“Cozy, Nostalgic West Michigan”
Review of Old Channel Inn

Old Channel Inn
Ranked #4 of 13 Restaurants in Montague
Price range: US$10 - US$26
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 21, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I decided we needed a romantic evening out. We had never been to the Old Channel Inn before but so enjoyed the drive there. The views of the water, the copious deer visible in the woods as we drove in, and the winding route made us feel like we were headed back in time. Although there is still unusual snow for April in Michigan which kept us from being able to enjoy a walk down to Lake Michigan, we could see that in warmer weather, our trip to this restaurant will also include a romantic walk in the sugar sand of Lake Michigan. We entered OCI (Old Channel Inn) and immediately connected with the historic vibe. It was like walking into a cottage with informal tables, old books, knick -knacks, and pictures showing the history of this place. I was delighted with the unexpected fresh tulips on each table and the soft glow of candle light. The new owners were immediately attentive to our entrance and made us feel as though they’d been waiting all day for our arrival. But, this warm welcome was nothing compared to the unbelievable food! I had the London Broil, which is one of the most memorable meals I have had. Tender, succulent slices of marinated beef with a lovely brown gravy packed with flavor. My husband immediately fell in love with the immaculately maintained and well-stocked salad bar (only available on Friday and Saturday we were informed). He had the shrimp and steak and was impressed with the quality and value for the price. Our server was very knowledgeable and clearly had great emotional investment in this establishment. I had some lovely Chardonnay and I was told their wine selection will be increasing very soon. We finished with the most amazing bread pudding I’ve ever had. It was the perfect blend of warm, flavorful goodness with a contrasting blast of cold ice cream...I was transported back to simpler times when connecting with others was more important than anything else. We will definitely be back!!

Reviewed December 14, 2017 via mobile

We were late to dinner on Sunday but boy was it great. Pot roast, Swiss steak and ribs. Great service, great atmosphere. Can't wait to return.

Reviewed December 6, 2017

We haven't been here for a year or two and the ownership had changed. New owners were pleasant and the salad bar is still the best in the area. Service was good as usual and the food was very good. I had the perch and wife had the London broil. Good food and spirits. Nice spot on the lake shore worth the trip! See ya there

Reviewed November 15, 2017

If you are unfamiliar with this area, especially at night, you need good directions. Even our GPS was a little off.
This is a charming older building, with a good reputation in the area. In the fall of 2017, it has new owners, who are very welcoming. We came on a busy Friday night and the place was crowded, but we were seated soon enough. We were served by a competent and friendly middle aged gentleman.
Despite the crowd, we were served in a reasonable time. The atmosphere was rather cozy and friendly, and there seemed to be a number of local people present who knew each other.
The food was well prepared and delicious. I had the walleye, with Cajun cabbage as the vegetable. Had never heard of that before, so thought I would try it. It was tasty and not over seasoned. A good and pleasant evening. I would gladly return here.

1  Thank Tom Z
Reviewed October 28, 2017

Had not been there in years, so decided to try again. Food and prices ok. Service was awful. Very very slow and they were not even crowded and had plenty of servers.