“worst hotel ever experienced”

Knights Inn Mackinaw City
Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Jackson, MI
“worst hotel ever experienced”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Room appeared clean, but very much needing updating. Bathroom was very, very small. The internet was not working at all even though it is offered "free wi-fi". We went to speak to the manager and he seemed rather annoyed and replied, "I don't recall you asking about the internet and informed us we needed a user name and password." In most situations, a hotel clerk would write this down for a guest, but he gave it to me verbally to remember. After countless times of trying, we still never connected. The TV in our room wouldn't work at all and was all scrambled. Again spoke to the manager and his reply was " the housekeeper must have not checked it and he didn't know that it wasn't working." He further stated that he would have to wait for his wife to return home before he could look at it and for US to wiggle the cables. We walked out the office thinking that we were an inconvience to him. So after the wife came home she (who was nice and attempted to be accomodating) she couldn't get the internet or the TV to work. At this point we decided that we were going to attempt to find another room in the area. It was Friday night at 6:30 p.m. and I got on the phone with Choice Hotels and complained and they got us another, much nicer room in St. Ignace for the same price as this hotel.
I will never ever stay at this hotel again... Between the outdated non-working equipment, the uncaring attitude of the male manager, no chain locks on the doors and the noise of the freeway, this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Roseville, Michigan
Reviewed 22 May 2009

We stayed at this motel for one night. The owner, Dave, was nice. For a short stay, the room was perfect. The room was small and clean. The motel hasn't been updated (except for the carpet), so it's quite old. No hair dryer in the room, but there is a coffee maker. Nice restaurant next door....great for all three meals.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
toledo
Reviewed 26 July 2008

The hotel's location is very nice and you can see the foot of the bridge from your window as well as beautiful lilac bushes and a windmill.
I was shocked to find out that the part of the hotel we stayed in had two sliding glass doors and no solid exterior door. This was a real nightmare for us, as our 18-year-old son has severe autism and does not have the ability to keep himself safe.
I went to the front desk upon checking in and realizing we could never keep him safe in that room and explained the problem. After waiting for a group of people and their huge dog to be helped, I explained our situation. The man at the desk told me there was only one other room. I took the key to that room to go check it out while my husband was in the other one hanging onto my son so he could not get out.
The other room had one normal exterior door and one sliding door. There was a wasp in the room that I tried to kill so I could look over the room. It doesn't take long to look over the rooms, as they are very small.
Since we had already booked online and I wouldn't get my money back, we accepted the other room, but not happy about it. The wasp survived my attempt to kill it and my husband finally got it and then spent the next 20 minutes looking for the body on the floor. We had to rig up some clever ways to block my son from having access to the sliding door. I didn't sleep well worrying about it all.
There are no amenities to speak of, but the room was clean and there were no noisy guests. Don't plan on anything good to eat at their breakfast. It's not far from the ferry boat docks and is right by the lake. You can walk literally half a block and be at the waterfront where Lake Huron and Lake Michigan meet and walk right underneath the beautiful Mackinaw Bridge.
We had other family members who stayed in another room. I had booked their room for a rollaway bed. The man at the front desk asked if we REALLY needed it. We did! He brought it down later and it barely fit. You could barely squeeze through to get to the bathroom after it was unfolded.
It's not the place for you if you have someone with autism or another disability with you!!!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

colorado
Reviewed 28 June 2008

while clean, and employing a pleasant staff, this motel is extremely old and in dire need of an update. And for the price that they charge, they should be able to afford the upgrades that they need. The small chipped and cracked sink hung on the wall with a metal shelf mounted above it - I guess it was their idea of a vanity. The tub was so old, it was permanently stained. A drop ceiling is obviously in place to hide the other defects that I am sure are above it. Breakfast was bread - oh, you can toast it. My advice, pay more and get a whole lot more bang for your buck somewhere else.

• Liked — location was convenient
  • Disliked — extremely old and obviously not even interested in basic upkeep
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 June 2008

We stayed on a Friday night. Had no reservation, was given a room immediately. Friendly owner. We were on a motorcycle. Asked for some older towels to clean the cycle. Owner was very helpful.

Only glitch we had was the a/c in the room was not working properly. The room was clean. Great value. Would recommend this facility.

• Liked — price,value
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
New Hampshire
Reviewed 22 May 2007

Nice clean hotel for a very fair price on a Wednesday night.
Honored a AAA discount after quoting standard room rate.
The owner operators are very friendly people. Even when we asked for extra pillows at 10 pm the service was givin with a smile .

-Paul from New Hampshire

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 April 2004

Old Hotel from the 60's. The motel has limited amenities, no pool and very small rooms. The noise from the adjacent freeway is very noisy.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, owner at Knights Inn Mackinaw City, responded to this review, 29 June 2004
We welcome all comments. This response was unusual for our Bronze Award property.We rate in the top 10% of the Econo Lodge brand and are AAA rated. This 32 room property is perfect for adult travelers. Having no pool makes a quiet property as our travelers can turn their lights out early.We have fresh, updated, cozy room interiors. We are located off exit 339, 600 feet from the park at the Mackinac Bridge. Join our frequent stay guests who come back because we care!