“Group Trip” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Apache Junction, Arizona
“Group Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

I was on a bus trip and arrived on 8/29/11. I had e-mailed Kelly and she was supposed to try to get an upgrade since I had some back problems and did have a Wyndham Rewards card. Never saw her or heard from her at arrival although she said she would make every effort. The room was okay but not great...no fridge or micro...did not care about the TV. As most people have commented, the breakfast room was not adequate for the amount of people there. However, since I usually had just one hard boiled egg and a piece of toast or half a bagel, it was okay. Since we were on a bus trip, there was no problem with parking or anything else, but I do feel that as a Wyndham Rewards member I should have been treated better (even though I was a part of a package trip).

Room Tip: Have no idea since I was not given a choice although I requested an upgrade.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Waterville, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

At the end of their open-season (middle of October, which meant particularly great rates!) my husband and I stayed here--our fourth visit to this hotel since 2010. Earlier comments complained about the old TVs. It seems they've started updated them as our room had a flat screen TV. It would be nice, as this upgrade continues if they considered putting DVD players or buying the TVs with included DVD players. Sometimes we bring movies or CDs with us that would be nice to be able to play.

My husband has pet allergies, and we included this on room preferences and were told the pets only stay with people on the first floor. So our stay was wonderful and pet dander free on a higher floor.

2 Thank kcrogs
Bloomington, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

We stayed here one night to take the ferry to Mackinac island. The front desk staff person was very friendly and helpful in getting us to the ferry. The hotel was very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was fine. Acceptance of our small pet was wonderful.

Mt Pleasant
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

Location excellent for any location downtown. Rooms large, clean. Rate very reasonable. Ample parking. Assistance with very good continental breakfast

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Diane S
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

This is the epitome of a nice, family-owned hotel. Family-owned to me means that it's well cared for and maintained because the folks working here actually own the property. That's a nice change from some others that are owned by some random company that's only in it for the profit. Not so here. It's definitely where I'll stay when I return to this beautiful little town. Mackinaw City, MI was my stopping point for the evening and after reading some reviews I picked the Baymont Inn & Suites here and I couldn't have been happier. The young woman at the front desk was as nice as it gets and the gentleman who owns the hotel was there in the morning checking on folks in the breakfast room. What a NICE guy!

The room was spotless and solid. Everything worked perfectly and it's just solid, it really has a nice build quality to the hotel. Even my ever-nagging complaint about SLAMMING doors in other hotels didn't really apply here. The doors and walls and especially (what must be) concrete floors under the carpet were solid. There was no noise from the adjacent rooms next door, above, or below. Nice. It had a big 3-piece (toilet, tub/shower) separate bathroom and a sink and big vanity outside in the room, that's always appreciated. It had a hair dryer, some of the thickest towels I've seen in quite a while, lightening-quick wireless internet (one of the fastest I've ever had in a hotel), a very nice room heat/ac unit that you could actually leave just the fan on if you wanted some white noise, that's also a nice touch. Most of them now are automatic and they shut off once the desired room temperature is reached. It was pouring rain outside though and that provided the best "noise" possible (noise = soothing sound). The bed was 100% perfect for me, super comfortable with a nice duvet and sparkling clean and crisp sheets.

The breakfast was unusually good. I typically stay in a tier of hotel just below this brand to save my clients some money, but since it's the end of their season here I got the room for $60, that's a steal! It's a $100 room any day of the week and probably much more than that in the peak summer season in this beautiful spot. They had coffee/tea/juice/milk, and also yogurt, a ton of varieties of oatmeal, breads/muffins/french toast, etc. They also had hardboiled eggs! That's just what I'm looking for in the morning for some protein instead of loading up on carbs and then falling asleep at the wheel an hour later.. It was great and like everything else here, everything was spotless and as well-stocked as any hotel that I've ever stayed at.

They also have a great pool area and workout room and it's only a block or two from downtown with a ton of cool, local food and shopping places and great little locally-owned shops. This is the stopping point for folks that are going to Mackinac Island, made famous by the Grand Hotel. I can imagine that the summers here are super busy, but now it's as quiet as can be and some things are already closed for the year and this hotel is closing next week for the winter. There's a Burger King right next door if all else fails as far as restaurants being closed.

I can't recommend this great family-owned (family-owned to me means that it's very well maintained and cared for) hotel and I can't wait to return with my wife to see this super scenic town again. Thanks for your great service, Baymont Inn!

Room Tip: The floors are rock-solid here so there shouldn't be any noise from rooms above. Any floor shou...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank ScottyG777
missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

This was a very pleasant place to stay! This hotel is close to shops,ferry and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank treeline
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

This is our third stay at a Baymont Inn around the country and I've found all of them to be very clean and we love that they are "pet friendly!" This location is no different--the rooms are very clean and as others have said you can walk everywhere. It can be difficult to find places to bring our dogs, but Baymont is wonderful for only $10 extra a night. This was also by far the most reasonable room rate around. The front desk staff was terrific and the breakfast is good with lots of choices. Everyone was pleasant and helpful! My one and only complaint is that on our second day we went shopping in the morning and returned at noon to find our room hadn't been cleaned yet. Luckily the weather was great so we sat outside in a park until after 2pm and yet the room was just being completed. It's a minor complaint, especially given the end of the season there may have been less staff, but it can be difficult if you need to come back to the room, especially with the dogs. This wouldn't prevent me from coming back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mackinaw City
1.1 km away
Thunderbird Inn
Thunderbird Inn
#13 of 39 in Mackinaw City

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Mackinaw City? Share your experiences!