“Great place to unwind, have a laugh, or bowl a few games”

Wagon Wheel American Grill
Ranked #4 of 23 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: Great Family atmosphere, or place to enjoy a game of bowling while watching your favorite sporting event with your friends and family. Our banquet rooms are great for meetings and events for family and friends. Conveniently located 35 miles from Grand Rapids and 20 miles from Lansing.
Reviewed March 20, 2016 via mobile

The Wagon Wheel or the "Wheel" as locals call it has a great atmosphere. You can go sit at the bar, bowl a few games, listen to a comedian, or have a good meal. They recently added a wood fire oven for pizza and have a decent menu. They have dinner specials every night and it's a fan favorite of the locals. The pork loin special on Tuesday is to die for!

Date of visit: March 2016

Reviewed January 11, 2016 via mobile

Met up with good friends, never been to this place. Ate on the patio where the pizza oven is. Was kinda chilly, TVs up a bit too high. For a late Saturday afternoon, there was clearly not enough staff. This place is also a bowling alley. Didn't really venture over to that area. Our poor waitress had our large group (almost 30) to herself. She busted her tail to keep drinks going, keep tabs separated, answer questions. Soup of the day was Pork Stew, which met with uninterested discussion, most thought it sounded gross. No one ordered it. And it was the only choice. Hubby had a calzone, which he said was good. I ordered the Mac and cheese, which wasn't too bad. A friend ordered her fave of the place, BBQ chicken pizza. That was good. Loved the crust, which are hand tossed right in front of you then put in the large fire flame oven. Dessert menu was a bit weak. Might go back.

Date of visit: January 2016
jomadimo, Owner at Wagon Wheel American Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2016

Thanks for your review. We just remodeled our patio area and are waiting for a new furnace to be finished in that area. In regards to the TV's being a little high we were limited due to the fact that all those patio windows open. I welcome you to come back and see our progress, we are always reviewing our staff and menu options. Thanks for your time Chopper......

Reviewed November 29, 2015 via mobile

We went to Portland for my basketball tournament. My dad, my brother and I went to the Wagon Wheel grill. It was really good and our server was really attentive. I had boneless wings which were amazing. My brother had a giant hamburger, which he also said was amazing. And last but not least my dad had a cod basket which again, was awesome. I really liked the atmosphere. There were a good amount of TV's, not as much as Buffalo Wild Wings, so that was nice. We sat in the area that had the pizza oven. It was a little cold in there so I suggest you bring a jacket in there, but otherwise this is a totally amazing restaurant, and if you are in Portland, you should go there.

Date of visit: November 2015
1  Thank sjdub86
jomadimo, Owner at Wagon Wheel American Grill, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2015

Thanks for the great review. For an FYI I met with my HVAC guy today about that issue...Have a great Holiday Season..Chopper

Reviewed November 12, 2015

If it's been awhile since you've been to the Wagon Wheel, you won't recognize the place! Chopper and Jonda have given the place a total makeover that opens up the front, bringing in lots of natural light and making it seem so much more spacious.

The menu has changed, too. You won't be disappointed!

Date of visit: November 2015

Thanks.... We really appreciate your review...Chopper and Jonda..
PS we even enjoy the extra daylight....

Reviewed August 21, 2015 via mobile

Great food, great service, great environment. Happy place that is very welcoming. Burgers are fantastic. They have the best breads ticks I have ever had.

Date of visit: June 2015
1  Thank faldain
jomadimo, Owner at Wagon Wheel American Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2015

Hi Thanks for the great review. We have now completed our remodeling project. Please stop in again and try our new menu and wood fired pizza...Chopper