“Nice Hotel, Very Very Thin Walls”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Petoskey
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
“Nice Hotel, Very Very Thin Walls”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights. We had the Executive Mini Suite. Very nice room with fireplace & kitchen. On our last night, a noisy family with a whiny kid moved in next door. There was no one on the other side of us. Honestly, I don't know what they were doing in there: banging stuff around, rolling stuff on the floor, the kid was whining, and we could hear the parents. Needless to say the last night was horrible. I couldn't wait to get out of there. They were just as bad in the morning. The walls are VERY THIN just like the other reviewer noted. Also, on Thursday there were so many kids running around, up and down the stair wells, in the halls, we were glad to leave. I will say that Monday and Tuesday were very nice. We had a room on the 5th floor with a valley view. Having the fireplace in the living was nice. The place is clean and the coffee is good. The breakfast isn't much to talk about. We went to J. W. Filmore's for breakfast because my kids didn't think much of the breakfast at the hotel and neither did we.

Room Tip: Stay on the 5th floor and ask not to be connected to any room on either side if that's possible...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Ithaca, Michigan
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I read all the reviews before booking at this hotel. I was attending a wedding at Castle Farms in Charlevoix and wanted to find a hotel with a pool. I stayed 2 nights in December in a Valley View Room. Friday night there were a lot of rowdy teenagers throwing each other in the pool. No supervision. I'm surprised no one got hurt. Saturday thru Sunday we had the pool to ourselves. It was heavenly. I thought the pool was quite nice. However, the towel situation is rather odd. You get your towels for the pool at the front desk and 75% of the time the towels we got were the size of a hand towel. Maybe it's part of "going green" or something. The unruley kids at the pool was a bigger turnoff for sure. I think they need a camera to watch for stuff like that.
Rating the staff I found them to be very genuine and fun indivuals. Friday night when we arrived we carried our bags up to our room and headed back to the desk to get suggestions for a good restaurant. After getting a couple promising leads, I was asking for directions. I was offered the hotel limo. Within 5 minutes the 3 of us were on our way to Papa Lou's. Papa Lou's had great food and great atmosphere. I was scoring major points with the wife and kid at this moment.
Another major bonus was the breakfast that was included. I told my wife I generally don't like the "free breakfast" at the hotels. I pretty much planned on giving it a glance and heading out to a restaurant. Yes, it does end kind of early (around 9 or so), but we got there about 8:30 and it was the best free hotel breakfast I've ever had. My 4 year old son loved making his own pancakes. The eggs seemed real (not like the cardboard ones I was anticipating). They had quite a good selection of food. If you go hungry, it's your own fault. Kitchen staff was very pleasant and really showed they had pride in what they were providing. I know we were probably lucky as the hotel wasn't very full due to the time of year.
About our room. It was clean and in good condition. I did not see any peeling paint or dirty anything. It had a 32" LCD TV. We used the microwave and fridge. (Our son has a hollow leg and thinks he needs to eat every 2 hours). The view of the Valley was a nice touch. I'm sure if we had had a nice snow fall it would have been amazing.
Would I stay there again? You know it. I hope the hotel reads this review and realize they have a good thing going. To make me happier next time, they need to monitor what goes on at the pool and come up with a towel solution.
Thanks to all the staff. From the front desk, to the cafeteria, to limo driver, and the pool guy. We enjoyed talking to all of you! Yes, I did pay for my stay and do not have any affilitation that would bias me.
-Hippie Joe

Room Tip: I think they have a 2,000 square foot penthouse room. I'm sure it would be amazing, but my Vall...
1 Thank Dave B
Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We recently stayed here on a Friday night and splurged on the presidential suite, so the kids had their own room as did my husband and I. The room was beautiful, clean, spacious...and the shower/steam room was amazing! The complimentary limo ride to supper went over well with our 4- and 8-year-olds. However, an unsupervised party of 12-14-year-old boys was taking place in the 2-story penthouse suite next to us (we were told there would be a supervised party 2 rooms down from us after we checked in)...and the front-desk staff person that evening was not helpful in getting the rug rats to quiet down. How these boys were able to stay in this room without parental supervision is a surprise to me. (I would have had them removed from the premises after all the complaints.) My family had a terrible sleep because the walls were not well-insulated. Banging, wrestling, conversations, running up/down penthouse stairs...until well after 2 AM. For the money we paid...we were NOT pleased. I was disappointed that we didn't get a credit/partial credit when my husband complained to the front desk staff the next morning; she did speak to the owner and had permission to give us extra "reward miles". The hotel itself is lovely, and the staff members were friendly. It was just unfortunate that the hotel allowed an event like this to take place without adult supervision. I wouldn't have thought this would happen at such a nice facility.

