“New York in Motown!!”

Cuisines: Deli
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed June 18, 2018

I love good deli. Generally speaking you have to go to New York for the very best, BUT, The Bread Basket Deli is the exception that proves the rule. Frankly, I think the corned beef there is even better than what you find in NYC, and pastrami is close. Loads of charm and character, freshly baked Jewish rye, and the best old dills in the world, make the Bread Basket a regular haunt.

Reviewed September 22, 2017 via mobile

While the Ritzier genuine New York Jewish style delis may be out in West Bloomfield and Bloomfield Township, you can get the same great corned beef sandwich on fabulous rye bread at this little storefront in a shopping center in Oak Park on Greenfield Rd. near 10 1/2 Mile (Lincoln). You'll find it behind the McDonald's.

OK the decor seems to be unchanged from the 70s, and the food prep and unsightly server supplies and rolling dirty dish carts are right up by the front door where you have to look at them, but that's where diners prefer to sit, instead of in the back of the place. It's nearer to the action I guess. And we diners like to watch staff and customers at the other booths and hear the buzz of conversations.

If you've ever traveled around the country and hungered for a good corned beef sandwich, you realize how fortunate we are to have that good Jewish rye bread available in our area. Chicago doesn't have it. No where west of the Mississippi has it. But the genuine delis here have it. My brother lives out of town and when he visits here he can't wait to have a good deli rye bread sandwich.

I might quibble that the Russian dressing here is a bit "orangier" than the top places that make their own in house.

But I love the nice little touch of hospitality that the waitress brings you a plate of pickles when she first arrives, a mix of old and new kosher dills, to nosh while you wait for your sandwich.

Oh and I love that you can order small or large versions of the combination sandwiches. If I'm getting a bowl of chicken or barley soup, the small size is plenty generous enough.

I suppose they have other dishes than corned beef sandwiches. I wouldn't know! Corned beef on rye with Swiss cheese, cole slaw, and Russian dressing, with old dill, is about all that I ever order. My friend usually orders it grilled. It's one of the best sandwiches
on the planet. It's a number 17 1/2 here.

Enjoy.

Reviewed June 8, 2017

I ordered the 3 decker corned beef sandwich to go. The bread was toasted perfectly, the coleslaw, thousand island dressing, cheese and pickle, tasted outstanding! The people working there were very helpful, kind and caring. The $12 sandwich was HUUUUUUGH! I had 3 meals from it!

1  Thank funforever066
Reviewed March 10, 2017 via mobile

This is typical of a New York Deli including a rude waitress. The food is plentiful and tasty. Prices are also typical - not bad.

Reviewed February 13, 2017 via mobile

I made a special stop just for a Reuben. Having moved away from the area more than 15 years ago, I still remember the delicious corned beef and generously stacked deli sandwiches at Bread Basket. Still the same quality, delicious and and a good value for the portion you receive! Not disappointed!