“The worst hotel I've stayed in...and I'm not very picky!”
Review of Alger Falls Motel

Alger Falls Motel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Munising
Newark, Ohio
“The worst hotel I've stayed in...and I'm not very picky!”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My dad and I stayed here for a night last week. I was not expecting luxury, but this hotel was awful. It was reasonably clean, but that was about it. The furniture was very worn. The beds were incredibly uncomfortable and made a sound that resembled a certain bodily function when you turned over! The cabinent in the bathroom was so rough you could get splinters from it. What put this over-the-top was the discovery that the bathrrom curtains were made from used bath towels! Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LeighAnne_11
afmotel, Owner at Alger Falls Motel, responded to this review, 24 July 2011
WOW! I'm really surprised by this review. First of all, I would like to know which room you stayed in. Also, if you had issues, why didn't you voice them to us??? We do our best to make sure you have a pleasant stay. We replace our beds regularly...in fact no bed is over 8 years old and some are as new as 6 months old. As for the bathroom cabinet, some of them are older, but in no way would cause splinters! The bathroom curtains are made from towels, but not USED ones. This was an idea the previous owner came up with and we stuck with it (we will be replacing them this fall because they are too heavy for the curtain rods). The furniture is showing some signs of wear, but is still in fair condition and meet AAA standards. Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We had a large group and stayed in their larger cabin vs. the motel rooms. This was perfect with a full kitchen. Very well kept. (We looked at a guest room and everything was very clean and well kept.)

The staff was very hospitable and knew about the area. We would suggest staying her over a chain motel in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Branson, Missouri
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Each year my husband and I travel to the UP for a quick get away. We never make reservations because hunting for Mom & Pop Motels (Family Owned) is part of our adventure. The Alger Falls Motel was clean, comfortable, friendly staff and economical. For an additional $5.00 we received two breakfast passes to Sydney's Restaurant. I was worried that the traffic noise would keep me up, but I didn't hear a thing!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MBAGJK03
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I just returned from a seven night stay at the Alger Falls Motel. This is my second experience with the motel and on both occasions the accommodations were clean, spacious, comfortable, and affordable. The owner, Brenda, and her staff were very friendly and they all went the extra mile to ensure that my room was perfect. In my travels, I always seek out family owned motels and this one ranks at the top of the list. I highly recommend the Alger Falls Motel to everyone. And, the complimentary morning coffee is great!

Room Tip: Two rooms in two years and both were wonderful!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Schaumburg, Illinois
Reviewed 9 October 2010

I'm in Munising now. We call all the motels in Munising this night to try to find a room. It is totally ridiculous. We drove about 7 hours all the way from Chicago to visit the picture rocks today. I made the reservation for a suite for the stay of one night (Check in 10/09/10 Check out 10/10/10) in Alger Falls motel ON SEP 14. I bring the printed reservation email with me.
BUT while we tried to check in at about 10 pm, something ridiculous happened!!!!! The guys said the reservation was cancelled, and they cannot arrange any room for us. I'm sure I never cancelled the reservation. Is there anybody with normal sense would cancel the reservation and tried to check in at 10 PM? Then we told them to show the evidence for the cancellation. They said they do not have any evidence and treated us very very rudely. Like treating four beggars! The people who are occupying our suite now will stay here for 2 nights. But my reservation is just for 1 night. So I doubt that it is the reason why they cancel my reservation. They can get more PROFIT from the 2-ninght stay.
Then we had to travel around the town to try to find accommodation for us. All the rooms were occupied at this point. So we have to travel to another town to find rooms. We found two rooms 6 miles away from Munising. And the rate for the rooms is beyond our budget. But we do not have any other choice.
I DONOT recommend any one to make reservation with this junk. You will take the risk to be room less while travelling in the peak season.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank Wei P
afmotel, Owner at Alger Falls Motel, responded to this review, 9 November 2010
Somewhere a mistake was made with the reservation above. I had the customer down as a cancellation and he claimed not to have canceled the room. My husband and I both apologized and my husband found them another motel for the night. They persisted that they had a reservation with us. We tried to explain that there was nothing more we could do for them...we had no vacancy. After about 30 minutes they left, went to their car, and then came back in the office. They told me that they wanted us to pay for their room at the other motel. We thought this was an unreasonable request. We did offer to pay the difference, within reason, over what they were going to spend at our place. The reason they found no vacancy at the motel my husband found for them is because they stayed in our office for 45 minutes after he found the room for them. By the time they left, the other place was booked and they ended up paying more at another motel. It is ridiculous for them to suggest that we would purposely cancel their room. We wouldn't be in business long if we pulled stunts like that! I'm not sure how they can call our place junk when they didn't even occupy a room. We are a small motel with a good reputation. Please don't let this one incidence defer you from checking us out.
Ohio
Reviewed 11 August 2010

A very nice family property that is very clean and quiet, both things I value above all else in a motel. The rates are reasonable. It's a couple miles out of town so you must drive back, but it's very close and this helps keep the place quiet. I really appreciated the cleanliness. A very nice room at a good rate. I highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Detroit, MI
Reviewed 3 August 2010

After the long drive to Munising from Detroit, we were happy to check in at the Alger Falls Motel. Just as other reviews stated, it's a nice roadside motel. Clean and comfortable. We had booked on the motel website a few days before. Good rate, much cheaper than other hotels in area. We went to the suggested Sydney's restaurant for one of the best fish dinners we ever had. Came back to Alger Falls motel and crashed for the night. Slept good and the coffee in the front office was good and we brought our own cereal bars, just enough to tide us over for the Pictured Rock Cruise.
The staff was helpful, checking the weather on the lake for us, dinner suggestion, etc. We didn't check out the game room, but didn't have time to do so. Would recommend this hotels for others traveling to Munising.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank gypsi100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Munising
6.6 km away
0.0 km away
North Star Hotel – Pictured Rocks
3.0 km away
Pictured Rocks Inn & Suites

Been to Alger Falls Motel? Share your experiences!