Taylorville, Illinois
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My husband and I, along with our two grandchildren stayed here and the staff could not have been more accommodating. I travel a lot for my job and stay in many different hotels. This was one of the best and friendliest.
The man at the front desk went out of his way to make our stay pleasant. This is definitely the place we will continue to stay when we visit Petoskey.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Detroit
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We have stayed here twice and have had good experiences both times. Thanks to Nancy at the front desk who helped us with our reservations, we really appreciate her flexibility. The hotel was clean and the room did not have any added odors or strong room deodorizer smell that some hotels like to use. We really appreciated that. We had a valley view room which was ideal for Fall color viewing. We had a suite with two bathrooms and we were pleased with how much room there was. It's just up the road from downtown Petoskey and Bay Harbor. Could see the bay from our balcony. I am pretty picky about cleanliness and comfort level at hotels and again, I was VERY pleased by our two stays here.

Room Tip: Beautiful views from the "valley" room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Indiana, USA
Reviewed 29 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here two nights in early September 2011. Originally we had only booked the first night; hotel staff was very helpful in accommodating us the 2nd night (even during Labor Day weekend) with the best rate they could give us.

Room was spacious and clean with a nice small balcony. Would definitely come back again. Less than 3 minutes to "downtown" Petoskey, and there were also a few chain restaurants very close by. We agree with other comments that the hotel was not a typical Holiday Inn Express- one star better! Breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Below is an issue that occurred on my recent visit to the Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Petoskey, MI.

We were very happy with the location of your facility along with the beautiful valley views. We also loved the breakfast and the pool facility.

Things were going well until several days into the trip. We had left that morning for our daily activities and room service visited our room. When we returned we could immediately tell that the room was not fully cleaned. Here are a few items that we noticed:

1. We had a suite and the coffee table in the living area had not been wiped down after breakfast.
2. Desk was not wiped down.
3. Disposable coffee cups were not replaced.
4. A couple of pieces of dry cereal from breakfast were on the floor under the desk (we have a toddler).
5. No new toiletry items (shampoo etc.)
6. Sorry this part is a little disturbing but there was still hair in the shower.

After we had noticed this and had gotten ready for dinner I stopped by the front desk to notify the staff of the situation. The woman at the desk was extremely sweet and offered to send an attendant up while we stepped out for dinner to rectify the situation.

We left for dinner and didn't think twice. Upon arrival we were frustrated to see that nothing had been cleaned.

I called back down to the front desk and asked to speak to a manager on duty. The woman on the phone notified me that there was no one on call at the moment but that she would try to assist. I told her what had happened and she obviously felt bad. She put me on hold and spoke with the housekeeping team. They told her that they had just left our room and the woman at the front desk asked what the problem was (she started to make me feel like I was lying to her and that I had a very high expectation). In reality nothing had been cleaned and I offered for her to come up to the room then (she declined). The woman on the phone said that she could send someone up then to at least clean the bathroom for me but I told her that it was too inconvenient at that point since it was almost my daughters bed time (it was currently 7:40 and my daughter goes to sleep at 8:00pm). The woman at the desk agreed and told me that she would leave a note for the manager to view in the morning.

The next morning I stopped down to the front desk to meet the manager (Nancy). She had not seen a note about my situation and told me that she was busy dealing with the police (not sure what that was about??) that morning.

After I explained the situation she seemed to understand my concerns. She asked me to wait a couple of minutes while she called housekeeping. Upon her return she told me that housekeeping was told to go up to the room the previous day and re-vacuum. They did that and found the cereal on the floor. At this point I began to get frustrated because I know they never came back to the room. I told Nancy that the cereal was STILL on the floor upstairs and she could go up there to look with me. Nancy declined. She could tell I was upset and asked what she could do to make it right. I asked her what the protocol is in this situation and she told me that she could give me a discount off another stay. Obviously this was not the right answer because I would more than likely never return if this is how it would be handled. She asked me again what would make me happy. I told her that in my bathroom at the hotel I read about the Holiday Inn Express "hospitality guarantee" and that I would like my room free for the night. She told me that she never does that since a room that wasn't cleaned didn't equal the full amount of me staying there overnight. She told me that she could give me 20% off.

Honestly I am outraged by this and I don't understand why there is a hospitality guarantee if Holiday Inn Express doesn't honor it. As Priority Club members I expected a lot more. I did not have a comfortable stay while worrying if my bathroom was clean and didn’t want to spend my day worrying about what my toddler would put in her mouth since the floor was not clean.

Note - I didn't want to resort to posting this for the public to see but after several attempts to write to corporate with no response I felt like I had no choice.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family