“Beautiful house, but overall experience wasn't great” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Montague Inn

Montague Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Saginaw B&B and Inns
Ohio
“Beautiful house, but overall experience wasn't great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

The house is gorgeous and it was fun to look around it. But that was the high point of our 2-night stay. Don't stay on the third floor in the summer--the AC is insufficient. Our bed was very creaky and the mattress badly needed to be replaced. Both of us had back aches and slept very poorly. To be a top-notch place to stay, some updates are really needed. This is not a B&B, so don't expect breakfast. There was no dinner available at all while we were there. There were, however, loud groups of people on the patio until 1 in the morning. The neighborhood didn't worry us--it's not exactly a residential area, but it's not that bad.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jeneric717

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2010

We stayed last weekend at the Montague and it was a delightful experience. We were not able to have dinner as we had come to Saginaw for a benefit performance at the White Crow Conservatory and time did not permit both. The staff was warm and welcoming; Naomi showed us thru the entire place.

The location is perfect and the grounds are well maintained.

Breakfast the next morning was wonderful. The Montague has a new chef, Jonothan Matousak, and his presentation rivaled that of many top notch hotels where we have stayed. There were 3 couples in our party and the staff encouraged us to linger and visit for as long as we wanted. The food was great; if the quiche was frozen as another reviewer stated-(which I am sure it was not)-I would love to know where they purchased it.

Thr room we stayed in was charming. I felt the Inn was very well maintained and obviously well cared for and loved.

All in all, it was a great experience and I hope to attend both the White Crow Conservatory of Music and stay at the Montague again in the near future. I will feel as if I am with old, dear friends at both places.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zilchMichigan
Traverse City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2010

Very classy and extremely well-kept and well-managed bed and breakfast. A step back in time in this spectacular 12,000 sq. ft. mansion built in 1929-30. The rooms are neat and clean. Beds comfy. Staff is wonderful. And the food...oh my gosh...the food alone would merit a visit. We drove down from Traverse City and will come back again. Any excuse will do!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank gomabe329
Highland, MI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

My wife and I spent the weekend at the Montague as we had stayed there in the past- this time we sprung for the Montague Suite as we thought we would appreciate the fireplace on such a cold weekend.

Upon our arrival the greeting from the desk staff would be best described as” rude”. She, while looking at the computer screen at my name etc, stuck out her hand and said ”Card”. Ok, I thought- “Pardon?” – Card, your card….” The staff seemed to be miffed at the fact that she was being bothered by our presence- was more interested in visiting her “friend” that was sitting with her in the library.

She gave me the key and said- Its at the top of the stairs- At no time did she say- Welcome to the Montague”, give me any information about the breakfast or even inform me that breakfast was included etc. It would have been nice if the desk staff would have shown us our room, explained it amenities etc. Since there was little to do or few guests- a bit more attention to the customers rather than to her friend would have been a wiser plan.

First impressions of the inn are important- there are many hand marks / dirty smudges on the door entering the inn as well as many cigarette butts in the can outside. Paint is chipping on the shutters, the inside needs a good paint job as it is looking old and probably has not been painted since the house was refurbished. I would estimate that is had to have been 20 years ago. Plaster is falling from the walls, the radiator leaks in the Montague suite- so badly that the wall has the paint flaking off and the floor has sustained some damage from the water leaking.

The bed has a tendency to “fall” about an inch when you first lay down on it- it feels like the mattress has not been replaced in many many years.

Breakfast would be best described as burdensome chore upon the staff- they seemed disinterested in doing their job. Cold boiled eggs, bagels (frozen) right out of the bag, a frozen Sara Lee quiche- The only thing that was good was the coffee and that was poor in abundance.

While we were informed that there was dinner on Saturday evening, we had decided that if the dinner was anything like the breakfast- we would prefer to eat elsewhere. I can imagine the dinner- the food was cooked many days before- reheated in a microwave and served up cold…

Sunday breakfast- the staff said- " Oh, its a good thing you got up now- I was about to put everything away." It was 9:00........my wife and I got our bagels and then the staff puts everything away. The coffe pot was 20 % full and huffed that she would get more. All in all- very poor. The other people that came down after us were faced with nothing and seemed perplexed upon the lack of breakfast.

All in all- the "new" Montague is poorly lacking in customer care, it needs a facelift as the Inn is looking very tired. Just some proper cleaning would also be beneficial.

