“I would not let my dog stay here!!!!!”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I was on the road and needed a place to stay, my wife got online and booked the room for me, the room was dirty the carpets were pulling away from the walls the televisions did not work. the hallways were filthy, there were businesses that were closed down all around this hotel and there was a pothole the size of a VW BUG pulling into the entrance. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank idfallfaster

Reviewed 26 July 2010

I did read the reviews before I took my family (along with 2 other families) for a stay after visiting Michigan's Adventure. I didn't expect much except a clean hotel & room to stay for the night. Staff was friendly but unfortunately that was the only positive. There were parties going on in the hotel parking lot as well as on the stairwells. Rooms smelled horrible. Phone cords were cut, lights didn't work and security told us not to park or walk behind the hotel for safety reasons. Needless to say, we did not stay there. Find another place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Hap1525
Reviewed 27 June 2010

The first thing that greets you is a giant pot hole in the driveway that can break your axle and the hap hazard paint job on the outside ( I dont think this was an original red roof inn, it may have been a closed hotel and a red roof inn sign was slapped on it). The room smelled like fungus, when you turn on the faucet water leaks from the base of the faucet. The carpet is real old with lots of stains. You can't lock the bathroom door. The toilet was an elongated type but somebody slapped a regular round seat on it ( defeated the purpuse). The beds were suposed to be full but I think they were smaller than full. The mattress was clumpy and terrible, it hurt my back even after I flipped it, I dont think it was ever changed since 1977. The room is not worth $78/night, it was worth $45/night. The area is run down with lots of abondened buildings. Their photos are deseving.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank joe45634
Reviewed 20 June 2010

On pulling into the parking lot, we realized that this hotel was not exactly as described by other posters. The "clientelle" milling around in the parking lot made us reconsider our stay, but we thought "you can't blame the hotel for who stays there, as long as they keep things clean and quiet."

At check-in, they forced us to sign a form with a lot of things that any reasonable adult should know anyway (things like staying quiet and not leaving a huge mess in the room). And I guess if there was one good thing I could say, it was that the hotel did seem relatively quiet through the night.

Once we got to the room, we realized that there was no coffee pot (oddly enough, there were coffee packets), and that the iron was missing.

Moreover, nobody had vacuumed our room, one of the beds looked like they gave up half way through making it, and there were tufts of hair all over the desk in the room.

The television didn't quite work (with a little encouragement and some light slapping, the picture on most channels eventually came in).

When we checked out in the morning, we were overcharged for the room. We had to return in force to get them to change it back, and they acted like it was a pretty common occurrence.

We won't be staying again. Even though the price was low ($75 for a night), we felt like we got a lot less than we paid for.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Oblio84
Reviewed 12 March 2010

I found this hotel tyo be my place to come whenI need to get a piece of mind. The rooms are large, quiet, and clean that was right up my alley. The pool gave me time to get let my hair done then the hot tub was my stress reliever. The friendly staff made it so easy to spend my money. I love the breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 11 March 2010

After three stays, I feel confident in ranking this as one of the better hotels in the area. Complete with WiFi, a competant and efficient staff, well cleaned rooms, and quick access to the major shopping and historical centers of Muskegon.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 January 2010

We go to Muskegon quite often for family outings and just to get away as this trip was.. We generally stay at the Comfort Inn there in Muskegon, But my wife saw on the Internet that there was a Red Roof in town now. We have stayed in Red Roof Inns all over the country since we have been together and, although disappointed once in a while, they are all pretty similar and figured this one would be the same.She booked us a King Suite for the weekend. At only $69.99 per night, they beat Comfort Inn by over $40.

We got to the hotel about 2:00pm, which is an hour or so before there posted check-in time but the girl at the desk just smiled and said that that shouldn't be a problem. We got our suite number and were very pleasantly surprised when we got to the room. Not only was the Jacuzzi larger than the ones we had at Comfort and others, it was neatly tucked away in large room in the 2 room suite. The bed was wonderful and everything was clean.

The biggest surprise was that the furniture looked like it belonged in a much higher priced hotel. It definitely was not the normal Red Roof Inn type of furniture. There was a hair dryer in the room which made my wife happy since she had left hers at home. There was also a coffepot and ironing board. Definitely NOT normal Red Roof fare.

There is more to this hotel that we liked...free wifi, continental breakfast, and an indoor pool... although it was shut down for repairs while we were there. Next time we go there... maybe we'll even bring the kids!

I recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Muskegon area. It is far and above what we expected at a hotel where the standard rooms go for $39 a night.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Rodeway Inn Muskegon
#6 of 12 in Muskegon
5.7 km away
Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights? Share your experiences!