Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed June 17, 2018 via mobile

My dreams from my childhood came true! For 3 days and 2 nights I was transported back in time and was the lady of the Chateau! Our host and her wonderful cats greeted us with warmth and made our stay one that is memorable. She went out of her way to see that every need was met and that we were well taken care of. The rooms are elegantly decorated and comfortable. The dinner was served in a beautiful candlelit dining room and my tastebuds were enticed! Within decent driving distance from Bordeaux and other sea side cities it was one of the highlights of our most recent trip to France. My only regrets were not eating more of the tasty pastries served in the inviting breakfast room and not extending our stay! I spent a couple hours working on my latest novel with plenty of tea and treats and the company of a very friendly feline. It was such a charming stay that it inspired me in my writing. I must come back some day!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2017

We stopped overnight whilst driving from Pamplona to Paris. Sylvie gave us a warm welcome and made us feel at home. The pre-dinner drinks were excellent followed by a delicious dinner, a wonderful sleep in a very comfortable bed and an even more delicious breakfast.

A bit of a "pit stop" but exactly what we wanted. We bought some local wine and pineau produced on the estate and departed - well rested and fed. Thank you Sylvie.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2017

Warm, welcoming and personal owner, Who really tok care of all our nedsläpp. Top service by the owners personally. Good room with the extra large bed, which initially led us to this chateau. Fine dinner accompanied with fine wine.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Les Collectionneurs
Reviewed June 15, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Chateau des Salles and had the most wonderful stay. I last visited 15 years ago and was so excited to be back. Sylvie is a wonderful hostess, very helpful and attentive. The experience was very relaxing, our room was great, the food was excellent. Lots of interesting stuff to see nearby. Sylvie's recommendations were spot on! Hope to be back again real soon.

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2017 via mobile

We had a very mixed experience at this Chateau. The reviews on TripAdvisor speak very highly of the host - Sylvie, who we found to be a bit cold and headmistress-like (she scolded my husband off for asking Parlez-vous Anglais? when we arrived as she said he should learn to speak French. Fair point but harsh delivery!). We were staying there in the post-Brexit era so weren't sure if that was a reason for the slightly icy treatment. However, Sylvie was very professional and informative. She has excellent knowledge of the food and wine they serve in particular. The Cheateau itself is beautiful in many ways - it has that old, creaky charm of an old, period building. The facade is very impressive and you can relax in the peaceful gardens. However, we felt that the rooms and grounds could do with a bit more love as it is starting to get a little run down.

We dined in the restaurant on one evening. I really enjoyed it but my husband didn't. I felt the food was of a very high standard and appreciated our host's professional approach to service. The local wine was very good and reasonable. The other wines on the menu were expensive but I heard another couple speak very highly of their choice. For my husband, the atmosphere was stilted as there were just 2 other couples and with no music, we could all hear each others' conversations. He is also a particular eater and did not like the limited choice (there is only one dish on offer or a vegetarian alternative). He therefore did not eat much of his and felt it was expensive. In terms of breakfast, this was served outside on a beautiful day and this was the highlight of our stay. It was a lovely setting and we really enjoyed the food.

Overall, I am not sure this Chateau was for us but I think it would appeal to some people. If you want a peaceful break in a slightly tired but charming Chateau in beautiful countryside, then this is worth a visit.

Date of stay: July 2016