“Old but clean”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Reviewed 8 August 2017

We were terribly disappointed upon arriving at the property. It is easy to overlook this motel as it sits back from the road and has a derelict look to it. This location really should be torn down and re-built. It is something bad from the past. Yes, it was clean but we could not get comfortable with the small room, dated bathroom, or the overall look. Booked for two nights, left after the first night. I'd have preferred to sleep in the car and shower at a truck stop.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank tblevins2017
viren p, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Dear tblevins2017,

Thank you for sharing your experience, and I am so sorry to learn that we failed to meet your expectations of quality service and accommodations. We appreciate your time in pointing out the areas in most need of attention as we work towards updating and improving upon our accommodations. Your voice is very valuable to us and we hope you will return to experience the improvements that we are continuously making to improve upon the guest experience with every stay.

Reviewed 16 July 2017

We stopped here on a roadtrip, it was probably the best price in the area, and I'd agree with everything every other review has said. It's an OK place to stay, it's got parking, it's a shame the pool is out of order and covered but that's not a deal breaker.
The place was a low price and was a basic level of accommodation with aircon that worked. The place was clean, rooms basic, free breakfast. It's close to lots of places to eat too. Don't expect the Hilton at this price!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
viren p, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Dear RaddogUK,

We are so glad to know that you had a great time with us and thank you so much for appreciating our efforts of providing you with clean and comfortable accommodations in a reasonable cost. We would love to have you back and we do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2017

We just stayed 2 days at the Econo Lodge in Saint Joseph, MI. Honestly I didn't want to stay in a motel originally but after seeing the prices of the other hotels in the area and reading these reviews we thought we'd take a shot at this place.
Yes easy to find, parking spaces, & close to town all true. You can tell they've attempted to update although still pretty rough and didn't feel super clean to me. It was average for a motel. The room was dark and I didn't feel super comfortable. Within the first 5 minutes in the room I did smell urine. I went to the front desk and a nice young man did come to room, admitted it smelled he thought it was musty. He sprayed some room scent spray at my request. But as you walk towards the bathroom the urine smell was super strong. I know I have a strong sniffer so taking this under consideration thought it could just be me. BUT I am staying here and paying for this too. After the first night not sleeping well I went and bought 2 room deoderizers, that seemed to help some. I just didn't want the fuss of dealing with moving to a new hotel so we stayed. But honestly I wouldn't stay again. Maybe the other rooms are better this one however just needs a deep cleaning.
The staff was nice and the breakfast decent with a waffle maker.
I did let the woman at the counter know of the problem and that was that. I will probably next time pay more money to stay at a different place.
Disclaimer I am not super snobby or a germ fobe and I have stayed at plenty of places I want to be fair.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Autumnd7
viren p, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Dear Autumnd7,

Thank you for pointing out the issues with housekeeping so that we can work to improve upon this aspect of the guest experience at our hotel. Our housekeeping staff is held to a very high standard and we appreciate that you've informed us of a need to address housekeeping policies and procedures. We appreciate your rating and we are deeply saddened to hear that you are seeking out other hotels due to the lapse in service you experienced during your recent stay.

Reviewed 28 June 2017

Outside looks a little rough, but it is a motel afterall. Our room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. Everything in the room worked. They provide a free breakfast which is always a nice perk. Pool was drained and covered, so not sure if they are doing maintenance or eliminating it, but beach is very close by. Staff was very friendly!! We would recommend this motel and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
viren p, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Dear Laura91,

Thank you for your kind review and compliments to the dining offered at Econo Lodge hotel. It is very rewarding to hear your perspective of our hotel and we appreciate that you have acknowledged our efforts to provide a clean, comfortable, and hospitable experience. On behalf of our entire staff, we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 10 June 2017

We arrived ready to meet friends, have dinner and rest up after a long drive. After checking into our hotel, although the room and furnishings were very worn, I was pleased that it was very clean. This is my number 1 requirement before I stay. No bugs and a comfy bed awaited us.

The staff all were very friendly and accommodating, even in the small breakfast area. It was a good restful stay.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
viren p, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Dear Retired-n-travelin,

I am so glad to hear from you and to discover that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. It is very rewarding to hear your perspective of our hotel and we appreciate that you have acknowledged our efforts to provide a clean, comfortable, and hospitable experience. On behalf of our entire staff, we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

All that matters to me when picking a hotel is clean accommodations and this place certainly is clean. The staff are extremely friendly! Only about a 5 minute drive from the beach and cute downtown area.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Maggie O

Dear Maggie O,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and review regarding your most recent stay with us. I am so glad that you found our hotel to be clean and convenient and that you enjoyed the accommodations and hospitality that we strive to show to each guest, during every stay. Your feedback will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to provide an exceptional and memorable experience for every guest.

Reviewed 7 June 2017

Very clean updated room at a reasonable rate. It was a convenient location for the purpose of my visit. The front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful when I needed a map of the area and I would choose this property again the next time I return to the area.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
viren p, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2017

cansmu,

Thank you so much for sharing your review and giving us an honest look at the guest experience in our hotel.I am glad that you enjoyed the value and the convenient location of our hotel! We are delighted by your compliments, rating and review of our high housekeeping and hospitality of our staff. It means a lot to us that you've allowed us to be such an important part of your family vacation and we thank you for sharing your five star experience!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Joseph
6.7 km away
Comfort Suites St.Joseph / Stevensville
5.4 km away
Best Western Benton Harbor - St. Joseph

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!