“Dogs running everywhere, noisy, dirty and not safe for kids.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Petoskey
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Dogs running everywhere, noisy, dirty and not safe for kids.”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed at this Holiday Inn on my last business trip north. I figured I could trust it because it's a major chain. I knew this hotel allowed dogs. I was told at the front desk, that only certain rooms allow dogs in them and I would be given a non-dog room. Well, I open the door on my room and the first thing I notice was the putrid wet dog odor. I also saw some tiny black bugs (fleas?). Went back down to the desk and told them I wanted a different room. The guy at the desk insisted it was a dog free room. No dog has ever been in there he says. I told him to go smell the room himself. He relents and gives me a different room. As he is doing this, I noticed two huge dogs behind the front desk, not on leashes. I check out the second room and it was fine. Didnt smell bad. So I decide to stay. I've got an early meeting the next day so I go to bed around 9:30. As soon as I fell asleep, the dog in the room next to me starts barking. And it keeps going, these people do nothing to shut it up. I call down to the front desk and tell them whats going on. They say they cant do anything about it. I ask them, dont they have a quiet rule? And the guy is like "well, yeh, I guess so". He says he'll give them a call. 20 minutes later the dog is still barking. I can hear the people in the room with the dog so I know it isnt alone. I call the front desk again. The guy says he's been too busy to call them. Yeh, right. I say either call them or I will and you wont like the way I do it. 10 minutes later still nothing. So I go next door and pound on their door and tell them to keep their dog quiet. And they say they are going to call the front desk about me. I pulled my cell phone out and let them know I was calling the police. That got them to shut their dog up. The next morning I get up early and go down for breakfast. Go into the dining room and see some guy feeding his dog. Right in the dining room from the food on the bufett. Someone elses little boy started walking toward the dog, I think to pet it, and the dog lunged at him. Glad the owner at least had the dog on a leash. The people who had the little boy quickly got out of there. I decide at that point to switch hotels. I go to the front desk to cancel my second night and the manager informs me that there is a complaint against me. Must have been made by the people in the room next to me. Basically, he told me I wasnt welcome for a second night. He was real arrogant about it. I think he's the one with all the dogs and he's letting them run around all over the hotel as they please. What is this guy going to do if they maim someones child? I dont feel this place is safe for children, not with all the dogs running around. It's just a lawsuit waiting to happen. I'm planning to contact the Holiday Inn corporation about this. I dont recommend staying here. The place smells bad, isnt clean (fleas) and not safe.

Room Tip: Don't stay here especially if you have children.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Dave D
Marjaree F, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Petoskey, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Dear Dave D,

Thank you for notifying us of your complaint. We strive to provide our guests with the best service we can, and when you feel it fails to meet your expectations, it is important for us to know. We regret any inconvenience or frustration that your experience has caused you and be assured that we've notified the proper department of your complaint. We value you as a guest and thank you for giving us the chance to improve ourselves.

Marjaree Forbes
Sales
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Petoskey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here Mid-April so it is there low season. Ronnie at the front desk was very willing to try a couple of different things to find the best deal for us. The rooms are very clean and are a very good size. They are customer service experts. They offer a free Limo shuttle from 3pm-12am any where in town. And they also have a breakfast to your room service , limited items, but sure beat walking down to the lobby in your pajamas...lol

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, they seem very willing to if rooms are available
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chipguy98
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stay in Holiday Inn brand hotels 7 to 8 months a year for work and have seen most of the Country. I have never been more disapointed and flat out turned off by a hotel. This hotel charges premium prices for their location to the popular ski resorts but give the worst possible service. The staff is rude and the managers dont care about customer service. I promise the next ski trip we take up to that area, we will not be wasting our time or money at this hotel

Room Tip: just avoid this place all together and stay in Gaylord instead
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gregw357
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Petoskey, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear gregw357,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel and rates less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Katie J
IHGCare
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This is a terrific property. Desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Property is clean and in good shape. Fifth floor suites are great...if you're a platinum member or happen to be lucky you will receive a nice room upgrade. Breakfast is always tasty....nothing like an automatic pancake machine! If planning to stay along the 131 strip in Petoskey this is the best hotel along there. Have stayed at nearly all the adjacent properties and this place is worth spending a little bit more.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Michigan
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Warm welcome from front desk was the start of a very enjoyable stay at Holiday Inn. All the staff was friendly. Hotel was clean and up-to-date. Beautiful view of the valley.

Breakfast (free) was delicious with a variety of food. Eggs, ham, sausage, buiscuits & gravy, cereal, yogurt, cinnamon rolls, bagels, toast, and pancakes.

Pool was clean, but towels very tiny. Front desk will provide larger old bath towels if requested. If it is sunny outside, bring your sunglasses because the pool room has huge windows for walls.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the valley - for the beautiful view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Out of control children rule this hotel- from screaming thru the halls, knocking & ringing doorbells to guests rooms, taking over the stairways & elevators, etc- some of them not even guests in the hotel but staff who bring kids to work w/ them! Also "pet friendly" is interpreted as they will call police if your dog barks at the crazy kids! Rudest manager I have ever encountered!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank FamWilli
Sydney
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Warm, welcoming hotel in a good location. Great value and beautiful views from the balcony.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple