“Great pizza, excellent sauce”

East of Chicago Pizza
Ranked #49 of 106 Restaurants in Saint Joseph
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed July 28, 2016 via mobile

Went here with the family while on vacation at Benton Harbor. Had the Chicago style pizza and it was extremely good. Great marinara sauce on top of the pizza. Service was very good. If we lived in the area it would certainly be a regular place for us to eat at.

Date of visit: July 2016
2  Thank 607amandas

Reviewed June 3, 2016

I have ordered pizza from here many times with my family. Something in our order is messed up about a third of the time, but we like the pizza so we keep getting it. Whenever they get it wrong they apologize and offer to fix it. Sometimes we go back and exchange the food we received for the correct food, others we take them up on a free pizza the next time, and sometimes we simply take their apologies and eat the incorrect pizza. Today this was not my experience. I got home with my pizza and realized it was the incorrect pizza. I called the restaurant to inform them of this, thinking that they would offer to deliver the correct pizza and take away the incorrect one. Instead I was put on hold for a couple of minutes and then the woman who gave me my pizza got on the line. When I informed her that there was no pineapple on my pineapple pizza she told me, "I made that pizza myself so I know that there is pineapple on it." I informed her that I took the cheese off of the pizza looking for it, she responded, "well I hope you didn't take the wrong pizza." I told her that I took the pizza that she handed me. She then told me to bring the pizza in and they will put the correct one in the oven for me. I brought in the pizza and waited at an empty counter for a four minutes and then a woman from in back yelled that she would be with me in a minute (there were five staff members there). A different woman came up to me and asked if this was the wrong pizza and I told her yes. She said nothing else and took it away. Then the peppier woman came up to help me, I informed her that my order had been incorrect and that the other woman had already taken away my pizza. Then a third woman (still not the woman I spoke on the phone with and who gave me my pizza) came up and put the pizza osn the counter and said, "make sure your pizza is right." When I told her it was she turned around and walked away. I was not looking for a free pizza tonight, all I wanted was what I ordered and an apology. While I received the correct pizza eventually I never received an apology. I like the pizza here but the cost of the dreadful service is too high.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed November 14, 2015

Chicago style pizza to me is outstanding. BLT or meatball sandwich as well.
Hot wings, zesty garlic wings super good. Prices and location just hit the spot and we like the food just fine.

Date of visit: November 2015
2  Thank Al C
Reviewed August 17, 2015

I love the pizza from here, it's my favorite in town. They have a decent variety of different kinds of crusts, including gluten free. The staff are rather slow and don't seem to know their stuff and it's a bit pricey to always make sure to check the specials for the day.

Date of visit: July 2015
2  Thank annasB2389QZ
Reviewed July 30, 2015

we were passing through and had a taste for Chicago style pizza. saw this place pop up on the Internet search and went for it. not too far out of the way - though BOTH Apple and Google maps got it slightly wrong; it's in a little strip of stores across the street from the big TruValue hardware store. service was excellent & prompt. our waitress anticipated our needs and responded great to every request. pizza was great ---- just like we ordered. though, it wasn't true "Gino's of Chicago" deep-deep dish. but the price was great and it met our wishes. worth the stop!

Date of visit: July 2015