than that in the peak summer season in this beautiful spot. They had coffee/tea/juice/milk, and also yogurt, a ton of varieties of oatmeal, breads/muffins/french toast, etc. They also had hardboiled eggs! That's just what I'm looking for in the morning for some protein instead of loading up on carbs and then falling asleep at the wheel an hour later.. It was great and like everything else here, everything was spotless and as well-stocked as any hotel that I've ever stayed at.

They also have a great pool area and workout room and it's only a block or two from downtown with a ton of cool, local food and shopping places and great little locally-owned shops. This is the stopping point for folks that are going to Mackinac Island, made famous by the Grand Hotel. I can imagine that the summers here are super busy, but now it's as quiet as can be and some things are already closed for the year and this hotel is closing next week for the winter. There's a Burger King right next door if all else fails as far as restaurants being closed.

I can't recommend this great family-owned (family-owned to me means that it's very well maintained and cared for) hotel and I can't wait to return with my wife to see this super scenic town again. Thanks for your great service, Baymont Inn!

Room Tip: The floors are rock-solid here so there shouldn't be any noise from rooms above. Any floor shou...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
missouri
Reviewed 18 October 2011

This was a very pleasant place to stay! This hotel is close to shops,ferry and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Michigan
Reviewed 16 October 2011

This is our third stay at a Baymont Inn around the country and I've found all of them to be very clean and we love that they are "pet friendly!" This location is no different--the rooms are very clean and as others have said you can walk everywhere. It can be difficult to find places to bring our dogs, but Baymont is wonderful for only $10 extra a night. This was also by far the most reasonable room rate around. The front desk staff was terrific and the breakfast is good with lots of choices. Everyone was pleasant and helpful! My one and only complaint is that on our second day we went shopping in the morning and returned at noon to find our room hadn't been cleaned yet. Luckily the weather was great so we sat outside in a park until after 2pm and yet the room was just being completed. It's a minor complaint, especially given the end of the season there may have been less staff, but it can be difficult if you need to come back to the room, especially with the dogs. This wouldn't prevent me from coming back in the future.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I stayed here on two different occasions during the 2011 season. Two nights over Memorial Day weekend and most recently one night the first weekend in Oct. Both stays were very nice. The front desk folks were very helpful and friendly each time. The property was clean and well kept. They take pride in the upkeep and it shows. I have stayed at many different motels in Mackinac and this is one I always come back to. The location is close enough to walk everywhere, the bike/hike trail basically starts next to this property. I printed off a $10 off coupon from their website and used that during my stay. Rooms are very spacious and bathrooms are more than adequate. Oh, and one reviewer commented on the "old" tv's...as of my October stay, my room had a new HD flatscreen version. Will always look to stay here first before anyplace else.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
BaymontMackinaw, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Mackinaw City, responded to this review, 15 October 2011
Thank you for your comment with regard to the hotel. The hotel closes October 22, 2011 for the season and we certainly like to hear that your experience has been enjoyable during your multiple stays. We also appreciate your patronage and love seeing our returning friends.
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed 7 October 2011

My wife and I have stayed at the Mackinaw City Baymont several times since 2004.
We have no complaints! The hotel is clean, excellent location to the sites of Mackinaw City.
Short walking distance to the mall, main street and island ferries.
The hotel staff are there to serve your every need. Very friendly and helpful.
Pool and hot tub very clean.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
BaymontMackinaw, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Mackinaw City, responded to this review, 15 October 2011
Thank you ! We enjoy hearing from our guests that have a great experience while visiting!
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 7 October 2011

My husband & I spent our honeymoon in a jacuzzi suite 10 yrs ago. It was such a nice experience, we booked the same room again 2 weeks ago. After 10 yrs, the hotel is still a 5 star. The entire experience was wonderful, starting with the clean lobby, very friendly desk clerk, & a room that was quiet, immaculate, & smelled very fresh. The rooms are modern & tastefully decorated....very comfortable. They also have a wonderful breakfast buffet. We even had fresh fudge waiting for us in our room with a nice note that congratulated us on our 10th Anniversary from the entire staff. The hotel is conveniently located off I-75 for an easy off/easy on. We will go back. BTW....I am VERY fussy, & a clean freak :)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to write a comment on TripAdvisor with regard to the hotel. We appreciate your kind words and hope to see you again!
chicago
Reviewed 6 October 2011

The hotel and the rooms are very clean. Beds are ok, but are not very soft. Room was a nice size. There is no refrigerator or microwave or safe in the room. There is a breakfast offered with cereal, waffles, hard-boiled eggs and some pastries. Staff are pleasant and helpful. The business center is just a computer that you have to stand up to use in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comment on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your choosing the Baymont Mackinaw and hope to see you again next season.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mackinaw City