If i wanted to stay at Motel 6, I would do so- I don't expect the same service as Motel 6 when I stay at the Montague.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank longbranchno4

Travellers are raving about these Saginaw hotels

travelgirrl2
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

I had read some review of the Montague Inn before arriving but after booking and was a bit nervous about what the accommodations would be. Well, there was no need to be nervous!!! The Inn was exactly what I wanted it to be. I felt like we had stepped back in time. The staff was great and the surroundings were nothing short of MAGICAL. The location is not the greatest, but that doesn't even matter because the grounds are so beautiful. We were all the way up on the 3rd floor in a lovely little room that suited us perfectly. I would strongly suggest this reasonably bed and breakfast to anyone who is considering a weekend at Frankenmuth:)

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Bay City, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2010

The Montague Inn is simply amazing. My wife and I love it and have been treated with the utmost respect and friendliness and have always felt like we were special. Our dinner this past trip (New Years Eve) was spent in the gorgeous and wonderfully romantic Robert's Room. The fireplace and Christmas tree in the room were both really a nice surprise. As for our meal, I had the Beef Medallions which were cooked perfectly and my wife had the Lamb Shankwhich was so tender it was falling off of the bone. Our server was bright and bubbly and let us take our time through all the courses of a wonderful dining experience in the very crowded dining room. We expected the crowd as it was a holiday so there is no use complaining about a restaurant that is busy. I believe some people find things to complain about and it's too bad. I 110% recommend the Montague Inn

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

This was the worst experience of my entire life! We had dinner reservations for 8 people at 6:30 to celebrate my Mothers 85th birthday. Four of us traveled from Tampa Fl and the rest were local. I guess I should have been worried from the start when on a Friday evening there were only two cars in the entire parking lot.
We were greeted eventually by a younger man that was poorly dressed. Our waiter was very nice and I believe his name was Justin. Believe me he was the only bright spot in the entire evening.
We placed our drink order and every beer that was ordered they advised us they were out of.
We all ordered our meals from a very very limited and somewhat expensive menu. Only one person ordered an appetizer which was a shrimp cocktail which took about 45 minutes to come out to the table. It would have been better if it didn't come out as it tasted like rubber and was just horrible.
We kept asking the waiter for the status of our food and he kept telling us it would be out soon as the cooks were busy. I looked around in the different rooms and at this point there were two tables occupied. One table had 4 people that had just arrived and had not even ordered and the other table I believe had 3 people. After aother 45 minutes our food started to come out however only 5 of the 8 meals ever arrived. The chicken breast I ordered (they served one small breast) along with the veggies was ice cold. My sister ordered the veggie ravioli, which was "warm" but edible. My husband ordered the Beef Medallions which were not tenderloin as advertised but a cheap over done chewy piece of cold beef. I could go on about the food and lack of food but will stop here. After 20 minutes of wating for the additional meals we got up to leave. Our waiter had no idea what to do and the other female waitress said she kept trying to call management to see how to handle but couldn't get anyone on the phone. Long story short we ended up paying $62.00 for drinks.
This is how we spent over 2 hours for my Mothers 85th birthday. This should have been a very memorable experience and was a total nightmare! We walked away sad, frustrated and very hungry.
I just pray this never happens to anyone else. The owner Naomi has my phone number as she called to verify the reservation but could not pick up the phone to apologize.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank ShelbySue06
salesmanagerM, Manager at Montague Inn, responded to this review, 10 November 2009
Dear Guest: Thank you for taking time to write review. We strive to provide the proper service to our guests. We always welcome comments from our guests. That helps us to improve our service. I have few comments about your review; first able, you never mentioned that you are booking a birthday party and you all are paying separately. You reserved for regular dining for 8 people. Server took order on individual ticket. Chef cooks food as ticket comes – first come first serve. Two people got dinner late. This is a fine dining restaurant, we expect our guest have at least two hours for their dining. Our lead server came to your table and apologized for the delay. You said to her that you did not eat at all and you did not pay the entire food bill. Now I see that you ate and everybody has to say something about our food. We use best food supplier, we serve 8 oz tenderloin beef and 6oz chicken breast. I apologize that we could not still meet your expectation after all we provided you free food and services on that evening.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saginaw
19.7 km away
19.6 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
7.2 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Saginaw

Been to Montague Inn? Share your experiences!