“Very disappointing.”

Bayside Hotel of Mackinaw
Reviewed 16 July 2017

We saw an ad that stated brand new on 2017. We had reserved 2 rooms. We arrive and find it was a very old hotel and not kept up very well. After the first night, we return to our room at 9:30pm to find out they didn't clean it. The other room, the towels were picked up, the beds were left un made and the bathroom was dirty. The front desk gave me fresh towels and stated that the cleaning people marked it cleaned when actually it wasn't. Breakfast wasn't great. Ran out of orange juice at 7:30am and never refilled it. Very disappointed with this place.

Reviewed 16 July 2017

I booked our room online, and got a package deal which included the Mackinaw Island Carriage tour and Butterfly House. When we checked in, we were charged for our room, but nothing was said about the package. I guess it was partly my fault for not asking about it, but since it was listed on my printout we assumed that we just took that to the island to get our tickets for the prices that were quoted. When we got to the island, and went to the ticket counter we were told no, the hotel was supposed to provide us with the tickets, because they have a contract. Luckily I hadn't prepaid for them, as they wouldn't honor anything, and we had to purchase our tickets. There wasn't really much of a price difference, so it wasn't a big deal, but it was just the idea that we thought we were getting a package, and the hotel staff apparently didn't know about it. The girl at the front desk was not very friendly, and gave us no information about anything. She did mention the times for breakfast, but didn't inform us that it wasn't served in the breakfast room that is in the lobby. We found out later that it was served in the hotel next door. (The two hotels are connected by a very long series of hallways!) Nothing at all was mentioned about a pool, water park, etc, which were also in the other hotel. Our room was ok, it had a refrigerator, and was clean. The beds were so hard though that I had trouble sleeping the first night. On the second night I put one of the pillows under my leg to cushion it. (I have fibromyalgia, and the hard bed made it very painful to sleep.) We did use the hot tub, once we followed all of the signs to find it, and it was nice, and very large, but it closes at 10:00 pm. The room was very loud, with the water park feature, but it was nice. The proximity to the Starline boat dock was perfect, right across the road. The price of the hotel was reasonable, and our stay wasn't bad, it was just a bit misleading to say they offer all of these things, but don't tell you that you have to walk through a maze of hallways to find them. The front desk staff also need a bit of training in being friendly and informative! I would probably check around and stay somewhere else next time.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Booked this hotel second time while visiting the island . The location is good and hotel rooms were neat and clean. Breakfast area was busy but its a good add-on for the stay . Would definitely refer it to all who are visiting Mackinaw/island,

Room Tip: rooms with 2 Queen beds are good.
Reviewed 10 July 2017

Bayside Hotel is in a very convenient location, it is clean, the staff is excellent, the breakfast area and the food is very nice, and the waterpark is sooo much fun! Plus there is an arcade and gym. It also has a laundry room which was very nice because we had camped before our stay. We stay at this hotel every year and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I don't think it's necessary to get a Lakeview room, I'd recommend closer to breakfast a...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2017

It's a basic hotel, nothing super fancy, but perfect for a night or two. Has a great pool/water play area indoors, though it's quite warm. Breakfast was average, but the staff was very friendly. We wound up in an accessible King size room on the first floor. Had a mini fridge. My parents were next door and also had a microwave- their room was a little nicer for some reason. It was clean, and everything we needed for a 1 night stay in Mackinac city after a day on the island. It's right across from the ferry and offers discounted rates, which is great. Husband watched the NBA finals on the tv.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

Positives: friendly front desk staff, close access to ferry, reasonable bargain
Negatives: beds older and hard, pillows not really comfortable. Breakfast was Atrocious!!! Food all over the floor, sticky table tops, gray-hued fruit, limited choices.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2017

I was terribly disappointed in this hotel! I had called and confirmed on Wednesday before the Saturday we checked in, only to have them call to see if we were coming! Then check In, I was told we each had to fill out a form for the water park next door, they share it, as with the breakfast, and I specifically asked if we needed to do any thing else to get into park, and they said no, what a lie, daughter had to go through hoops to get it threw their heads she was our granddaughter's mother and signature! Only to have water park close at 10:00 OK, then not open again til after checkout at noon, really, checkout is 11:00! Rooms a disaster! Had caramel corn on floor and we didn't have any caramel corn!! Black hairs in botn beds!no outlet cover over outlets, the bathroom ledge falling off, dust and dirt in corners, not a place I would recommend, sorry. The breakfast items were good, a hot breakfast bar shared by both hotels evidently. The halls were ungodly hot, house keeping left their tubs of towels and laundry in hallway. Asked if by chance I could get a cup of milk for our granddaughter to get to sleep, they acted like I asked for the moon, so walked next door to restaurant and they gave us a huge Cup for free! So sweet. I usually don't put negativity on here but it's not like what it says on its web page. They need desperately to upgrade the simple things!! And you could see out in hall way from the door frames!

Room Tip: They said they had free Wi-Fi but we couldn't connect, it had indoor little water park for kids...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family